Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Weekly Fan Predictions (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=90985)

RichardCullinanForever 09-06-2012 05:36 PM

Weekly Fan Predictions

We'll do this thing weekly, but just state who you think will win each game (with or without the spread - that's up to you), and maybe a brief summary of each pick. I'll start. And we can sort of keep score throughout the season to determine who is the 'prediction master.'

IND @ CHI - Chicago, by a wide margin, I don't expect much out of the Colts aside from a few good throws by Luck.

PHI @ CLE - Philly, although may be a little rusty, will take the cake. Cmon, it's the Brownies, need I say more?

STL @ DET - Detroit, the Rams are just a bad team. May have a better season than last year, but are still weak.

NE @ TEN - New England, I think a lot of people are overlooking the Titans though. Look for a competitive game, although it's too bold to bet against Brady and the Pats.

ATL @ KC - Kansas City, this is a tough one to pick, but with KC at home and Atlanta with new O & D coaches, I expect Atlanta to falter.

JAC @ MIN - Jacksonville, both are pretty poor teams, but with Jacksonville's new owner attempting to fire everyone up and MJD's return, Jacksonville should be able to run all over Minnesota.

WSH @ NO - New Orleans, although I think we'll see some rust and struggle out of the Saints, Drew Brees will take control and put up enough points to win.

BUF @ NYJ - Buffalo, the Jets looked poor in the preseason, and with all the hype for them to preform, I expect them to fall flat on their face. Buffalo by a couple TD's.

MIA @ HOU - Houston, this will be the blowout game of the week. Houston is just too good for Miami to handle and will overwhelm them on the scoreboard.

SF @ GB - San Fran, another tough game to choose and perhaps the game of the week. Hard to go against Rodgers and the Pack's offense, but I see SF's defense taking some of the pressure off of Alex Smith. As long as they can get in the endzone a couple times, the best D in the league should be able to hold off the best offense in the league.

SEA @ ARI - Seattle, word on the street is that the Cardinals are plain bad, so I'm going to trust that analysis.

CAR @ TB - Carolina, although this is sort of an iffy pick, Cam Newton is too explosive and durable for any team with a bad defense to handle (TB finished dead last in 2011).

PIT @ DEN - Pittsburgh, if our offense can be as explosive as it should be with the kind of rare talent we have a WR, even with an 'old defense,' I think we can overwhelm the Broncos D. Our O-line has to play at least average for us to have a chance. The Steelers never seem to completely dominate their opponents, and although I am still sort of nervous for our 2012 team, I think we are better than the Broncos with or without Manning. It will be close only because we are on the road (and we sort of suck on the road). Steelers by a TD.

CIN @ BAL - Baltimore, I'm not yet sold on Cinci yet and although they are still developing as a soon-to-be-threat type of a team, the physicality of Baltimore should handle Cinci pretty good.

SD @ OAK - San Diego, Rivers needs to finally prove that he is a great QB EARLY in the season. Won't necessarily be an easy victory, but I think the Chargers come out on top in an important divisional game.

KManX89 09-12-2012 07:06 PM

Re: Weekly Fan Predictions

I tried posting my picks w/a brief description, but it logged me out, so rather than retyping all that, I'm just gonna go ahead and give my picks for each game this week (and maybe give a very short explanation instead of going into full detail like before):

Chicago @ Green Bay-Packers face a much weaker D this week (who had trouble against a rookie QB at home in week 1) and are hungry and motivated after a tough loss against San Fran.

Oakland @ Miami-It's the Phins (who have no offense to speak of), I'm not so sure this should even warrant an explanation here.

Cleveland @ Cincinnati-Get the lowly Browns and their 28 year old rookie QB at home coming off a huge loss at Baltimore.

Kansas City @ Buffalo-Big turn around game for the Chiefs after the tough loss at home against the Dirty Birds.

Baltimore @ Philadelphia-4 picks and a last second Vick TD pass ain't gonna cut it against this vaunted Ravens crew.

Minnesota @ Indianapolis-2 potential cellar dwellar teams, I'm picking the one that plays at home this week "just because".

Arizona @ New England-Another gimme for the Pats this week (these guys somehow get lucky every damn year with their schedule).

New Orleans @ Carolina-Turns out the Saints are "who we thought they were" without both their HC and (for the moment) interim HC after losing to the 'Skins at home last week, I'm taking the Cats here.

Tampa Bay @ New York Giants-Turnaround game for the defending Champs after the heartbreaking loss in the regular season home opener against Dallas.

Washington @ St. Louis-Rams had 3 picks against Matt Stafford, were facing the terrible Lions D, and still couldn't get the win last week, I'm going with the 'Skins to get off to an unexpected 2-0 start (that I don't think will hold).

Dallas @ Seattle-Big D walked the walk and talked the talk in scoring the upset against the G-Men at the Meadowlands, so look for another 2-0 start here.

Tennessee @ San Diego-The Titans don't have the home field advantage this week, while the Bolts are fresh off a win at Oakland on MNF, I'd say the Chargers are the next team to get off to a 2-0 start here.

