Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers are looking past Titans' RB Johnson (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=92185)

maddog78 10-10-2012 07:42 AM

Steelers are looking past Titans' RB Johnson

That's not a typo - I purposely altered the headline. Anytime I read quotes like this, saying that of course you're not overlooking a weaker opponent or struggling player, it's because you already have.

I'm expecting a nail biter on Thursday night.

“We’ll be taking the approach that we can’t underestimate this guy,” linebacker Chris Carter said. “He’s still a home run-type runner. He can still break an 80-yard run, so we’re focused on containing him.

“You definitely have to give a player like that respect because his résumé has looked good for years. We can’t give him any lanes, and that’s ultimately what it comes down to. He’s not the type that’s going to run over you; it’s about him getting open space.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz28tosUWqP

tony hipchest 10-10-2012 08:35 AM

Re: Steelers are looking past Titans' RB Johnson

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog78 (Post 1036142)
That's not a typo - I purposely altered the headline. Anytime I read quotes like this, saying that of course you're not overlooking a weaker opponent or struggling player, it's because you already have.

:rolleyes:..... :bs:

"We are a 2-2 team, We havent won on the road yet this year. We're not good enough to overlook any team."

-Ryan Clark

maddog78 10-10-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1036160)
:rolleyes:..... :bs:

"We are a 2-2 team, We havent won on the road yet this year. We're not good enough to overlook any team."

-Ryan Clark

Right, more talk about not overlooking someone. It shouldn't even be a question. They sound like they're trying to convince themselves not to overlook what they think is a crappy opponent.

tony hipchest 10-10-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog78 (Post 1036165)
They sound like they're trying to convince themselves not to overlook what they think is a crappy opponent.

this sounds like a bunch of :poop:

another steelerfan desperately reaching for even the smallest thing to complain about even if they have to make crap up.

:poop:

[YOUTUBE]T-3Iq3XQkAw[/YOUTUBE]

Steelerfreak58 10-10-2012 08:57 AM

We all should be used to the Steelers playing down to any teams level the last decade or so. We have not blown the doors off of many teams that we "SHOULD" have. Some how some way there will be a really bad showing but hopefully a win.

Last week the team looked like stepped on dog shit this week on prime time expect them to play down to the Titans level and make Hassleback look like a god.

That way if they do blow the doors of the Titans you can be pleasantly surprised!:chuckle:

TRH 10-10-2012 09:27 AM

Almost every time we go in to "blow another team out" or win handily, we either just barely win in a nailbiter...or LOSE. Gotta be real careful with this one.
Also, Johnson is due to have a big game.

GoFor7 10-10-2012 09:59 AM

I have a bad feeling this game could be similar to the Oakland game. Offense puts up good numbers, but the defense takes a dump on the road and lets a washed up, immobile, veteran QB in Hasselbeck pick them apart.

LeBeau cannot afford to coach scared in this one, even if two of his best players are out. Timmons was a disruptive force behind the line of scrimmage against Philly. He doesn't need to drop back into coverage 75% of the time.

Edman 10-10-2012 11:18 AM

I think the reason why the Steelers usually look lackluster on the road against a bad team is the fact that they ARE afraid of losing. They play not to lose instead of playing to win, well, the Defense does.

They come in tight and conservative, not letting the game get away from them, when in fact they are letting the game get away from them by letting the bad team hang around, instead of just playing.

Against Oakland, the Offense was loose, but the Defense was tight and scared. The Defense played very conservative and the Raiders burned it.

Darkstorm05 10-10-2012 11:31 AM

I'm not feeling conservative this week. I had a very bad feeling going into the Raiders game, but this week I'm thinking we lay waste to the Titans. 14+ point victory margin, and Harrison sacks Crappleback and eats part of his head.

GoFor7 10-10-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 1036203)
I think the reason why the Steelers usually look lackluster on the road against a bad team is the fact that they ARE afraid of losing. They play not to lose instead of playing to win, well, the Defense does.

They come in tight and conservative, not letting the game get away from them, when in fact they are letting the game get away from them by letting the bad team hang around, instead of just playing.

Against Oakland, the Offense was loose, but the Defense was tight and scared. The Defense played very conservative and the Raiders burned it.

In the past it was only Brady that dinked and dunked through the Steeler defense. Now other teams are catching on and lesser QBs are pulling it off. The Steelers finally beat Brady last year because they were aggressive.

A defense can only do so much with X's and O's. It's more about pressure and aggressiveness. Could they get burned a few times playing like that? Yeah, but haven't the Steelers gotten burned playing scared quite a few times already?

Would you rather have Timmons drop back into coverage, or have him in the other teams backfield wrecking havoc?