Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tomlin's reason for attempting 54-yard FG (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=92314)

Hawaii 5-0 10-12-2012 07:42 PM

Tomlin's reason for attempting 54-yard FG

Tomlin's reason for attempting 54-yarder

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin decided on allowing Shaun Suisham to try a what-would-have-been a career long 54-yard field goal.

Suisham missed, the Titans got good field position and Rob Bironas kicked the game-winner a minute later.

This is what Tomlin had to say about the decision:

Was there debate?

"There was but he banged the other one before that pretty clean so I decided to give him a shot at it. I will take responsibility for the miss."

Was there a concern during the timeout that you might've iced you own kicker?

"Not at all. It was a clock stoppage. Shaun (Suisham) is a mentally tough guy. I didnít want the play clock to run down. We wanted to have a good, clean discussion about our options. He banged the previous one pretty good. We decided to give him a shot at it."

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter

Curtain_of_Steel 10-12-2012 08:58 PM

Re: Tomlin's reason for attempting 54-yard FG

Im not sure I disagree withthe call or not. If they punted, its 80 yard drive as opposed to a 58 yard? Thats one more pass to the great shut downcorner Ike Taylor.

More importantly, it showed Tomlin has zero confidence in his defense.

What was even more comforting, Tomlin took full responsibility for the decision. Now that made me sleep well.

maddog78 10-13-2012 09:57 AM

Go for it. Barring a sack, you're in no worse position if you fail to get the first down. He showed no confidence in his offense, either.

btaylor179 10-13-2012 09:59 AM

defense couldnt stop em whether its 8 or 80 yds

Bayz101 10-13-2012 10:01 AM

Good decision to go for the field goal. Shaun made a 52-yard kick earlier in the game and cleared the goal post by about 5 yards. Dick Lebeau should take heat for the loss considering his defense allowed the Titans to get well within field goal range.

Goldsteel86 10-13-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayz101 (Post 1037523)
Good decision to go for the field goal. Shaun made a 52-yard kick earlier in the game and cleared the goal post by about 5 yards. Dick Lebeau should take heat for the loss considering his defense allowed the Titans to get well within field goal range.

You know I agree with going for the FG, Suisham just made a 52 yarder that probaly could have been good from 54 or 55, also Tennesee was also finding ways to get pressure to the QB. Now on the flip side if you are going to take a shot on 4th down against the better team in the Eagles with a deep pass to Wallace at least try to do it against a respectfully worse team in the Titans. However at the end of the day, I agree take the shot, you make the FG, you give Hasselbeck a much bigger field to work with, but then again don't ask James Harrison to cover a TE on 3rd down, especially coming on a knee injury, IMO the decision was a good one to go for the FG.

maddog78 10-13-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayz101 (Post 1037523)

With 10 seconds left, maybe. Not with that much time.

Tomlin is a massive fail when it comes to game day decisions. It's uncanny how he always makes the wrong one.

jiminpa 10-13-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog78 (Post 1037535)
With 10 seconds left, maybe. Not with that much time.

Tomlin is a massive fail when it comes to game day decisions. It's uncanny how he always makes the wrong one.

I agree. Of all of the options a sure miss field goal was the worst, assuming you actually wanted to win, which I am not always certain of with Tomlin. An incomplete pass would have been better.

maddog78 10-13-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiminpa (Post 1037538)
I agree. Of all of the options a sure miss field goal was the worst, assuming you actually wanted to win, which I am not always certain of with Tomlin. An incomplete pass would have been better.

Infinitely better!. They would have had seven more yards and five less seconds to work with.

BowCatShot 10-13-2012 04:37 PM

"I will take responsibility for the miss."

Now just what in hell does that mean? He'll take responsibility and do what? If he'd have the balls to levy himself a hefty fine for being stupid, then he'd put meaning into that hollow phrase. Responsibility my skinny white ass.