Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is it time to start Mendenhall? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94654)

Stairway2-7 12-09-2012 05:36 PM

Is it time to start Mendenhall?

I have to admit, I was a huge Dwyer fan during his back to back 100+ yard games, but he hasn't done enough to prove himself starter yet. 32 yards isn't gonna cut it. I think were in a real bind at RB.

PhantomJB93 12-09-2012 05:38 PM

Re: Is it time to start Mendenhall?

No, we don't have a RB to start. Mendenhall has had his chances. So have Redman and Dwyer. None of them are going to get the job done but Redman and Dwyer do more with their touches so continue to give them the rock.

Somebody needs to be drafted next year.

Fire Arians 12-09-2012 05:40 PM

why not, if he has a couple more decent game's he'll be good trade bait

sure he pissed away chances, but it's not like dwyer or redman made strong cases to be long-term starters either. we will probably draft a RB in rd. 1-3

Terminator 12-09-2012 05:42 PM

They all suck. They aren't even close to being in the likes of the league's elite backs.

Such a shame. We haven't had a feature back since Bettis left.

ZoneBlitzer 12-09-2012 05:44 PM

Can't run if you can't create holes. Their run-blocking is terrible. The way to beat the Steelers O is to stack the box and go right at them. The line can't cope with the rush and Ben can't make the quick read and release. This entire offense is too dependent on the scrambling ability of Ben and the hurry up style of offense.

Terminator 12-09-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer (Post 1061005)
Can't run if you can't create holes. Their run-blocking is terrible. The way to beat the Steelers O is to stack the box and go right at them. The line can't cope with the rush and Ben can't make the quick read and release. This entire offense is too dependent on the scrambling ability of Ben and the hurry up style of offense.

Elite backs make due with what's given to them.

Peterson, Lynch, Rice, Gore.

Do those teams have elite O-Lines? Hardly. They get the job done because they are the best.

ETL 12-09-2012 05:47 PM

Despite our woes at RB - I would not want us to use a high pick for a RB in the draft

Terminator 12-09-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETL (Post 1061015)
Despite our woes at RB - I would not want us to use a high pick for a RB in the draft

Most great running backs aren't ever drafted first round. It's pretty rare.

We need a big back with the footwork and stamina, and above all else, DISCIPLINE.

Fire Arians 12-09-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETL (Post 1061015)

I would. right now we are a decent running threat away from becoming a completely balanced offense. maybe not round 1, but in 2 or 3 I'm all about that

JewniorGong 12-09-2012 05:48 PM

None of our RB's are feature backs. Dwyer and Redman lack explosiveness, Mendy lacks elusiveness and ability to break tackles.. We definitely needed Mendy's speed back there today but in all honesty he stinks so it's not like it woulda turned out any better