Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94130)

tony hipchest 11-26-2012 12:53 AM

Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

their assholes are puckered tighter than a snare drum. i think tomlin is using fear as motivation with this unit and it obviously isnt working.

they all seem to be out there running and fighting for their jobs and careers, rather than for their teammates and wins.

honestly, none of them seem to be the personality types to respond to that except for maybe redman and rainey.

either way, they are all pressing.

tomlins philosophy is smashmouth and to "run the wheels off" RB's. just ask fast willie parker, whos wheels came off as an small, overused RB w/o the benefit of a FB or top 10 OL talent as he tried to ride out his career in Pgh.

he strikes me as a hard ass. others think he is too friendly, but must not remember "camp tomlin".

mike wallace was one of the leagues budding superstars, but i cant remember any productive young player who had their ass ridden harder than his. meanwhile dez bryant is living in the lap of luxory in dallas.

tomlin obviously seems to favor veterans he feels he can trust.

TRH 11-26-2012 08:44 AM

Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Mendenhall, in particular, appears to be in Tomlin's doghouse.

steelfury02 11-26-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRH (Post 1054329)
Mendenhall, in particular, appears to be in Tomlin's doghouse.

after his 2nd fumble, as the announcer said, he knew to immediately go to the sideline, without even looking at Tomlin

We need another leader on offense outside of Ben - one that WANTS the ball, and WANTS to be the guy to help carry the team. We have one in AB, but we need someone with that fire at the RB position.

lardlad 11-26-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 1054336)
after his 2nd fumble, as the announcer said, he knew to immediately go to the sideline, without even looking at Tomlin

We need another leader on offense outside of Ben - one that WANTS the ball, and WANTS to be the guy to help carry the team. We have one in AB, but we need someone with that fire at the RB position.

You know I wanted to mention this only on suspicion. I have nothing else to go by other than that. None of these running backs seem like they WANT the ball. I remember being disappointed when Runthenfall was hurt and Dwyer seemed to shy away from being the starting RB. I don't remember what he said exactly but something to the effect he was ready to give the job back to Runthenfall when he was healthy. I thought Dwyer was going to seize his opportunity, but it doesn't seem that way. Plus the controversy of him coming out after two plays.

Everyone has been concerned with the QB situation, now RB is in that mix.

Speaking of WANTING the ball, Wallace needs to step up and be a difference maker when his O is struggling.

Darkstorm05 11-26-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lardlad (Post 1054344)
You know I wanted to mention this only on suspicion. I have nothing else to go by other than that. None of these running backs seem like they WANT the ball. I remember being disappointed when Runthenfall was hurt and Dwyer seemed to shy away from being the starting RB. I don't remember what he said exactly but something to the effect he was ready to give the job back to Runthenfall when he was healthy. I thought Dwyer was going to seize his opportunity, but it doesn't seem that way. Plus the controversy of him coming out after two plays.

Speaking of WANTING the ball, Wallace needs to step up and be a difference maker when his O is struggling.

Wallace made a difference, just not in a positive way. He came to play for a couple weeks, then seemed to pack it in again. At least Plaxico got us a massive chunk of yards just by being a giant WR.

steelfury02 11-26-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 (Post 1054347)
Wallace made a difference, just not in a positive way. He came to play for a couple weeks, then seemed to pack it in again. At least Plaxico got us a massive chunk of yards just by being a giant WR.

yea, the conditioning has a little to do with Dwyer - he is huffing and puffin pretty heavily after a first down gainer. Bettis took pride in his skills and LOVED to humiliate and punish defenses. I'm not saying we need another Bettis - but we need someone with a little more spirit - an RB that will do everything they can to take the pressure off of Ben, and become a voice in the locker room - not just someone to plug in to send right into the mud pit with only a chance of 1-2 yards. Hell, even Willie Parker had that energy and his career with Steelers is looking better and better the longer Mendy has been around.

