Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This years steelers better than the 2010 steelers? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=93067)

BlaZeQuietly 10-30-2012 11:41 PM

This years steelers better than the 2010 steelers?

From what we have witnessed so far do you think this team is better than the one who lost to the packers in the superbowl? I don't think theres any doubt we are better than last years team, but record aside, are we better than the 2010 team who lost to green bay in the SB?

I think so heres why:
1. Ben is protected
2. Receivers a bit older with a bit more experience (minus ward)
3 Deeper at the running back position once mendes back (looks like we might not even need him)
4. Haleys style of play call

The only thing I can't say is't much better is our defense overall, its about the same.

Fire Arians 10-30-2012 11:56 PM

Re: This years steelers better than the 2010 steelers?

too early to tell, if we can start beating decent teams on the road then perhaps.

so far I'd say:
- offense is better
- defense is worse
- special teams COULD be better if we stop beating ourselves

questions:
- can we win on the road
- can we stop getting penalized on ST
- will our o-line stay healthy this year
- will we have troy back? will harrison and woodley stay healthy?

Edman 10-31-2012 12:12 AM

So far, we can judge it yet.

The 2010 Team could win on the road consistently, we don't know if this team could. Though to be fair, the 2010 Team was a Steve Johnson drop away from laying an Oakland-styled egg in Buffalo.

I'll say this for sure, If the 2010 team had this 2012 Offense, we'd be thinking about Ring #8 instead of still searching for #7. The 2012 Offense (O-Line Included) is head and shoulders above all of the Steelers Offenses over the past 5-6 years.

SteelersCanada 10-31-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 1042773)
I'll say this for sure, If the 2010 team had this 2012 Offense, we'd be thinking about Ring #8 instead of still searching for #7.

Yup. This offense is definitely better than the 2010 team. I think it's a little early to make a definitive decision on the defense. Injuries have decimated this team, especially on defense, and adjustments have had to be made.

When Troy gets healthy and we get our actual starters back, we can make a judgment call on the defense. Until then, it's a little bit early to make a call one way or the other.

Fire Arians 10-31-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 1042773)
The 2010 Team could win on the road consistently, we don't know if this team could. Though to be fair, the 2010 Team was a Steve Johnson drop away from laying an Oakland-styled egg in Buffalo.

true, i remember that game and remember telling a friend (a buffalo fan) that they really should have won that game. the wr got hit right in the hands on a perfectly thrown ball and he just dropped what would have been the game winner

Atlanta Dan 10-31-2012 06:17 AM

The offense is better but the defense simply cannot generate turnovers

The 3 biggest wins of 2010 were keyed off Troy's strip of Flacco in Baltimore, the blizzard of turnovers when Baltimore imploded in the second half of teh AFC playoffs, and the fumble return at the end of the first half of the Jets AFC championship game that provided the margin of victory - getting the ball without having to drive 60 to 80 yards for a TD might turn some of those FG drives this season into TDs

Steelers victories so far are over trash teams - let's see where they are after playing the Giants and Baltimore on the road

The 2010 team went 12-4, which I certainly do not see this year - so at this point the 2010 team was better

maddog78 10-31-2012 06:30 AM

Offense is better, defense not, ST not. This is our worst front seven in over a decade, partly because of injury, partly because of age, partly because of young replacements that aren't as good as we hoped.

Blitzberg06 10-31-2012 07:11 AM

No.

teegre 10-31-2012 07:56 AM

Offense hasn't even peaked yet. I foresee a juggernaut, who scores 34 per game. No sacks. Better on third downs. 3 points more per game already (and, as I stated, it's only going to get better... much better).

The defense is not nearly as good, but it's good enough. It seems that just about EVERY team has an average defense and/or if they have a good defense, they are lacking in other major areas (SF, SEA, & ARIZ have great defenses, but they don't have a game-deciding QB). So, while this PITT defense is inferior to PITT's 2010 defense, I contend that every other team has dropped off as well... (but, at least PITT has BB).

Special teams could be the decider. While the defense isn't producing turnovers (neither did the 2010 team, right?), the spark in field position "could" come via special teams. If not for dumb (away from the play) penalties, the Steelers could be starting at least one drive per game at the 45, as opposed to at the 15.

Summation:
Actually... as a whole... Yes.

Bayz101 10-31-2012 08:30 AM

It's too early to really answer your question, but I do think we have what it takes to BE better than we we're in 2010. Just need to win on the road, and beat tough teams in general. We started out slow, and it seems like we're heating up a little bit. If we're hitting our stride in the final weeks, look out.