Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ripping the ball out - forcing fumbles (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94338)

TRH 12-02-2012 12:17 PM

ripping the ball out - forcing fumbles

watching the Bears game. First drive of the game - Seattle's moving the ball nicely before fumbling it away. Lynch ran the ball and on the way down, the Bears are clawing and trying to rip it away like crazy and Urlacher gets his paws on it, ripping and tearing at it. Bears recover.

Why are we not doing this? 2 teams that i can name right off the top of my head that do this on nearly every play are NE and Chicago.
I've watched this very, very closely for weeks now. We "tackle". Theres very little, if no attempt, to rip the ball away. I see no "clawing", tearing, nothing.
I'm not understanding this.

6RingsAndCounting 12-02-2012 12:24 PM

Re: ripping the ball out - forcing fumbles

To be honest, I don't remember the Steelers ever clawing at the ball in past years. We've always been a very good tackling team under Lebeau, but most fumbles have either came from getting a helmet on the ball or strip sacks (which hasn't happened because there hasn't been much pressure)

I would rather make the sure tackle, but we definitely do need to get back to getting helmets on the football.

Terminator 12-02-2012 12:33 PM

We are the 2nd worst team in the NFL for turnovers. It apparently is something either not practice or not encouraged.

mikegrimey 12-02-2012 12:37 PM

Under lovie smith the bears have always been aggressive for the ball. On defense if there's a loose ball, even after the play is dead, you'll see a bears defender jump on it. The patriots are really good at this too now (even though their defense is often porous, they force a lot of turnovers.) it is definitely an area we need to improve on, this year and the last the turnovers just haven't been coming the way they used too.

casteeler 12-02-2012 12:57 PM

The Steelers will not win this game with out forcing turnovers

GoFor7 12-02-2012 12:58 PM

Fellow Yinzers, where yunz at? Yinz hear all da AIR-HEAD luvers here say da stiller defense stinks! BOOOOOOO!

Stu Pidasso 12-02-2012 01:09 PM

I know James Harrison and Woodley always punch for the ball when they get close to the QB, and Ryan Clark on occasion as well. Can't say I have seen anyone else do it. Casey Hampton should be doing it every play.

fer522 12-02-2012 01:10 PM

:kick::kick:
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFor7 (Post 1056452)
Fellow Yinzers, where yunz at? Yinz hear all da AIR-HEAD luvers here say da stiller defense stinks! BOOOOOOO!

GoFor7 12-02-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fer522 (Post 1056455)
:kick::kick:

YEAH! Yinz kick all dem air-head luvers where it hurt! Dey just want Ben throwin' da ball every down like one a dem sissy teams! Ben ain't even dat good! Da stiller defense wins all da games! How dare dey insult dem! BOOOOOOOO!

Stu Pidasso 12-02-2012 01:39 PM

JOE RA-SHECKY N'AT