Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tomlin's stock dropping (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=92273)

Raw Steel 10-12-2012 12:10 AM

Tomlin's stock dropping
 
The decision to kick the 54-yard field goal was a bad one. We all know Suisham can make that kick, but you have to look at the consequences if you miss in a tie game. It's different when it's the third quarter or early in the game. The field position was basically a short field with a defense who just gave up an 80-yard drive to a team who had the longest streak in the NFL without an 80+ yard touchdown drive. It's interesting how Tomlin didn't trust his defense a couple weeks back, but that didn't affect his decision this time around.

I really have to question his football IQ. Too many bad decisions over the years.

Finally, I hated when people said this but they always said Tomlin won with Cowher's players but I am starting to think that might have been the case, The talent-level on this team has taken a major step back. Part of that is on Colbert and the scouts. But it falls on Tomlin as well.

I hope this is just a slump. But I have seen a very undisciplined team, a very soft defense and a very unfocused offense and underachieving offense. Oh, yeah and pretty bad special teams that actually was the difference in the game.

Maybe we need a 6-10 season to wake everyone up in the organization.

OX1947 10-12-2012 12:13 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
This 4th quarter collapsing started a long time ago. Tomlin just got bought out by Big ben and he saved his ass more then normal. It almost cost the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The year before, lost to Jags in the last min. in 2010 afc title game, almost blew that game. I mean, this isnt isolated, this is a trend. It just shows more now because we do not have the horses to cover it. Tomlin's close out coaching is absolutely terrible.

defence 10-12-2012 12:14 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raw Steel (Post 1037235)
The decision to kick the 54-yard field goal was a bad one. We all know Suisham can make that kick, but you have to look at the consequences if you miss in a tie game. It's different when it's the third quarter or early in the game. The field position was basically a short field with a defense who just gave up an 80-yard drive to a team who had the longest streak in the NFL without an 80+ yard touchdown drive. It's interesting how Tomlin didn't trust his defense a couple weeks back, but that didn't affect his decision this time around.

I really have to question his football IQ. Too many bad decisions over the years.

Finally, I hated when people said this but they always said Tomlin won with Cowher's players but I am starting to think that might have been the case, The talent-level on this team has taken a major step back. Part of that is on Colbert and the scouts. But it falls on Tomlin as well.

I hope this is just a slump. But I have seen a very undisciplined team, a very soft defense and a very unfocused offense and underachieving offense. Oh, yeah and pretty bad special teams that actually was the difference in the game.

Maybe we need a 6-10 season to wake everyone up in the organization.


I agree i would have punted; but it is quite obvious he does not trust the d. He doesn't look too bright right now.

steelbelieve 10-12-2012 12:21 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by defence (Post 1037241)
I agree i would have punted; but it is quite obvious he does not trust the d. He doesn't look too bright right now.


I don't punt. My best player is number 7, and the strength of the team at wr. You go for it on 4th down there to get the first down, put yourself in field goal range and run the clock down to nothing. If you make the first down, the worst case is that you're going to overtime if your kicker misses an manageable kick. If you don't get the 1st down, you're no worse off they they ended up being anyway.

Chadmagic 10-12-2012 12:23 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
The good thing about going 6-10 this year is higher draft picks.

tony hipchest 10-12-2012 12:27 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OX1947 (Post 1037240)
This 4th quarter collapsing started a long time ago. .

you mean like when jerome bettis retired?

:shout:-DRAFT LENDALE WHITE!!!!



:jerkit:

OX1947 10-12-2012 12:38 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1037257)
you mean like when jerome bettis retired?

:shout:-DRAFT LENDALE WHITE!!!!



:jerkit:

Here comes Mr Contrarian again. Do you just go around and tell everyone the exact opposite of what they say?

tony hipchest 10-12-2012 12:40 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
did you just call yourself an asshole?

AndyWitmyer 10-12-2012 12:56 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
I really do think the idea to go with a FG was a bad idea. I love Tomlin, I think he's a great coach - and I think Suisham is an above average kicker who has quietly done his share to help the team since he's been here - but he just kicked a 52-yarder in the previous drive. Given the circumstances (4th quarter with some time remaining, timeouts, and a chance to pin the Titans deep into their own territory), I'd probably have to say after weighing out all of the options, punting probably would have been the best course of action. In fact, I might have been more inclined to have at least gone for it on 4th down (perhaps a fake punt?)

We're losing a lot of awfully close games that honestly should never have been that close to begin with. The Steelers season isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, but this loss obviously didn't help - we can't seem to win on the road, at all - and unless the team identifies and corrects what is going wrong, the hole is only going to get deeper.

AndyWitmyer 10-12-2012 01:02 AM

Re: Tomlin's stock dropping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbelieve (Post 1037248)
I don't punt. My best player is number 7... If you don't get the 1st down, you're no worse off they they ended up being anyway.

This was pretty much my humble opinion on the matter. Not that I think anyone honestly cares what my order of preference might have been...but, honestly...if given a choice between these three possibilities, I'd have put going for a 54 yd FG as a distant third...attempting a 4th down conversion with Ben would have been my first 1st choice, followed by a punt.

Oh well - c'est la vie! There's always next game.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum