Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ONE thing we lack is... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94743)

desertsteel 12-11-2012 12:33 AM

ONE thing we lack is...

What do you think the one thing we lack is?

For me, I'd say PLAYMAKERS. We have Ben, and sometimes AB, but on D... zilch. We have some solid play, like Clark and Timmons, but nothing like when Harrison and Troy were at their peak. I mean, if you think Troy is the same Troy for the past couple years, just youtube his highlights and watch the crazy game-changing plays he made in the past. That's all gone. We need playmakers to change the momentum of games IMO.

SoCalFan 12-11-2012 12:46 AM

Re: ONE thing we lack is...

Huh? We have plenty of playmakers! We are lacking leadership to light a fire under these guys asses when we play lesser teams!

tony hipchest 12-11-2012 12:48 AM

lets be honest...

every team lacks defensive MVP's like troy and harrison in their peak and the 2 SB's they have won us in the past 10 years.

ravens have suggs, reed, and lewis, and only won 1 SB before suggs and ed even got their. giants have won sb's.

after that, who is there?

this year we have lacked luck, health, and a killer instinct when facing the scrub teams.

StainlessStill 12-11-2012 12:50 AM

Consistency. We lack consistency.

4xSBChamps 12-11-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 1061960)
Consistency. We lack consistency.

living in Florida, I don't get to see many Steeler games, but what I heard Sunday evening by one of the talking-heads on ESPN when discussing the team's woes is something I have noticed when I do get to watch them play

"... you can't have an ad-lib'd, scramble & throw the ball on every play as an offensive scheme...

... I don't care how-good your QB is at extending-plays, nor how-much pain he can tolerate..."

SteelBobbleHead 12-11-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalFan (Post 1061958)
Huh? We have plenty of playmakers! We are lacking leadership to light a fire under these guys asses when we play lesser teams!

^ :drink: IMO we have not had anyone step up to fill the void in leadership. The D had that in Pottsy and the O in Hines. I could be wrong on the defensive side as Ryan Clark has done a great job on the field.

desertsteel 12-11-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalFan (Post 1061958)

Really? Tell me, who are the playmaking game-changers on defense? Do you realize where we rank in sacks and takeaways? Give me their names because I don't see them.

tony hipchest 12-11-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBobbleHead (Post 1061962)
^ :drink: IMO we have not had anyone step up to fill the void in leadership. The D had that in Pottsy and the O in Hines. I could be wrong on the defensive side as Ryan Clark has done a great job on the field.

mike logan cited the leadership in 2005 when the steelers were slumping after their 15-1 season in 2004.

they rode the inspiration of jerome to the SB and delivered a win in his hometown as they sent him off into the sunset.

we then lost players like jerome, von oelhoffen, stc, and there was a void in 2006 as the team started out 2-6 and lost many games similar to the ones lost this season.

i agree there is a leadership void.

as great as players like troy, clark, harrison, are, they are foot soldiers. ben leads as much as he can, but ultimately he has a job to do other than cheerlead and motivate.

we really got nobody to take up the torch players like porter and farrior left behind.

SteelersCanada 12-11-2012 01:16 AM

The lack of consistent and efficient pressure on the quarterback. That reason alone can be attributed to why we aren't creating turnovers. Lack of pressure = time in the pocket. Time in the pocket = precise throws. Precise throws = no interceptions.

The lack of pressure is killing us right now. Asking Ike to cover for 6 seconds is ridiculous, but he's been doing it for most of the year.

Rockonsteel 12-11-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertsteel (Post 1061963)
Really? Tell me, who are the playmaking game-changers on defense? Do you realize where we rank in sacks and takeaways? Give me their names because I don't see them.

Still no response yet. :noidea:

Not surprised. I imagine he's still scouring the roster with a fine tooth comb and a magnifying glass, trying to find that answer for you. You may be waiting a while.

Troy and Debo are shells of their former selves. Woodley is inconsistent and can't stay healthy. So, really, who is there? Certainly not the likes of Jason Worilds, Ryan Mundy or Curtis Brown.

So, yeah I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that answer.

Rockon