Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why do we cycle so many running backs? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94120)

Terminator 11-25-2012 10:38 PM

Why do we cycle so many running backs?

Has there ever been a successful team that cycles running backs the way we do? I understand every back on our team had a bad day, but why can't we just pick a starter and stick with him? How is any back going to get into a groove if they are constantly coming in and out of the game?

GoFor7 11-25-2012 11:32 PM

Re: Why do we cycle so many running backs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminator (Post 1054154)
Has there ever been a successful team that cycles running backs the way we do? I understand every back on our team had a bad day, but why can't we just pick a starter and stick with him? How is any back going to get into a groove if they are constantly coming in and out of the game?

To answer the thread title - because Tomlin wanted to punish them all for fumbling. It's like kindergarten for the Steelers RBs! Time out for being bad.

uclkyle 11-25-2012 11:49 PM

Thats a good question and I agree. They should pick a guy (or even two) and go with him. I honestly think Tomlin doesn't know who to go with. Mendy just hasn't panned out. I don't think anyone can argue that. He's probably the most talented, but lacks something (mostly consistently). Redman is a loser and may be gone. Dwyer runs really hard and has good vision, but lacks any sort of speed. I really don't think they know who to go with.

teegre 11-25-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uclkyle (Post 1054193)
Thats a good question and I agree. They should pick a guy (or even two) and go with him. I honestly think Tomlin doesn't know who to go with. Mendy just hasn't panned out. I don't think anyone can argue that. He's probably the most talented, but lacks something (mostly consistently). Redman is a loser and may be gone. Dwyer runs really hard and has good vision, but lacks any sort of speed. I really don't think they know who to go with.

That's easy: go with the RB who is not fumbling.

Oh... :banging:

tony hipchest 11-26-2012 12:01 AM

so many people say tomlin runs an undisciplined team, is a players coach, no accountability, doesnt back up his words, :blah:.

thats obviously not true.

that, and every runningback has been significantly injured this season except for barron batch and his misreead cost us a likely win in tennessee.

PhantomJB93 11-26-2012 12:04 AM

The problem is we don't have a good RB to use as a workhorse. Dwyer is the best when he's in but he gets gassed and has to be spelled. Mendenhall and Redman have the endurance but rarely seem to do anything at all. Rainey has some good runs but he's too small to be pounded for an entire game.

Mendenhall is by far the most physically capable but he proves time and time again we are just wasting our time giving him the ball. Sad because there was a time before last season where I would have given the complete opposite argument. But he's had his chances.

I agree letting one guy handle most of the carries is the best way to go, but right now it's either give a guy 15+ carries who isn't likely to do anything with them, or spread the wealth and get the guys who can do something with the ball into the game for the few carries they are physically capable of handling. Pick your poison.

TheVet 11-26-2012 01:10 AM

Redman and Dwyer have shown enough to stay in the picture, but Mendenhall should be out of chances. As a former #1 pick, it's natural that they gave him every opportunity. But at this point the writing really should be on the wall.

Hopefully this is the last season we need to watch him hesitating and fumbling. And twittering crap about 9/11 inside jobs and the NFL being like slave owners.

Neil-Still-Rules-14 11-26-2012 01:15 AM

Mendenhall is in the last season of his rookie contract. I honestly don't think he's done anything to earn another one.

Edman 11-26-2012 09:19 AM

The real question is why do we keep trotting out Mendenhall. He is the Mike Wallace of the RB's, and like Mike Wallace, it's time be packed his bags and left.

I have no issue cycling out Redman and Dwyer. They've been playing decently, but as soon as Fumblehall is back in the mix, they're back on the bench.

steelfury02 11-26-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 1054350)
The real question is why do we keep trotting out Mendenhall. He is the Mike Wallace of the RB's, and like Mike Wallace, it's time be packed his bags and left.

I have no issue cycling out Redman and Dwyer. They've been playing decently, but as soon as Fumblehall is back in the mix, they're back on the bench.

After the Giants game, we were all so psyched about our stable. Nice to see Mendy really wants to help improve the group's rep even more. Did Bruce come in and run practice for the RBs for a week? AKA - the RBs never got a rep all week long and "well if they woulda shown me dey can handle it toe I give em twittly more de touches derp de poo."