NY Jets @ Pittsburgh-Another game with potential long-term implications for the home team. Like the Pack and G-Men, I'm going with the Steelers to get the win and turnaround from week 1. Plus, I don't think the Jets are really as good as their 48-28 win against the Bills in week 1.

Detroit @ San Francisco-Niners get another anemic D, at home this time, plus they certainly have the D to hold off the Lions attack, I'm going 9ers here.

Denver @ Atlanta-Matty Ice is hot off a 3 TD performance against the Chiefs D at Kansas City, plus the Dirty Birds are always tough to beat at home, I'm going Falcons here.

RichardCullinanForever 09-13-2012 01:18 PM

I went 8-7 week 1 (I didn't get the Giants game in in-time, although I honestly thought the Cowboys would win. Giants made a good playoff run last year, and that's it.)

I'll get my week 2 predictions in by the weekend.

KManX89 09-13-2012 02:03 PM

^I signed up for NFL Weekly Pick 'Em and guessed 5 games wrong: (DAL @ NYG, SF @ GB, ARI @ SEA, WAS @ NO, and BUF @ NYJ), which ain't bad, I guess, but there's plenty of people who did better than me.

This week looks even tougher to predict as far as games are concerned.

RichardCullinanForever 09-13-2012 04:49 PM

Yeah, this week is going to be tougher than last. And since the first game starts tonight, I'll get that pick in now.

GB @ Chicago. I'll take the Packers. I know everyone in the Packers organization is expecting a huge rebound after their week one loss, and so am I. Yet I'm also not underestimating how big of a game this is for the Bears and how pumped Solider Field is going to be. I imagine it will be a physical & close contest (unless Green Bay pulls ahead late, sort of like what happened to the Steelers in Denver). My heart says go with the Bears (I would love to see the Pack start 0-2) but my brain says go with the Packers. Green Bay it is. 26-17 final.

Galax Steeler 09-14-2012 05:23 AM

You are off to a good start you hit the first pick.

RichardCullinanForever 09-14-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCullinanForever (Post 1028796)
Yeah, this week is going to be tougher than last. And since the first game starts tonight, I'll get that pick in now.

GB @ Chicago. I'll take the Packers. I know everyone in the Packers organization is expecting a huge rebound after their week one loss, and so am I. Yet I'm also not underestimating how big of a game this is for the Bears and how pumped Solider Field is going to be. I imagine it will be a physical & close contest (unless Green Bay pulls ahead late, sort of like what happened to the Steelers in Denver). My heart says go with the Bears (I would love to see the Pack start 0-2) but my brain says go with the Packers. Green Bay it is. 26-17 final.

I'm a little embarrassed, the game was in Lambeau. I just figured since the Packers opened up at home, then their 2nd game would be on the road. Oh well, I would rather save some of my home games for later in the season...

KManX89 09-14-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galax Steeler (Post 1028896)
You are off to a good start you hit the first pick.

Yup, apparently Rodgers didn't carve up the Bears D like I thought after getting lit up by a rookie QB at home in week 1 (though the various drops and Finley fumble at the Bears 10 yard line didn't help), but the Pack won, anyway. And the Packers also played 10 times better defensively than in week 1 apparently (finally seeing some man coverage from this D, quite a difference that makes as opposed to playing DBs 10 yards off the receivers, eh?).

We'll see how the rest of the games play out, off to a good start so far this week, and I scored big on my pick for last night's game on NFL Weekly Pick 'Em, but I'm still trailing by 40 points:

My weekly picks:
http://challengegames.nfl.com/pickem...entry_id=46790

Leaderboard:
http://challengegames.nfl.com/pickem/leaderboard

RichardCullinanForever 09-16-2012 11:50 AM

Oakland @ Miami - Oakland. They didn't look terrible in week 1, and they are playing a bad team.

Cleveland @ Cincinnati - Cinci. Trying to rebound after week 1 blowout.

Kansas City @ Buffalo - KC. Bills looked terrible against an average team (the Jets), KC should be able to handle them.

Baltimore @ Philadelphia - Baltimore. Philly is going to be pumped for this one, and while I don't see a total blowout, I do see the Ravens winning by a couple scores. If the Eagles offense doesn't make mistakes and is able to confuse the Ravens D, could be a good game.

Minnesota @ Indianapolis - Minnesota. This is tricky. Could go either way.

Arizona @ New England - Patriots. They'll win big.

New Orleans @ Carolina - New Orleans. Drew Brees needs to step up for his city, which I'm sure he will.

Tampa Bay @ New York Giants - New York. Probably will be close just because I think the Giants are an overhyped group.

Washington @ St. Louis - Washington. RG3's performance in week 1 was insane and I expect him to play as good, or better, week 2.

Dallas @ Seattle - Dallas. Could this finally be their year? I doubt it, but they sure did look good in week 1. Hopefully they're focused and not overlooking playing in Seattle.

Tennessee @ San Diego - San Diego. I'll take the Chargers at home.

