Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94617)

Hawaii 5-0 12-08-2012 05:58 PM

Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Steelers make roster moves

The Steelers promoted cornerback Josh Victorian to the active roster, the team announced today. Victorian will wear No. 35.

Victorian spent the first 12 weeks of the 2012 season on the teamís practice squad. He signed with the Steelers on August 3, 2012. He originally signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Louisiana Tech on July 28, 2011.

To make room for Victorian on the active roster, the Steelers released quarterback Brian Hoyer. Hoyer was signed by the Steelers on November 20, 2012. He served as the backup quarterback for the last two contests (at Cleveland and at Baltimore).

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-ec4b6890e820

Steelerindc 12-08-2012 06:08 PM

Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

I was hoping that they would actually keep Hoyer, and save a draft pick in the future. If Leftwhich or Batch is on the roster next year or even fighting for a job in training camp I might slit my cats throat.

If you can get rid of Hines Ward when his production fell, then why not these two?

austinfrench76 12-08-2012 06:39 PM

I don't think Lefty is a bad football player he just CANNOT stay healthy. You're right, cut him and draft another youngster next year. Not sure if Hoyer is any good but couldn't be worse than a guy who cannot stay healthy.

sloppyjoe 12-08-2012 06:42 PM

what a crock of shit. so lefty is better than hoyer?....please

BLACK_AND_YELLOW 12-08-2012 06:42 PM

Colin Klein would be a good pickup late in the draft

cubanstogie 12-08-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe (Post 1059810)

one was a starting QB in the league, the other an unknown backup who I would bet most on here have never seen play. So yes Lefty better.

SteelersCanada 12-08-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW (Post 1059811)
Colin Klein would be a good pickup late in the draft

He has a worse throwing motion than Tebow does and lacks the ability to make big plays with his legs that Timmy has. I don't understand the fascination with this guy - he's terrible. He might win the Heisman, but his 'talents' don't translate to NFL success. I'd rather have Hoyer.

Hawaii 5-0 12-08-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1059821)
He has a worse throwing motion than Tebow does and lacks the ability to make big plays with his legs that Timmy has. I don't understand the fascination with this guy - he's terrible. He might win the Heisman, but his 'talents' don't translate to NFL success. I'd rather have Hoyer.

he ain't winning the Heisman either, he'll finish behind both Te'o and manziel

Klein just got attention because Kansas St was winning games and were ranked #1 at one point.

VictoryFormation 12-08-2012 08:31 PM

According to sportrac.com (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers), Byron Leftwich will make a base salary of $825,000 this year, and will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Charlie Batch signed a contract last spring that is paying him a $925,000 base salary, plus signing bonus. I can't understand why the Steelers keep two pricey back up quarterbacks, for what they do.
Brian Hoyer was signed for $615,000. I have never seen Hoyer play, so I can't say whether he is a good fit for the Steelers, or not. But, if I had a say in it, I would be leaning toward keeping only one solid, experienced back up quarterback (Not Byron Leftwich!), and filling the third spot with a talented, young QB. I am not suggesting that the Steelers should use a high draft choice on a young quarterback, right now. There are plenty of good young quarterbacks available out there.

JeromeBetties63 12-08-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe (Post 1059810)

Actually, Yes! By a long shot.