Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Thoughts on the Haley offense (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94738)

GoFor7 12-10-2012 09:32 PM

Thoughts on the Haley offense

I'm not seeing how this offense is better than the one last year. They are 20th or something around that in scoring and have only hit the 30 point mark once. It hasn't kept Ben healthy. And frankly, I see some similar bone-headed plays that Arians got crucified for.

Ben is a top five QB (yes, I know some of you hate hearing that), but this offense is designed to make him more of a game manager. Would anyone think holding back Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees makes sense? Yet in Pittsburgh, the star QB has to be "put in his place" because "he only cares about his stats," or they want to see an out-dated style of football.

You guys want the offense to score points like the Patriots and Packers? Guess what, dink-and-dunk isn't going to do that. The Steelers are still of the mentality that time of possession is the be all end all, and they need to get out of it. They have the weapons to be a downfield passing team, yet they don't want to do that. Why? Haley sure wasn't scared about going downfield in Arizona. Perhaps Art has too much say in the offense. Regardless, if the Steelers don't start playing to their strengths then they won't be better than 20th in scoring. The offense is also hurting by the lack of turnovers generated by the defense and the complete and utter embarrassment that is the Steelers special teams. The Steelers need more points faster, not more time of possession.

In the latter part of the 70's dynasty, the Steelers went from a run heavy, defensive team to a pass heavy, high-scoring offensive team. Did yinzer nation get all up in arms when that dynasty won two more super bowls playing that way? Did Art Rooney Sr. go on media tours proclaiming a return to a ground-heavy attack? Steeler fans, learn from your history. Don't cover it up over some misguided notion that you don't want Ben on a pedestal.

TRH 12-10-2012 09:56 PM

Re: Thoughts on the Haley offense

it certainly started off good, but has tailed off considerably.
Our line has been riddled with injury, Pouncey has been playing below the standard, and those have helped diminish our run game.

The one aspect of the "Haley" offense i'm disappointed with is our complete lack of utilizing the outside. We run up the middle, Then we run up the middle again. Then we once again...run up the middle...even if it means running into our own guys where there's no hole.
And the passing. Most all the calls are down the field or slants of some sort in the middle. Rivers and the Chargers absolutely killed us on Sunday by having the receivers run turning routes to the outside and they kept completeing passes near the sideline over and over and over. I'm not understanding why we can't incorporate these type of routes either. Thats how Romo uses Dez Bryant.

I hate to say it, but once again - we are the leagues most predictable offense - often one can call plays from the comfort of your own couch at home. Hell, analysts in the booth do it.
I was hoping for more of a "surprise" attack but we seem to be doing the same thing. Still hoping this will change.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW 12-10-2012 09:58 PM

It's going to take more than 1 season to get the offense going, but it should get better next year just to many injuries on the o-line & also Ben being hurt.

GoFor7 12-10-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW (Post 1061867)
It's going to take more than 1 season to get the offense going, but it should get better next year just to many injuries on the o-line & also Ben being hurt.

Okay, if it takes more than one season for the players to get it then the offense is too complicated and too full of Haley's ego. You think just because it's a new offense players forget what they've been doing all their lives?

tony hipchest 12-10-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Ben is a top five QB (yes, I know some of you hate hearing that),
who the FUCK are you talking to??? :dang:

are you trapped in your own little cyberworld?

GoFor7 12-10-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1061887)
who the FUCK are you talking to??? :dang:

are you trapped in your own little cyberworld?

You didn't read any of the posts when Haley was first hired and Ben was "ignoring" him? Hell, did you even read any of the posts from yesterday? It's not exactly a secret that Pittsburgh isn't a QB-friendly city.

StainlessStill 12-10-2012 10:44 PM

How can you run ANY type of offense, ESPECIALLY a new one for the season when every single one of your offensive lineman miss time (most on IR) your franchise QB miss's time, his BACKUP miss's time, all your running backs miss time & your receiving core missing time? How is an offense supposed to produce any sort of chemistry when Sunday morning you tell your center you have to play left guard today? It's getting RIDICULOUS.

Other than Ben's magic, I can't remember a time where this offense was any bits or pieces consistent. We've had to have Pro-Bowl caliber TE's like Heath Miller play as an extra damn tackle his entire career because we can't keep people off our QB, the one supposed to be THROWING it to him.

We have so much talent with potential to score 35 points a game, yet, we barely escape stadiums lucky to score 21 points.

ZoneBlitzer 12-10-2012 10:54 PM

This offense has been fizzling out for awhile now. I liked the possession game early in the year but they have let go. It's super frustrating to see the talent level on this team straining to score 3 TDs.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW 12-10-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFor7 (Post 1061873)
Okay, if it takes more than one season for the players to get it then the offense is too complicated and too full of Haley's ego. You think just because it's a new offense players forget what they've been doing all their lives?

ask me this when was the last time a team change OC and had a successful season?? Maybe you just had to much of expectations...

PhantomJB93 12-10-2012 11:01 PM

I thought it was pretty good up until Ben's injury. I thought situational playcalling up to that point was better, I thought the schemes were better, I thought the offense as a whole was just operating better overall, and Haley hadn't even fully unleashed his playbook. But when Ben got injured everything kind of went downhill. I thought Haley designed horrible offenses for Leftwich and Batch in his first game, although against the Ravens the playcalling was much better. I'm willing to chalk that up to him being thrown into a bad situation though, for now.