NY Jets @ Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh. Steelers have got to rebound if they want to get anywhere this season. I heard a stat that said the Steelers haven't lost back-to-back games in something like 3 years.

Detroit @ San Francisco - San Fran. Best team in the league at home? I'd be crazy to pick otherwise.

Denver @ Atlanta - Denver. Tough game here because I think both teams are a bit overhyped/overrated. Falcons are at home so they have the advantage there, but their QB is far less experienced than Peyton.

KManX89 09-20-2012 02:58 PM

Week 3 predictions (w/analysis):

NY Giants @ Carolina-Could go either way, but I'm picking the Panthers only because: 1)they're at home, and 2)both Hakeem Nicks and Ahmad Bradshaw are out for this game; if not for the injuries, I might go G-Men here.

Jacksonville @ Indianapolis-Another meaningless game between 2 teams with perennial top 5 picks in next year's draft, once again, I'm going with the one that's playing at home by default (and who's QB doesn't appear to be struggling as much in the early going).

Buffalo @ Cleveland-Bills proved me wrong last week (actually, make that 2 weeks in a row), get a terrible opponent this week, albeit on the road, I'm going Bills here.

New York Jets @ Miami-Tough game to call between 2 bad teams, but I trust the Jets D to contain the Phins' abysmal offense (who I think overachieved against the laughable Raiders last week, and I know I'm not alone on that) moreso than I trust the Phins to contain Sanchez, Holmes, Hill, and Co. (even at home).

Kansas City @ New Orleans-Saints were in it until the very end in what was a very exciting game at Carolina last week, plus the Chiefs have just been pathetic so far, I predict their skid ends here (I still don't think they'll make the playoffs, though, with all the post-BountyGate turmoil they're dealing with).

Cincinnati @ Washington-With both Carriker and Orakpo out for the season, I'm taking the Bengals here. Those injuries notwithstanding, I might've picked the Skins, but now, I'm tempted to go with Cinci to get the win here.

Detroit @ Tennessee-The Titans are just plain bad, plus the Lions actually made it a game against a very tough Niners team at Candlestick last week.

San Francisco @ Minnesota-There's no question, the Niners will destroy the Vikes here (barring a huge meltdown from San Fran and/or a barrage of injuries to key players).

St. Louis @ Chicago-Bears will bounce back at home after the letdown against the Pack in week 2 at Lambeau.

Tampa Bay @ Dallas-Dallas didn't live up to expectations following the huge week 1 upset at the Meadowlands and just came up flat last week in Seattle, but I think they'll rebound big here (against a squad that got burned for 510 passing yards, also on the road, last week).

Atlanta @ San Diego-Another tough game between 2 2-0 teams, my heart tells me to pick the one playing at home this week, but my head tells me to go with the one that scored their 2 victories playing against significantly tougher competition (@ KC in week 1 and against Peyton and Co. in week 2). Be that as it may, I'm picking the Falcons here, but again, this one's tough to call (SD did win big in their first 2 games, but did so against 2 teams who aren't very good; the Raiders and Titans, respectively).

Philadelphia @ Arizona-The Cards shocked us all after scoring the upset at Foxboro last week, but I'm not sold on them just yet. Plus, the Eagles outplayed a very good Ravens team last week and, if not for the turnover differential, that game wouldn't have been close.

Pittsburgh @ Oakland-Much like the Niners-Vikes, this game's too easy to call. Pittsburgh will destroy the Raiders.

Houston @ Denver-Tough game that could go either way, but taking all the intangibles into consideration going into this game, I'm gonna go ahead and give the Broncos the nod here (and also because I have a TON of road teams getting victories this week, more than I have the home teams winning as a matter of fact, which doesn't seem feasible, so, just to "tip the scale" so to speak, I'll pick them to win here). The Texans have been playing lights out on D the last (or first, depending on how you look at it) couple weeks, but they face a substantially better offense this week (hence the readiness factor), plus the Broncos have that "something to prove" mindset going their way after last Monday's stunning loss at the Georgia Dome (sort of like the Packers, Giants and Steelers after each of their week 1 duds and how they each bounced back from it). Also, it should be worth mentioning that Peyton played like crap through 3 quarters, throwing 3 INTs in just the first half yet almost came from behind and won the game, in a very tough place to win games (Atlanta) and is now playing back at home for week 3. This could come back to bite me in the ass (as well as cost me more valuable points on NFL Weekly Pick 'Em), but I'm going with the Broncos here, but again, very tough game to call and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Houston won.

New England @ Baltimore-Pats* lost to the freakin' Retardinals (:rofl: ) at home last week and looked absolutely pathetic in said game, 'nuf sed there. Plus, not only are they going up against a much better offense and QB, on the road this time, but the Ravens are gonna be out for blood after both a dropped game-winner in the end zone and missed chip shot field goal cost them a chance to (potentially) go to the Super Bowl last January. I don't think this game's even gonna be close, TBH, I expect the Ravens to slaughter the Patsies and win by at least 2 scores.