Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Should Ben play hurt against the Chargers? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94402)

ETL 12-03-2012 12:42 AM

Should Ben play hurt against the Chargers?

San Diego is out of the playoff picture with eight losses.

With a win against the Ravens, we have a loss to "give" in that we can still make the playoffs if we win our final 3 games against the Cowboys, Bengals and Browns - no matter what the Bengals do.

And seeing a rejuvinated Charlie Batch out there - I think we have a good chance to beat the Chargers at home with Batch.

If Ben is still hurt - I would recommend that he sit out the Chargers game as well. Again, I do not see us going anywhere in the post season without a healthy Ben and that is why I am advocating sitting him unless he is 100%.

As I see it, the only argument for Ben playing is a small possibility of taking the division championship over the Raven - but I think that is too slim of a chance and most likely, it would not earn us a bye.

StainlessStill 12-03-2012 12:47 AM

Re: Should Ben play hurt against the Chargers?

Rest Ben until he's healthy! No matter the circumstances!

I expected him to be back @ Dallas anyhow but make no mistake, Ben's gonna try his hardest this week....

SteelBobbleHead 12-03-2012 12:55 AM

I hope the coaches start whoever they feel gives the team the best chance to win. Whether that be a Big Ben at 80% or Charlie.

I am not sure winning the division is as far as a stretch as you believe. The ravens have a fairly tough schedule the rest of the way.
redskins this week. The ravens are weak against the run. redskins pound it as good as anyone between RG3 and Morris.
Manning brothers back to back (luckily they get to playt them at home) then off to cinci to finish the season.

I do agree that all that winning the division will do is get the a home game in the wild card round.

OX1947 12-03-2012 12:58 AM

Maybe have Ben be the back up and use him just in case. You know how the Steelers love to play against crap teams.

SoCalFan 12-03-2012 01:17 AM

I say rest him, BUT Ben knows his body best and most likely he will try his hardest to play! Im not familiar with the pass rush of the bolts, any good?

It may be a good thing to play him to knock some rust off (doubt he really has any) in a pound the ball short pass game!?

PhantomJB93 12-03-2012 01:34 AM

After this week, we can afford the risk of Charlie again. Another week of practice can only make Batch more comfortable in the offense. Not exactly that we can AFFORD to lose, it's still a tight race, but most people expected us to be coming into this game 6-6 and behind the Bungals in the WC race. We can win with Charlie, and if we don't, we can still make the playoffs as long as we don't lose again.

Had we lost to Baltimore, I would be arguing for Ben to play no matter what, even if he wasn't at 100% yet. With a TINY bit of breathing room at 7-5, and Batch only getting more comfortable filling in at QB each day, I think the risk of playing Ben hurt outweighs the risk of playing Charlie healthy and losing because of it.

I do think if he's close to returning, Ben should dress just in case we need him, but not play unless Charlie get's hurt or is UNBELIEVABLY awful, the latter of which I'm not expecting.

dez09231 12-03-2012 01:41 AM

The end goal is a ring. I don't care abou merely making the playoffs, and we saw what happens if Ben is too hurt last year.

Rest him. A hurt Ben isn't going to take us into the belly of the beast 3 weeks in a row and get a W anyway.

bornaSteelersfan 12-03-2012 02:56 AM

If Ben is healthy enough to play, then he should play. Batch played a great game today, but even Ben can lose to inferior teams on any given Sunday. There really is no breathing room. We don't want the pressure of having to "win out". We still need Charlie as our backup and he took a lot of hard hits today. I am ready for Ben and maybe Batch is, too.

BlaZeQuietly 12-03-2012 08:35 PM

This is a rhetorical question. It all depends on if hes healthy! Batch has proved to be good enough to fill in for him, so if hes still in pain and cant perform well then obviously he needs to sit. We are starting to approach that time frame where we might have to worry about him getting rusty, i think its important that he get him back in the flow for as many regular season games as possible so he can shake the rust off.

steelerchad 12-03-2012 08:47 PM

I don't want to push our luck with Batch. Thanks for the win Charlie, but if Ben can play, take a seat.