Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NCAA Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The "U" Suspends 4 Players for Opener (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=9141)

83-Steelers-43 08-01-2006 04:20 PM

The "U" Suspends 4 Players for Opener

Four Hurricanes suspended for Florida State gameAssociated Press

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Four Miami Hurricane players, including running back Tyrone Moss and receiver Ryan Moore, were suspended for the Sept. 4 season opener against Florida State because they violated team policy.

Tyrone Moss ran for 701 yards last season.

Linebacker James Bryant and receiver Rashaun Jones also were suspended, coach Larry Coker said Tuesday.

Moore's suspension will include the second game of the season against Florida A&M. He was suspended for the Peach Bowl at the end of last season.

Coker declined to say what prompted the punishment.

"It's all the same incident," he said. "The message is pretty clear: We have high standards here. We're a program of quality kids. And these kids are good kids. They're not bad kids. But we've got to get this message across."

The suspended players will continue to practice with the team.

"These players are going to come back," Coker said. "They're going to have outstanding years. I believe that. But it won't be the first game."

Moss, a senior, rushed for 701 yards and 12 touchdowns in eight games last year before a knee injury sidelined him for the rest of the season. He'll be replaced by junior Charlie Jones, who rushed for 507 yards last year.

Moore, a senior, started nine games last season and caught 28 passes for 464 yards and four touchdowns. Bryant and Jones played mostly on special teams in 2005.

"When you lose good players, obviously it has an effect," Coker said. "But our expectations haven't diminished."

The suspensions are the latest blow this summer for a program accustomed to contending for the national title and trying to rebound from disappointing 9-3 records the past two years.

Former top recruit Willie Williams has been seeking to transfer. Reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks by an unknown assailant but escaped serious injury.

"It has been a tough offseason," Coker said. "There are some things that always go on with a major-college program that you have to deal with. But the key is to deal with them. That's what I want to do."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2536340

DiggetyDank 08-01-2006 04:27 PM

Re: The "U" Suspends 4 Players for Opener

Were those the guys that got busted for weed? What the hell is wrong with the schools down there. It must the humidity or something.

Cape Cod Steel Head 08-06-2006 07:41 AM

Glad to see that that L.C. is trying to clean up that program, even though I hate them. This(the suspensions) would have never been handed out under Jimmy Johnson.

LambertIsGod58 08-06-2006 08:21 AM

I have to respect Larry Coker for this....after all this could definately impact his season and his job.

Ohio Steeler 08-06-2006 08:30 AM

L.C is a good coach and he wants to run a clean program the only question is will they let him, if he has another 9 win or less year this year he will be out as there coach...

Patssuck456 08-07-2006 06:36 PM

L.C is an overrated coach, him bien fired would be the best thing that can happen to that team.

Elvis 08-14-2006 03:24 PM

For anyone that knows anything about college football knows that Miami,Fla has had trouble with the law. Now, dont get me wrong... I love Canes they are my favorite college team and have been since they had Jim Kelly at QB. And just like with the Steelers I will stick with them through thick and thin. I think that Kyle Wright has all the tools to be a good Miami,Fla QB if given the chance. I would think that Coker would be safe with another 9-3 season but if we get trounced again in a Bowl game... then it maybe time to search again for some new blood. They didnt fire all those assistants last spring for Coker to mess around.
God Bless All
Elvis

memphissteelergirl 08-18-2006 02:36 PM

"The message is pretty clear: We have high standards here. "

HA!!! Since when...??? :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43 08-27-2006 09:09 AM

End not in sight for Miami WR Moore's suspension
ESPN.com news services

Miami wide receiver Ryan Moore has been suspended indefinitely for violating team policy, coach Larry Coker said Saturday.

Moore had already been suspended for the team's first two games. The fifth-year senior could return, depending on what coaches learn about the situation behind his suspension, The Miami Herald reported.

"I have suspended Ryan Moore indefinitely from this football team," Coker was quoted as saying in the Herald. "Not that he won't return, but it will be pending some action. I have made that suspension for violation of team policy, and we'll see as this thing progresses."

Coker said Moore "may be back. I'll re-evaluate day by day. It's disappointing anytime you have to suspend a player for anything."

Along with Moore, running back Tyrone Moss linebacker James Bryant and receiver Rashaun Jones have been suspended for the 12th-ranked Hurricanes' opener Sept. 4 against No. 11 Florida State.

Moore was suspended for the Peach Bowl at the end of last season, and, in a related punishment, already had been suspended for the first two games of this season for breaking team rules.

Moore, a senior, started nine games last season and caught 28 passes for 464 yards and four touchdowns. Bryant and Jones played mostly on special teams in 2005.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2562135

SteelCityMan786 08-27-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiggetyDank (Post 131376)
Were those the guys that got busted for weed? What the hell is wrong with the schools down there. It must the humidity or something.

The heat must bring out the worst in people In my opinion