No one seems hungry on that offense outside of Ben, Miller, Brown, Sanders and the O-linemen - who just can't stay healthy.

madtowndrunkard 11-26-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lardlad (Post 1054344)

Wallace is a fraud... he's a one trick pony. Once the league learned how to defend his deep speed he had nothing else to offer....either that or he lost a step? It all means he's no longer relevant in the world of NFL WR's. Thank goodness we did not give him a contract extension. He's playing for a contract right now and that's not enough for him to take it up a notch... also consider the fact he has terrible hands. IMO it appears that he's not putting in the work. Unless he's injured why else would his production drop off a cliff like it has? (since last season)

As for Tomlin being a hard ass... I'm not buying it... sure he's tough on guys for fumbling... he pulls them out of games & might even bench them for a few - no matter if it's bad for the TEAM or not. ... how tough is he in practice? How hard does he make them work to get better? How hard to the players have to work to sharpen their ability to run plays? Watching the way we ran screens for the last several years I can't believe they work that hard...at least not on screens. it was painful to watch for many years...yet we'd still run them. This year seems to be better...but sloppiness is showing up in different ways.

I've heard that the practices are much easier then the Bill Cowher days... but someone else is saying his training camp is tough? I don't know... but I've watched Tomlin enough to think he is in fact a players coach. I think most people believe that.

If Tomlin is tough maybe he needs to take the mussel off Coach Haley and let him coach like he wants to.... you know damn well Haley wanted to tear the asshole right out of his players for that display yesterday.

This season is yet another epic fail by coach Tomlin. How does a team with Superbowl aspirations come up this short? Just like 2009... we can't beat the worst of teams due to lack of focus or preparation by the coaching staff and the players. I seriously think Tomlin will be coaching to keep his job next year. I can't believe the Rooney's will tolerate anything less after this debacle of a season.

steelfury02 11-26-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard (Post 1054355)
Wallace is a fraud... he's a one trick pony. Once the league learned how to defend his deep speed he had nothing else to offer....either that or he lost a step? It all means he's no longer relevant in the world of NFL WR's. Thank goodness we did not give him a contract extension. He's playing for a contract right now and that's not enough for him to take it up a notch... also consider the fact he has terrible hands. IMO it appears that he's not putting in the work. Unless he's injured why else would his production drop off a cliff like it has? (since last season)

As for Tomlin being a hard ass... I'm not buying it... sure he's tough on guys for fumbling... he pulls them out of games & might even bench them for a few - no matter if it's bad for the TEAM or not. ... how tough is he in practice? How hard does he make them work to get better? How hard to the players have to work to sharpen their ability to run plays? Watching the way we ran screens for the last several years I can't believe they work that hard...at least not on screens. it was painful to watch for many years...yet we'd still run them. This year seems to be better...but sloppiness is showing up in different ways.

I've heard that the practices are much easier then the Bill Cowher days... but someone else is saying his training camp is tough? I don't know... but I've watched Tomlin enough to think he is in fact a players coach. I think most people believe that.

If Tomlin is tough maybe he needs to take the mussel off Coach Haley and let him coach like he wants to.... you know damn well Haley wanted to tear the asshole right out of his players for that display yesterday.

This season is yet another epic fail by coach Tomlin. How does a team with Superbowl aspirations come up this short? Just like 2009... we can't beat the worst of teams due to lack of focus or preparation by the coaching staff and the players. I seriously think Tomlin will be coaching to keep his job next year. I can't believe the Rooney's will tolerate anything less after this debacle of a season.

If we don't make it to 8-8 or 9-7, and then you see a repeat next season - then I'll start saying Tomlin needs to do something ASAP do get out of the Rooney doghouse. If it gets 1999 bad for a few seasons - then yes, some shit needs to be re-evaluated - but we're not near that point at all. Cowher had some bad ones, and they didn't pull the trigger.

I do think though, what is unique about this situation - is that they have about a 5 or 6 season window to win another championship or two. Cowher was trying to get by without the luxury of a franchise QB. This team has been loaded with talent - but some of the talent is falling by the wayside (and some of it happening a lot earlier than expected - Mendenhall will go down as a huge bust and Wallace will be nothing more than a flash in the pan)

Terminator 11-26-2012 09:50 AM

I miss the Mike Wallace from 2010, when we went to the SuperBowl. He had so many big plays. God he was awesome to watch.

steelfury02 11-26-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminator (Post 1054370)
I miss the Mike Wallace from 2010, when we went to the SuperBowl. He had so many big plays. God he was awesome to watch.

the Wallace from the first half of that season. I haven't seen him since.