Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A Bit Confused Over The Hate (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95255)

Darkstorm05 12-23-2012 07:49 PM

A Bit Confused Over The Hate

The entire second half of the season the forum was swamped with people saying the Steelers don't deserve a playoff spot, or even that they don't want the Steelers in the playoffs. Now that we're eliminated, these people have their wish, yet they aren't happy. Instead they're mostly on here attacking fans who preferred to cheer for the team to win.

I don't really understand this mentality. You got the record you hoped for this season. Shouldn't you be celebrating this, since it's what you professed to want? Instead, just more bitching, but now aiming the hate at other fans. :noidea:

steve314 12-23-2012 08:04 PM

Re: A Bit Confused Over The Hate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 (Post 1069143)
The entire second half of the season the forum was swamped with people saying the Steelers don't deserve a playoff spot, or even that they don't want the Steelers in the playoffs. Now that we're eliminated, these people have their wish, yet they aren't happy. Instead they're mostly on here attacking fans who preferred to cheer for the team to win.

I don't really understand this mentality. You got the record you hoped for this season. Shouldn't you be celebrating this, since it's what you professed to want? Instead, just more bitching, but now aiming the hate at other fans. :noidea:

Can't speak for others, but I was disappointed in the Steelers this year, not just in the second half of the year, but in the sloppy losses to bad teams starting in week 3. I wasn't wishing that they missed the playoffs, but wishing for a forum where people could be critical of the Steelers when they aren't playing well. Now that the people who predicted missed playoffs were right, there is some "I told you so" going around, just as there would've been the other way, with the optimists saying that the Negative Nancies were foolish and wrong to give up too soon etc., if the Steelers had somehow made the playoffs.

I'd definitely rather the Steelers win than my being right, though!

SteelersCanada 12-23-2012 08:09 PM

We're a spoiled bunch and instead of reacting reasonably, we lash out and cry when we can't win every year. Instead of objective thinking, they call for Tomlin's head and ask for someone else to be brought in when we play poorly and adjusting and dealing with injuries.

The loudmouth and guys that say stupid things should be ignored and laughed at. Tomlin isn't going anywhere and people that think he is don't know how this organization works.

Ricco Suavez 12-23-2012 08:16 PM

Some on here do seem to relish the drama of an unsuccessful season (any season ending without another Lombardi). Others see only the light Black and Gold glasses emit. Truth is we are not going to be a great team every year, even a good team, the longer Cowher stays gone the better his career seems. We had some lean years during his tenure and as good as Cowher was his teams only made the big game twice and lost one and won one. But this season had a lot of promise and I was not concerned that we lost to an Oakland or Titan team early, I felt we would struggle some and the offense and the defense did both early. When we started to jell and where at 6-3 I was truly excited about our chances, but Ben's injury and many, many more to key personnel hurt our momentum. We never looked like a team capable of making a post-season run after that. So while I always root for the Steelers now that we are done I say so what if we lose next week. Improve our draft position and hope we can pick up some people that will fit in and help, hope the coaches come up with better game plans, and I personally hope either the Falcons, Vikings, Broncos, or even the Seahawks win the Superbowl.

plenewken 12-23-2012 08:24 PM

It is precisely because we have watched great Steelers teams for years that we have a hard time accepting the fact that they have fallen so low. If it was due to lack of talent, it would be a good reason but it's mostly because of lack of effort, poor attitude, lack of discipline, no focus, and terrible management (coaching).
After 15 games this season, I will say that besides 2 games (in Baltimore and in NY), the 13 others have been been garbage.

I hope the Rooneys see the writing on the wall and act quickly and swiftly. Some players don't deserve to wear a Steelers jersey and others need to have their @ss kicked before they're allowed to wear it again.
The entire Coaching staff has also to be held accountable for this debacle.

Fire Arians 12-23-2012 08:28 PM

never 'hoped' they would miss the playoffs, I'd never say that, never wish for a loss ever, even if it's the final game of the season and a loss would gain us the #1 pick in the draft.

with that said, I was a realist and didn't think this was a playoff caliber team after losing to SD. championship teams sometimes drop 1, maybe 2 games to weak competition, but not 4. I knew something was up with the team and knew they wouldn't be getting anywhere. with that said, I hope we win next week against cleveland, because getting swept by the browns would be the ultimate low

ZoneBlitzer 12-23-2012 08:31 PM

This years edition was the Barney Fife of football teams. Most teams with their turnover differential are well below .500 so they are good, there is potential but I kept waiting for the O to ignite but it never did. Instead it fizzled out like a dud firecracker. It was like watching Edward Norton punch himself in the head in Fight Club.

steve314 12-23-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plenewken (Post 1069181)
It is precisely because we have watched great Steelers teams for years that we have a hard time accepting the fact that they have fallen so low. If it was due to lack of talent, it would be a good reason but it's mostly because of lack of effort, poor attitude, lack of discipline, no focus, and terrible management (coaching).
After 15 games this season, I will say that besides 2 games (in Baltimore and in NY), the 13 others have been been garbage.

I hope the Rooneys see the writing on the wall and act quickly and swiftly. Some players don't deserve to wear a Steelers jersey and others need to have their @ss kicked before they're allowed to wear it again.
The entire Coaching staff has also to be held accountable for this debacle.

The economic argument for NFL teams is interesting. The more loyal the fans are, the less (economic) incentive there is for the team to actually improve. If some owner knew that he would sell out the stadium every week and sell plenty of merchandise despite going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 every year, what's the economic incentive to improve the team? (Of course some owners have pride in the team and want to be good regardless of economics.)

Not saying that everyone should think of the NFL only as a business, but the NFL sure thinks of itself that way these days, so perhaps settling for a subpar product is unwise.

Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to the Steelers ownership. We'll see what happens going forward.

And it is easy to be spoiled as a Steeler fan with all their success. On the other hand, it's been a long time since I first sat through the Steelers losing to a crap team. One of the first ones I remember was the first ever game vs the Jaguars, back in 1995 (a crap expansion team that ended up 4-12)--yes, the Steelers managed to lose to a horrible expansion team. So this frustration with sloppy play, dropped passes, timeouts wasted in the 3rd quarter, and in general playing down to the competition goes back a long time.

steve314 12-23-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plenewken (Post 1069181)

The 4th quarter vs the Jets was pretty good. True that the opponent wasn't great, but at least they held the ball and ran out the clock, including a 15 play TD drive.

tanda10506 12-23-2012 09:12 PM

There's a big difference in hope and reality. Saying that they don't deserve the playoffs and not wanting them to get there are two different things. Does a team that loses to pretty much every bottom feeder they play "deserve" to be there, no. That doesn't mean I don't want to see my team bounce back and play like they should. I don't understand how every overly optimistic person on this forum doesn't understand that. It doesn't matter if I think we can/will win or not, I'm still watching on Sunday wearing the same jersey as the week before, but that doesn't mean I'm going to act like we are SB bound when we can't even beat the Raiders, Titans, Chargers, or Browns.