Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RIP Steve Sabol- NFL Films President (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=91430)

tony hipchest 09-18-2012 01:09 PM

RIP Steve Sabol- NFL Films President

lost his battle with brain cancer today at the age of 69. his contributions to the NFL and all of our fandom cant be measured.

Bayz101 09-18-2012 01:17 PM

Re: RIP Steve Sabol- NFL Films President

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/rip.gif

MACH1 09-18-2012 01:23 PM

Wow didn't know he was fighting cancer. RIP

Atlanta Dan 09-18-2012 01:26 PM

Sad news

Before the rise of the Internet, NFL Films spread the gospel of the NFL through the NFL Game Of The Week that ran on local channels and the team highlight and Super Bowl films every year

A sampler from days gone by

[youtube]IKnezPRQ3pQ[/youtube]

[youtube]NxrsP6hqbPk[/youtube]

GMU Steeler 09-18-2012 01:28 PM

Damn. Really what he and his old man did was such a great service. He will be missed.

stb_steeler 09-18-2012 01:54 PM

Just heard about this......love their stuff RIP Steve

Vis 09-18-2012 02:31 PM

RIP

Which film had this quote:
"There are 27 teams in the nfl and then there are the Pittsburgh Steelers"?

Found it. the 1979 NFL Films YEARBOOK film titled "A Cut Above". Can't find it online

4xSBChamps 09-18-2012 05:55 PM

sadly, the men, who made the NFL into what it became in the 1960's & 1970's, are passing-away, replaced by the likes of Ms. Goodell & her scmucktoids:
both Sabols & Rozelle led the fledgling league into the promised land via their shrewd use of television

every-week, I recognize less & less of this game

tony hipchest 09-20-2012 12:20 AM

Thank you Steve Sabol.

As a kid growing up in the 80's, every Superbowl Sunday was like waking up for Christmas. I never had cable TV, but every SB Sunday, the local airwaves (on one of the 6 chanels we got) would air the 30 minute highlight shows of every Superbowl up to that point. Now in the 80's that meant 16-18 episodes and about 8-9 hours of programming. I remember getting up at 6:00 in the morning as if it were Saturday morning cartoons several years earlier, to watch these recaps of the greatest games ever played. The best part was the 3 hour segment midway through the broadcast where I got to see the only highlight footage of the 4 Steeler Superbowls ever aired somewhat regularly.

I didnt have a VCR, and as far as I knew, these couldnt be rented. This was long before the internet, and living in New Mexico, its not like I had newspapers to give me updates. Aside from the MNF appearances, or national games on Sunday, this was my total annual exposure, not only to the Steelers, but to all the other past champions as well. I watched every episode religiously every year, and took in every bit of history I could memorize.

When I finally did get cable in the 80's we were either stealing it via splitter or getting it for free due to the cable co. simply not shutting it off when the prior renter left. Some may remember the tan cable box that sat on top of the television, with the 36 chanels and the orange lit click slider "dial". We never received HBO on chanel 5, but you could listen to the audio if you didnt mind the scrambled picture. I remember staying up late on schoolnights just to listen to the highlights of that weeks games and the analysis of buonocatti et al. That voice of the highlights is still magical to this day.

Thank you Steve Sabol.

beer72 09-20-2012 08:02 AM

R.I.P Steve