Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How much cap space do we save next year (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=92789)

RuHappy69 10-23-2012 05:14 PM

How much cap space do we save next year

If Troy, Harrison and Hampton are not on our roster? I think they get rid of Mr. Glass Troy and move Ike to FS to take his spot. Harrison is also always hurt and makes way too much money based on his production and Hampton is just awful this year. On any other team McClendon is starting over him.

Also, not sure if its a contract year for Mendenhal but if it is, I'd worry.

Hawaii 5-0 10-23-2012 05:58 PM

Re: How much cap space do we save next year

we are not going to cut Troy...

Curtain_of_Steel 10-23-2012 06:30 PM

Harrison will redo his deal.

Darkstorm05 10-23-2012 06:40 PM

For all 3, just over 25 mil. I have a feeling, though, that all 3 will be back next year.

SteelersCanada 10-23-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 (Post 1040847)
For all 3, just over 25 mil. I have a feeling, though, that all 3 will be back next year.

Hampton isn't going to be back next year. I do think that Harrison will be, though, unless we draft Dion Jordan. Polamalu doesn't need to be cut, he just needs to rehab his calf. This is still Troy Polamalu we're talking about guys, let's not get too zealous with the cuts.

Darkstorm05 10-23-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1040850)
Hampton isn't going to be back next year. I do think that Harrison will be, though, unless we draft Dion Jordan. Polamalu doesn't need to be cut, he just needs to rehab his calf. This is still Troy Polamalu we're talking about guys, let's not get too zealous with the cuts.

Hampton wasn't going to be back this year, either...until he came back. We're getting into a habit of overpaying non-performers.

SteelersCanada 10-23-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 (Post 1040852)
Hampton wasn't going to be back this year, either...until he came back. We're getting into a habit of overpaying non-performers.

It's not that he won't be back due to injury, he just can't do it anymore and I think he's starting to recognize that. I don't know how much more he can take at that age and he's a free agent at the end of this year. I very, very, very much doubt he'll be back. Maybe if we didn't bring back Ta'amu I'd think there was a chance, but I seriously doubt it.

Solak 10-23-2012 08:56 PM

I think we get rid of Hampton and Mendenhall. Troy is not going anywhere but I would feel better if a safety was drafted somewhere in the first three rounds for insurance.

teegre 10-23-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solak (Post 1040869)
Troy is not going anywhere but I would feel better if a safety was drafted somewhere in the first three rounds for insurance.

A safety WILL be drafted early. This is a phenomenal year for safeties... like eight in the first two rounds. [NOTE: Eric Reid could slip to PITT at 64. Although, I still like Matt Elam.]

If Hampton is back, I will walk (from San Diego) to Heinz Field... and grab Tomlin by the collar... and state: "WTF are you thinking!?!"

Harrison will be a cap casualty.

Troy will rehab, and play two more good years.

Steeldude 10-24-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuHappy69 (Post 1040830)
If Troy, Harrison and Hampton are not on our roster? I think they get rid of Mr. Glass Troy and move Ike to FS to take his spot. Harrison is also always hurt and makes way too much money based on his production and Hampton is just awful this year. On any other team McClendon is starting over him.

Also, not sure if its a contract year for Mendenhall but if it is, I'd worry.

Releasing Harrison prior to June 1st creates a $4.93 dead money hit for 2013, but essentially saves the team a little over $5.1 million against the cap. While the move could come after June 1st, it would only create an additional savings of $1.465 million in 2013.

The top 5 cap hits for 2013 are as follows...
  1. BR - $19,595,000
  2. Woodley - $13,240,000
  3. Timmons - $11,160,000
  4. Polamalu- $10,138,000
  5. Harrison- $10,035,000

I am thinking they will restructure Harrison or he will be cut, but it depends how the rest of this season turns out. Will Harrison get back to playing shape or are his days over? If Harrison is cut the Steelers have no one on the team that can provide a solid, consistent and dangerous pass rush. The Steelers will need to draft a OLB in the early rounds. Then again, do the Steelers switch to a 4-3?

BR, Woodley, Polamalu and Timmons will be restructured.