Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Strategy for Sunday (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=94904)

Riddle_Of_Steel 12-14-2012 07:54 PM

Strategy for Sunday

Simple question: what should the Steeler's offensive and defensive gameplan be for Sunday's game against the Cowboys?

My take (played from 4th - 11th grade, but admittedly am no offensive/defensive mastermind):

Defense

The largest personnel issue facing us for this game, IMHO, is our lack of healthy CBs. If I am not mistaken, we have a dinged-up Keenan, two guys we promoted from the practice squad, and guy we signed off the street about 8 days ago to work with. That's not so good. If they could not cover Spurlock, then Dez Bryant (if he plays), Austin, and Witten will provide them with an even greater challenge.

Romo will likely try to test the corners early. We may want to emphasize disguising our blitzes and mix in some soft zones with the OLBs to take away some of the comeback routes on the sidelines. Of course, that could offset the benefits we gain from rushing the shiate out of Romo instead.

Or float Polamalu around underneath to pick off deflected passes as long as they don't go to the middle of the field much-- Ryan Clark should be able to cover the middle if they try to go to the sidelines like Rivers did.

Murray is hot and cold, but I am thinking with only 1 healthy CB, Dallas is going to go to the air and only use their ground game to try and keep the defense on edge. In past years, Murray and the Dallas ground game would not even count as an afterthought-- Aaron Smith and Kiesel would make it disappear. But not so sure now....

Offense

The Chargers provided a blueprint of sorts on how to stop Big Ben last week.

Ironic, we basically adopted the Patriots' dink-n-dunk offense this season, and the Chargers used our gameplan that we used to beat the Pats last year (err.....2010), against us and it worked. They played press coverage, and rushed everybody at Ben.

The Cowboys will probably try that too. They are looking at our ramshackle Oline and salivating probably. Lets hope DeCastro plays as well as he was in the preseason-- they could use the boost up front. WIth their NT out for the year, this could balance out.

If our Oline wins the battle in the trenches, this game is over by halftime. The Cowboys pass defense ranks #8 right now, but I do think they are a tad bit overrated, and if Ben has anytime at all-- he should be able to carve them up like a turkey. Glad Jerr-reh will be able to watch it on his 60-yard television screen.

The Steelers need to find some success in the run game to keep their pass rush honest. Dwyer is due for a big game (hopefully), and with their NT out, maybe Pouncey and DeCastro can open some holes for Redman/Dwyer to plow through.

And if Dallas does start to get carried away with their pass rush, they need to free up Heath as a safety valve. It is a crying shame to see him being used as an extended RT.

Special Teams

Keep doing what they have been doing-- minus the retarded penalties. Our returners have been getting fantasic returns but 90% of the time, they get negated by a boneheaded holding penalty.

That needs to stop, and our special teams will become a potent weapon in games where our offense may be struggling.

Riddle_Of_Steel 12-14-2012 07:56 PM

Re: Strategy for Sunday

What's your take?

I like reading the strategy pieces some of you write-- there are a lot of football-knowlegable fans around here.

Fire Arians 12-14-2012 07:57 PM

in the words of rampage jackson

"my strategy is whoop some ass, cuz i don't like getting my ass whooped"

casteeler 12-14-2012 10:31 PM

WIN

steelersfan299 12-14-2012 10:37 PM

Don't let the running game shut down, let Big Ben do his thing, have all 4 linebackers stop dallas running game, cover Miles Austin and Jason Witten good.

SteelersCanada 12-14-2012 11:12 PM

Work off checkdowns and get back to our offensive form from midseason. The 'dink and dunk' offense needs to make a comeback - short throws to Heath, Brown and Sanders should open the downfield throw to Wallace now that he's proven he can catch it. Holding the ball for 35 minutes against that defense should tire them out plenty. Also, this makes Ware and Ratliff both non-factors - something that we're going to have to do in order for DeCastro to have a good first game in the NFL.

Agreed on your defensive philosophy for the game, though.

TheVet 12-14-2012 11:39 PM

Strategy A: "We need to show up with focus, and play our best."

Strategy B: "This game doesn't matter, because we play Cin next week, and once we win that of course we'll take care of Cle at home easily."

I think all we fans would all pick Strategy A, but then again, what do we know; we're not players.

desertsteel 12-14-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVet (Post 1063473)
Strategy A: "We need to show up with focus, and play our best."

Strategy B: "This game doesn't matter, because we play Cin next week, and once we win that of course we'll take care of Cle at home easily."

I think all we fans would all pick Strategy A, but then again, what do we know; we're not players.

I'm glad you're so sure of that...

TheVet 12-15-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertsteel (Post 1063479)
I'm glad you're so sure of that...

I think you may have misunderstood the post - I'm fan, not a player.
:noidea:

pittpete 12-15-2012 12:33 AM

Don't turn the ball over!!!!