Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Thanks LeBeau! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95233)

tanda10506 12-23-2012 04:22 PM

Thanks LeBeau!

Although witnessing our season end because of ANOTHER game losing turnover by a terrible offense was seemingly the worst thing that could have happened today, I'm concerned that we may have seen something worse: LeBeau's last meaningful game. It was a damn good performance by the defense, one that was reminiscent of 2008. Earlier this year we were at a point where our offense had stalled and our defense was pretty much figured out. The offense was struggling to run the ball and was missing a lot of opportunities (nothing new) and on the other side of the field many of us were wondering if the defense would ever be dominant again between the talent getting older and the schemes seemingly figured out. That's the difference between a great coach and a decent coach.

LeBeau cut the big cushion crap after seeing that it was not working. It did take him a while to make the adjustments, but HE did. We went from QB's (P. Manning and C. Palmer) saying that we ran the same play on defense the entire 2nd half to being the #1 Passing Defense in football. This time it wasn't smoke and mirrors either. The defense made the stands in the big games and played their best against the top teams, unlike last year were our stats were good against terrible teams and our defense failed late in the big games. LeBeau made the adjustments and our defense looked damn good in quite a few games and finished on top of the NFL (barring Cleveland racking up yardage/points on us). No doubt that if the offense would have played to even half of their potential that we could have won the AFC North and maybe the #1 or #2 seed with the defense playing the way they did today and in our other big games.

I'm not sure if he'll be back or not, but if he's not, this game was the way to go. Forget about the loss due to the offense, the defense gave up 3 points with backup CB's, TO's were forced and there was pressure on the QB. The run game of the Bengals was crushed and the defense spoon fed the offense the game. Just like they did in 2008 and 2010 and although we lost, I can't say I wasn't happy watching the game when our defense was on the field. It was one of those games that we used to have, where our defense was more of a threat to score in the first 3 quarters then our offense. I could go on and on but the title sums it up, we've had some good years specifically on the defensive side of the ball, thanks LeBeau!

harrison'samonster 12-23-2012 04:25 PM

Re: Thanks LeBeau!

whether he's ready to leave or not, Thanks Lebeau! and thanks Defense for giving us something to watch today.

FrancoLambert 12-23-2012 04:31 PM

Although he never played for us, a great Steeler.
Thanks Dick, you are the epitome of class and professionalism.

Kanata-Steeler 12-23-2012 04:32 PM

"...I'm concerned that we may have seen something worse: LeBeau's last meaningful game...."

my sentiments exactly, this Steeler Defense was/is atleast as good as the one from the 70's, and even BETTER than the the one from the 90's.
Don't get me wrong, this Defense has also made it's share of mistakes over the years.

I just keep wondering, if this steel-dream-machine defensively can maintain this year, after year, after year.
Even moreso now, we so desperately need to BUILD a #1 Offense in anticipation of this.
...of coutrse, depending on drafts, good replacement starters,..., as our Defense "ages",..., who really knows right ?

Anyway, @tanda, thanks very much for this post. !
:hatsoff:

BLACK_AND_YELLOW 12-23-2012 04:49 PM

I cant see LeBeau leaving like this imo..

tony hipchest 12-23-2012 05:09 PM

very nice and appropriate thread. i certainly hope we havent seen the last of one of the best in the biz...

nj1923steelgirl 12-23-2012 05:11 PM

I hope he does not go out this way.....if he does leave...I hope he leaves after a winning season!

GMU Steeler 12-23-2012 05:12 PM

I really hope it's not the end for him. I really hope we get the chance next year to send him out on top. He deserves it. Class act all the way and one of the many reasons to love this franchise.

fer522 12-23-2012 05:17 PM

I hope it wasn't his last game but if it was he should take Tomlin with him :noidea:

tanda10506 12-23-2012 05:26 PM

It would be great if he lets us know today or after the Browns game like he did last year in Denver. Nothing would be worse then waiting months and months to know if he'll be back.