Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   AFC North tie breakers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95042)

madtowndrunkard 12-17-2012 11:26 PM

AFC North tie breakers

How do the tie breakers work out? Lets say the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers all finish 9-7? Bengals are out correct? Who wins the division?

remaining schedules:

Ravens: Giants , Bengals

Bengals: Steelers, Ravens

Steelers: Bengals, Browns

TheVet 12-17-2012 11:50 PM

Re: AFC North tie breakers

I don't have the heart to think about tie breakers. Fortunately, there are more AFC playoff slots than deserving teams this year, so we do have a shot. If we make it, we make it, and that will be great. But my logical side says that maybe a higher draft pick and a lucky draft would be better for next year ...

Neil-Still-Rules-14 12-18-2012 12:04 AM

If all three finish at 9-7, the Steelers win the division and the Bengals miss the playoffs.

FrancoLambert 12-18-2012 12:06 AM

Big deal, we'll be one and done.

Cyphon 12-18-2012 07:46 AM

Can someone point out what I am missing here. I have seen people say if the Ravens lose out and we win out that we win the division but I can't figure out how so I know I am overlooking something or missing part of the rules:

1. Head to head is the first thing they look at and we split the series with the Ravens and assuming a win over the Bengals we have swept them. So that puts us in over the Bengals but we have to go to step 2 to determine vs the Ravens.

2. The 2nd thing they look at if the first doesn't clear it up is division record. Again, assuming the 9-7 scenario both us and the Ravens would finish 4-2 in the division. Meaning we have to look further.

3. This step is record vs common opponents. Right now our record vs opponents the Ravens have played or will play is 4-4 while their record is 4-3. A loss to the Giants would put them at 4-4. Add in division record and that puts us both at 7-5.

4. Next is conference record and the Ravens would be 8-4 while we are at 6-6. So doesn't that put the Ravens as the division winner?

WVABE 12-18-2012 08:16 AM

We're 3-1 against nfc, that's gotta fit in somewhere.

SlackerCSB 12-18-2012 08:29 AM

Pretty simple...

We win twice and the Ravens lose twice and we win the division.
We win the next two weeks and we get a wild card spot.
We win against Cincy, and lose in week 17 and Cincy losses in week 17 we get a wild card.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffs...thm=WinningPct

maddog78 12-18-2012 08:47 AM

We must win in the 3rd tie-breaker if Balt, Cincy, and Pitt all finish 9-7.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

rickpeterman 12-18-2012 02:10 PM

I think the Ravens win the division if there is a three-way tie or a two-way tie with any team.

They win on division record versus CIN

and they beat out the Steelers on conference record.

Rotorhead 12-18-2012 02:46 PM

Well they havent locked up the Div yet, so there is at least one scenario where they dont win, but they are assured a playoff spot, so it must be a three way or cincy still has a shot at the div title