Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tomlin Getting Bad Rap (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95281)

Steelers5895 12-23-2012 10:09 PM

Tomlin Getting Bad Rap

I am big believer in Mike Tomlin.

He has gotten us to two super bowls and won one. can't remove that from his resume. You can say it was Cowher's team BUT lets not forget Cowhers early success was from Chuck Noll draft classes. Once Cowhers players were replacing the ones from Noll, we went through a tough spell (1998-2000).

I think the same with Tomlin. The thing is, Tomlin is in a tough spot. Dick Lebeau's defense is no longer dominant. it doesnt make big plays, get pressure or turnovers. It has blown more leads then held in the last 3 seasons. We need a fresh, new defense BUT that would mean having to clean house and get players who fit the new scheme. Doing that means giving up a year of success while in transition.

Or, stay with Lebeau and keep the older, under producing players because it is such a complicated scheme that if you try and bring in younger players you will also give up a year in transition.

On offense, he was told to bring in Haley. He said all the right things but that wasnt his hire.

As for game decisions. I dont see many head scratching decisions. He challenges too quickly on plays the team should be able to overcome but his logic behind his decisions at his press conferences make sense. Just like the FG attempt today. Suisham has been hot and I was ok with the risk.

As for personnel. he drafted wallace, brown, sanders, pouncey, cortez allen, timmons, woodley, mendy, curtis brown and many other contributors.

The one thing i dont see that I would like to see more of is some of his ex players coming to Pitt. Only mewelde moore so far. I hope that changes and Percy Harvin is a Steeler in 2013.

I like Tomlin and he is here to stay and I am fine with that.

casteeler 12-23-2012 10:14 PM

Re: Tomlin Getting Bad Rap

You can look foward to a few more years of missing the playoffs if you think Tomlin is the head coach for this team

Blackout 12-23-2012 10:16 PM

I wouldn't fire Tomlin over one bad season, a few more consecutive ones then we'll talk.

Hate to be in his shoes right now, especially in a meeting with the Rooneys. He's gotta have the worst gig in the NFL to meet fan and owner expectations.

I have no issues with the draft picks, I think Colbert has done an excellent job IMO. But Tomlin is a player's coach, not someone you see giving discipline out to the vets.

We'll see what happens next season.

Steelers5895 12-23-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casteeler (Post 1069353)
You can look foward to a few more years of missing the playoffs if you think Tomlin is the head coach for this team

why is that? what do you see?

ZoneBlitzer 12-23-2012 10:22 PM

Sorry I'm just not drinking the kool-aid. I've never really embraced him. Cowher developed a winning formula. His one weakness was the QB. As soon as he gets one, he retires. A professional mistake IMO.

jiminpa 12-23-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer (Post 1069366)
Sorry I'm just not drinking the kool-aid. I've never really embraced him. Cowher developed a winning formula. His one weakness was the QB. As soon as he gets one, he retires. A professional mistake IMO.

His wife in the process of dying of cancer may have had something to do with the decision to retire from coaching, in which case it was a great decision.

SteelersCanada 12-23-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casteeler (Post 1069353)

Based on what? Please tell me, football guru on what evidence you're going to use to back this statement. I'd love to hear it, but for some reason, I think you're just spouting off bullshit.

So, spouting off bullshit or backing a very, very bold statement with evidence. I wonder which is more likely.

Steelers5895 12-23-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

see i felt that way about cowher. rode nolls players to early success. those players left and he was left with his players and we went down hill fast. He gets ben and wins a super bowl with an inferior team,misses playoffs then retires.

Tomlin takes those same players and makes the playoffs then wins a super bowl.

Cowher was able to come in and pick his coaches and was allowed to make a move like cutting huey richardson.

Tomlin seems to be restricted.

PhantomJB93 12-23-2012 10:26 PM

People keep saying he lives off Cowher's players. I think a lot of people forget Cowher had his run of failure as well and several of those same players were a result of drafting early (Hampton and Polamalu) while others being credited to Cowher never developed into great players until Tomlin came around (Harrison, Clark, Keisel). Tomlin hasn't had the benefit of drafting early and the only time he has, I'd say he knocked it out of the park (Pouncey).

I really can't believe Tomlin gets as much hate as he does. He's to blame for some of the suckfest that happened this year but so is the lack of effort and focus by seveal of the players, and not to mention the injuries, and it's not like firing him is going to magically bring in the perfect coach and everything is going to be great again. Tomlin is a top-7, probably a top-5 coach, and the reason we are one of the top consistent, successful franchises is that we don't give up on our players and coaches the second one bad season comes around. Other teams fire their coaches and trade their players when that happens, and it sets them back years as a result. That's what losing teams do and it's what fairweather fans want. It's not the Steeler way.

lardlad 12-23-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Well that and his wife getting cancer.