Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   End Zone Catch/Kick (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94046)

ChristianKustomz 11-24-2012 09:28 PM

End Zone Catch/Kick

My wife and kids were watching some college ball tonight and while watching the game I had a great idea (at least it was to me).

How cool would it be if the NFL changed the rules and made an end zone catch or touch back to be taken to the 10 yard line instead of the 20 yard line. I think this would increase the difficulty of the game and make it a lot more interesting. Does anyone else agree with me that this would be a neat change to the rules and the game of football?

Darkstorm05 11-24-2012 09:37 PM

Re: End Zone Catch/Kick

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz (Post 1052616)
My wife and kids were watching some college ball tonight and while watching the game I had a great idea (at least it was to me).

How cool would it be if the NFL changed the rules and made an end zone catch or touch back to be taken to the 10 yard line instead of the 20 yard line. I think this would increase the difficulty of the game and make it a lot more interesting. Does anyone else agree with me that this would be a neat change to the rules and the game of football?

NFL wants high scores. This is the opposite of that. In fact, if they did this, I seriously doubt you would ever see another knee taken in the endzone again. Any idiot can run a kickoff out past the 10. Would be kind of irrelevant.

ChristianKustomz 11-24-2012 09:44 PM

That's my point exactly. That would make for an always fun punt return/kick off. I think it would add an entirely different aspect and dimension to the game...though I agree it would probably make high scoring games more difficult.

PhantomJB93 11-24-2012 09:59 PM

Eh, I think it's pretty good where it's at with the 20. Backing teams up to the 10 would really change the whole game, not necessarily for the better. A 3-and-out gives the other team fantastic field position and makes it too easy for them to score.

The 20 seems like a perfect medium to me; far enough away that it's still a challenge to score, but close enough that it's not too easy for the other team to force a three-and-out and wind up 10 yards from a field goal.

Darkstorm05 11-24-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz (Post 1052621)
That's my point exactly. That would make for an always fun punt return/kick off. I think it would add an entirely different aspect and dimension to the game...though I agree it would probably make high scoring games more difficult.

The reason the NFL moved kickoffs up was so there would be less returns. They seem to feel those are dangerous. Why would they want to then encourage more returns?

Hawaii 5-0 11-25-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 (Post 1052623)
The reason the NFL moved kickoffs up was so there would be less returns. They seem to feel those are dangerous. Why would they want to then encourage more returns?

especially when that could be used against the NFL in future lawsuits regarding player safety...

teegre 11-25-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 (Post 1052623)
The reason the NFL moved kickoffs up was so there would be less returns. They seem to feel those are dangerous.

That is EXACTLY why the kick-offs were moved forward. Most collisions occur on kick-offs.

jjpro11 11-25-2012 08:15 AM

Sooner or later kickoffs will be eliminated altogether. The writing is on the wall. Belichick even mentioned that was the future plans of the NFL.

ChristianKustomz 11-25-2012 11:26 AM

Ugh. I can't even imagine nor would I want to imagine a football game without a kick off. That would be horrible.

Millers the sh!t 11-25-2012 12:01 PM

They made kickoffs boring as hell now. TD, Extra Point. Commercials, kickoff, touchback, commercials. Games have gone from three hours to four hours + over the span of two seasons. They obviously should just move it back, but I won't miss the kickoffs that much under our current system. Though, A lot of players will be missing opportunities to prove themselves in spec. teams. The league is going south superfast, and the excuse of player safety is obviously a bullshit lie. Imagine where we'll be in five years......