Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Am I seeings this correctly? Can we still effectively get a "bye"? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94715)

dez09231 12-10-2012 02:46 PM

Am I seeings this correctly? Can we still effectively get a "bye"?

If we beat Dallas and Cincy, we'd have at least 9 wins with the tiebreaker over the Bengals. If the Jets won out, they'd be 9-7.

We've have the head-to-head over both Cincy and New York heading into week 17. We would win the 3-way tie since we've have head-to-head over both teams.

We could rest up against Cleveland.

The only way that I don't see this working is if the Jets win two straight, the Bengals beat Philly, and the Colts lose two straight... that could potentially produce a 4-way tie for 9-7 after the final week, which we could miss out on the playoffs due to common opponents or strength of victory if either the Bengals or Jets would qualify for the 5th seed over the Colts, who would then probably take the 6th seed. So, we'd potentially have to play out week 17.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

It looks to me like even though we've played like shit for half the year, we could still end up with an effective "bye" with wins in the next 2 weeks...

teegre 12-10-2012 02:49 PM

Re: Am I seeings this correctly? Can we still effectively get a "bye"?

Short answer: YES.

That is why some of us have not yet slit our wrists.

steelerchad 12-10-2012 03:13 PM

It's correct.
I hate to see it happen this way, but there is a decent chance we could get in to the playoffs at 8-8 with only a win over Cincy.
For that to happen, we would need only 1 Jets loss and for Cincy to lose 1 game to either Philly or the Ravens.

Rotorhead 12-10-2012 05:14 PM

Well while we are at this we could still win the division, win out; ratbirds (who just canned their o coord) lose out.

BrandonCarr39 12-10-2012 05:18 PM

If Atlanta keeps playing like they did against Carolina(twice), Oakland, New Orleans(1st game), and Arizona, they could very well face an early exit in the playoffs. Despite their 11-2 record, they are not great.

Houston may be looking very good, but Brian Cushing's injury may come back to bite them in the playoffs.

Just saying.

tanda10506 12-10-2012 06:11 PM

Ok what am I missing? You can't get a bye unless you win the #1 or #2 spot, which to do that would mean that we would have to win our division and have a better record then 2 out of the other 3 teams that won their division. So in order to get a bye week Baltimore would have to lose EVERY game, we would have to win EVERY game, and the Pats and Broncos would have to lose all 3 of their games. It wouldn't have anything to do with the Jets and the Bengals would be out if we beat them. Everybody is saying "yes" and talking about the Jets so I must not be reading something right, but that's what I it looks like to me.

casteeler 12-10-2012 06:31 PM

How bout this team wins at Dallas first. After yesterday's performance who can say this team won't go 0-3? I would love to be positive but I haven't seen a good effort by the Steelers since they played the Giants. I have been absolutely raked over the coals for criticizing this team but I can't be Optimistic when this team can't play sound football on Offense,Defense and Special teams in a single game.On the upside Miller and Suisham continue to impress

teegre 12-10-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanda10506 (Post 1061732)
Ok what am I missing? You can't get a bye unless you win the #1 or #2 spot, which to do that would mean that we would have to win our division and have a better record then 2 out of the other 3 teams that won their division. So in order to get a bye week Baltimore would have to lose EVERY game, we would have to win EVERY game, and the Pats and Broncos would have to lose all 3 of their games. It wouldn't have anything to do with the Jets and the Bengals would be out if we beat them. Everybody is saying "yes" and talking about the Jets so I must not be reading something right, but that's what I it looks like to me.

Win at DAL.
Win at CINCY.

Depending on what the other teams do, PITT might have shored up a WC spot... and could then rest their wounded against CLEV. Hence, a "bye" week.

steelcity1974 12-10-2012 07:04 PM

Who you going to sit against the browns? Want to lose to them twice? Any team that loses to the browns twice in the same year is automatically disqualified from playoff contention (if that's not a rule it should be).

teegre 12-10-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelcity1974 (Post 1061763)
Who you going to sit against the browns? Want to lose to them twice? Any team that loses to the browns twice in the same year is automatically disqualified from playoff contention (if that's not a rule it should be).

If The Colon were not being placed on IR, I would have sat him. I would also sit Troy. I might sit Casey the Hutt, so that he is fresh for the play-offs... but, also gives McClendon some quality reps. Lastly, if nothign can be gained, then sit BB... and allow whatever ails him to have an extra week to heal.