Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Controlling our own destiny (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94074)

ETL 11-25-2012 03:48 PM

Controlling our own destiny
 
Despite this loss, the Steelers control their own destiny for a playoff spot. If anything, it has made it clearer that we will be fighting for a wildcard spot and not a division championship.

EVEN if Ben does not play next week and we lose to the Ravens and EVEN if the Bengals win next week. .. if we win the games that we are supposed to win with a healthy Ben - we should make the playoffs.

(ironically, we should root for the Ravens to beat the Chargers today to help our chances of making a wildcard)

If Ben becomes injured again, then really - what's the point of making the playoffs.

Which leads me to our pitiful backup QB position. It is clear to me that neither Leftwich nor Batch are the long term answers to this position. Tomlin and Colbert have clung on these two as security blankets but their age and limited skills have revealed themselves against NFL competition.

If Hoyer has a descent arm - then I would quickly ramp him up to be the #1 backup and I would not object to the Steelers investing a third or fourth round pick next year for a higher quality QB or grab someone more PROVEN in the free agent market that can run an NFL offense . I hate to admit this but even a Colt McCoy would have given me more confidence than Batch or Leftwich right now.

Anyways, I still feel positive about the current Steeler situation and stand by my prediction that we will go to the Super Bowl this year. I think the Steelers have one of the more complete teams in the NFL when they get their running game sorted out - and Ben coming back will prevent opposing defenses from putting 8 in the box to stuff the run. We have the top NFL defense which always gives us a chance no matter who we play in the playoffs.

stb_steeler 11-25-2012 03:50 PM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
If we had a healthy team id be all for it, but they just cant seem to stay that way.
Adams went down today, it just keeps piling up!

nj1923steelgirl 11-26-2012 07:32 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
We are looking at a wild card..but players are dropping like flys......its concerning.....I hope that Ben can come back...and stay healthy!

ETL 11-26-2012 08:07 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
If you look at the ebbs and flows of a season, this is a good time to have a dip. Teams that have recently won Super Bowls have had season lows and highs. ( Giants and Packers)

I submit that teams such as the Falcons and Texans have peaked too early and will fold in the playoffs and not make the Super Bowl.

I would also argue that a healthy Ben is much more important than an almost win against the Ravens in Baltimore. If this upcoming game was in Pittsburgh, then I could see us go for it with injured players. Unless Ben is 100% healthy, I would sit him this week. (Also with Antonio Brown and Polamalu)

Fire Haley 11-26-2012 08:14 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
I still feel positive about the current Steeler situation


cocaine is a helluva drug

maddog78 11-26-2012 08:17 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
If Cincy keeps playing this week, we're going to need 10-6 with a win over them in the mix, and that might not even be enough.

Every game Ben misses will be a loss - that much we know right now.

steelerchad 11-26-2012 08:22 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog78 (Post 1054315)
If Cincy keeps playing this week, we're going to need 10-6 with a win over them in the mix, and that might not even be enough.

Every game Ben misses will be a loss - that much we know right now.

what are you talking about. IF we go 10-6 with a win over Cincy not only will it be enough, but it will clinch a spot. I'd be shocked if 9-7 with a win over Cincy were not enough.

steelfury02 11-26-2012 08:24 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ETL (Post 1054313)
If you look at the ebbs and flows of a season, this is a good time to have a dip. Teams that have recently won Super Bowls have had season lows and highs. ( Giants and Packers)

I submit that teams such as the Falcons and Texans have peaked too early and will fold in the playoffs and not make the Super Bowl.

I would also argue that a healthy Ben is much more important than an almost win against the Ravens in Baltimore. If this upcoming game was in Pittsburgh, then I could see us go for it with injured players. Unless Ben is 100% healthy, I would sit him this week. (Also with Antonio Brown and Polamalu)

I apologize to everyone that I ripped into yesterday - talk about U_G_L_Y. I just can't stay optimistic with a performance like that. Yesterday's game speaks volumes about the discipline and focus of the rest of the play makers on the O. Emmanuel Sanders was the only guy that showed up. We have zero leaders on offense outside of Ben (and Brown by example). Hell, Plax contributed more to the game than Wallace has in the past two by drawing the PI. We will still need a group of backs next season - so I'm not up for getting rid of Redman - Mendy can't go away soon enough for me - he is entering Wallace territory with his ho-humness.

I don't even care about watching next week's game after yesterday - what a waste of time it will be at this rate. I will really start to second guess Tomlin and co if they force the issue with putting Ben back in there. Haven't they learned anything from last season against 49ers? I think we would have all rather taken 11-5 or 10-6 than 12-4 with a gimpy behind center come playoffs. Let Ben rest for another week - its not worth it.

My overall feeling is that the Steelers need to bring in some training and conditioning consultants - this will be two to three seasons in a row (and i think I'm being conservative in my estimate) that this team just can't keep people on the field.

Can we just start praying for 10-6 with a healthy squad entering in the playoffs now? The divisional talk needs to stop altogether, as does hoping to have Ben back next week. Why would anyone want that at this point? Also - how about a new WR from the draft? Anything is more enjoyable than going on and on about the current state.

maddog78 11-26-2012 08:31 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 1054316)
what are you talking about. IF we go 10-6 with a win over Cincy not only will it be enough, but it will clinch a spot. I'd be shocked if 9-7 with a win over Cincy were not enough.

Cincy is 6-5 and has won three straight blowouts while the Steelers are reeling and piling up injuries They, as the Steelers do, have five AFC losses.

They can still go 10-6 even with a loss to us, so 9-7 may not be enough for the Steelers.

steelfury02 11-26-2012 08:37 AM

Re: Controlling our own destiny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog78 (Post 1054320)
Cincy is 6-5 and has won three straight blowouts while the Steelers are reeling and piling up injuries They, as the Steelers do, have five AFC losses.

They can still go 10-6 even with a loss to us, so 9-7 may not be enough for the Steelers.

We need some sort of miracle for this week - its gonna get ugly - and you better believe they still feel they have something to prove after barely beating us with our backup. They want to humiliate us even more - it doesn't help they are more galvanized after the 4th and 29 play Rice pulled out of his ass. "Ray Rice is coming off the block into the flat - gee whiz - whaddya think is gonna happen de derp?"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum