Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Week 15 Observations: Where's Troy Polamalu? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95137)

Hawaii 5-0 12-19-2012 10:26 PM

Week 15 Observations: Where's Troy Polamalu?

Week 15 Observations: Where's Polamalu?

Tue Dec 18, 2012.
By Mike Bires

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-300.jpg

Troy Polamalu (43) lays down near the bench during the second half Sunday in Dallas.

STRUGGLES OF TROY

Zero. Zero. Zero.

That is what the Steelers have gotten from Troy Polamalu this season in terms of interceptions, sacks and forced fumbles.

This is not meant as a criticism of the long-haired Tasmanian devil of a safety. Heís only played four full games and one quarter of another due to injuries. While he has played in three straight games, itís not known how much his leg is still bothering him.

Sunday in Dallas, Polamalu seemed to be more active than in any game heís played this year. But heís yet to make a game-changing play like heís done so often during his remarkable career.

It certainly doesnít help heís hardly practiced the past few weeks. Because the Steelers donít want him to aggravate his injured calf muscles, Polamalu hasnít practiced on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Itís hard to fathom that in the four full games Polamalu has played, the Steelers have only won one of them.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-300.jpg

Fire Arians 12-19-2012 11:46 PM

Re: Week 15 Observations: Where's Troy Polamalu?

troy has been useful in the running game but has been weak in coverage, where teams have been killing us

SoCalFan 12-19-2012 11:56 PM

In all fairness he hasnt got much support back there in the depleted secondary! Get the rest of the crew back and he can (will I believe) do what he does!!!

SteelersCanada 12-20-2012 01:47 AM

Thanks for your service, Troy and all the fun plays you've made over the years for us, but lets see what we can get for him this offseason.

ZoneBlitzer 12-20-2012 01:51 AM

I thought the tandem of Allen and Clark was doing just fine. Maybe they could convert him to linebacker. Spell Foote for a few plays.

Ricco Suavez 12-20-2012 07:31 AM

Troy is NOT the player he was 3,2 or even a year ago. Nagging injuries and age have slowed him down. To be fair though I believe its other injuries in the defensive secondary that have hurt him a lot also. The coaching staff I believe have had Troy change his game to help with other areas, he is not able to "freelance" as much as in the past. He is helping on the whole but just not showing up as an individual force. I will be sadden when he retires, he is one of those that truly leaves it all on the field.

austinfrench76 12-20-2012 12:23 PM

I agree that Troy is not the player he was but I also think he doesn't seem to be in football shape. He was hurt for so long, like Harrison, he is still trying to get in shape. He looked LOST in some of the pass coverages which I think comes form not playing much this year. If and I do mean IF we get in the playoffs, I think we will see more of the old Trot. Unfortuantely though, I think the best of him is gone.

Cyphon 12-20-2012 12:37 PM

He has missed most of the season. Not sure why his numbers would be good.

JeromeBetties63 12-20-2012 12:39 PM

I am not quite ready to give up on him yet. Even in his prime he sometimes got burned taking risks. He needs lots of opportunities for those big plays to happen. Over the course of a season he gets them. He just hasn't been on the field and he is not in playing shape. The continuity is not there with the rest of the secondary right now. They have to get used to adjusting to what he does. I think he could give us another season or two of big plays. Let's see what happens down the stretch.

Riddle_Of_Steel 12-20-2012 12:42 PM

I think he just needs some time to get back up to speed.

I think they gave up on Ward too quick, and hope they don't do the same thing here. Ward stunk his last season, granted-- but it was more mental and conditioning based, than a dminished ability. Dudes don't go from being a valued key player to "old and done" in one offseason with no major injuries to deal with.

That lockout did nobody's game any favors, and it affected some players more than others.