Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If not Ben, then who? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95454)

Ricco Suavez 12-29-2012 04:24 PM

If not Ben, then who?

I read a lot of disappointment and some hate on the forums about Ben and I would like to know who some of you think we can replace him with. I don't want to read a bunch of crap of trading Ben for Brees, Luck, RGIII, or some pie in the sky trade that has very little chance of happening. I want to know who in the upcoming draft, or free agent, or some down on his luck QB (like Sanchez) that their team would like to trade for Ben. I mean some of you are so fed up with him lets hear a strategy that will let us move on from him.

GoFor7 12-29-2012 04:47 PM

Re: If not Ben, then who?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez (Post 1071203)
I read a lot of disappointment and some hate on the forums about Ben and I would like to know who some of you think we can replace him with. I don't want to read a bunch of crap of trading Ben for Brees, Luck, RGIII, or some pie in the sky trade that has very little chance of happening. I want to know who in the upcoming draft, or free agent, or some down on his luck QB (like Sanchez) that their team would like to trade for Ben. I mean some of you are so fed up with him lets hear a strategy that will let us move on from him.

Did yinzer nation provide the name of another QB when they wanted to run Bradshaw out of town?

Some of them might not want a star QB at all. They want to go back to being about running and defense - a.k.a. 90's football. It's the preferred style of yinzer nation, but it hasn't won them anything.

Ricco Suavez 12-29-2012 04:50 PM

GF7, I just want to give some folks a chance to put a plan out there, I mean some are hell bent to get rid of him. I just want the FO to read some of their great ideas on how to do so. (It is a fact that the FO got rid of Arians from reading Steelers Forum) OK I made up that last part, but I have read something along those lines.

TRH 12-29-2012 04:51 PM

nobody. I hear what you're saying - but in reality 15 poeple who are "unhappy" (ah...poor them) in online forums doesn't matter. And i'm sure our front office, Tomlin, Haley, and the rest aren't losing sleep over what a couple of people "online" say.
He's here - he's one of the best - and barring a very serious injury, will be for quite awhile.

That said - i DO think the time has come to look for a decent, strong backup QB. We've went far too long with unsatisfactory backups. I think you'll see the team make a move here this offseason. Actually, they probably have to, i don't even think they have a choice.
And i'm sure for the first time, even though its fairly distant amount of time away, the front office is probably throwing ideas around of how, when, and what type of guy they'll go after when they're ready to groom their next #1. In these days, there is no "multi-year" wait while a QB 'learns'. Most are ready to go day 1.

Darkstorm05 12-29-2012 05:18 PM

There really is nobody else out there to do the job at his level. Only 4 or 5 guys in the NFL are an actual upgrade, and there's zero chance of getting any of them. Even if you wanted to take a guy who's a tier lower but younger to go forward, none of them are up for grabs either. Luck, RGIII, etc., are going to be locked down by their franchises.

In reality, the highest quality guys you're likely to get hold of would be Sanchez, maybe Palmer, or Brandon Weedon if he gets cut loose next year when they get new coaches. These guys are bottom 15 starters, but that's all we'd have a realistic shot at getting in here. No thanks.

I would expect a late round draft pick in the next draft to be a backup QB. About 3 to 5 seasons from now I expect we'll see the window open to begin looking for Ben's replacement.

Ricco Suavez 12-29-2012 05:27 PM

I participated in a thread before the draft and I am on record as saying I thought we should draft a QB. I really hoped Cousins or Wilson would of been available in the later rounds but evidently they were thought of as high or higher than I did and it shows. I have no problem drafting a young player, just wish we would us it one who can be more of a pocket passer and not one who leans toward a running threat.........ala....Dennis Dixon

objectivefan 12-29-2012 05:29 PM

In my opinion, Ben is one of the top 5 QBs in the league. Maybe he is going into his later years, and I m not even sure if that is true, but come on! We will see how painful life can be when Ben is no longer on this football team. THe NFL is no longer a running/def league. Ben has won two SBs, yes one he played like shit but the other he won! Collective deep breath, keep Ben HEALTHY and the north is ours next year.

harrison'samonster 12-29-2012 05:36 PM

I definitely don't want to see BB go, and I don't think he will be easily replaceable.

I agree, I would like to see us going after a QB in the draft, but definitely a pocket passer type. Qb's running in the NFL only get hurt. I don't know any other solid backups out there who is available like a Kyle Orton?

Does anybody know if Batch or Leftwich actually plan on retiring? I think the Steelers will still keep them if they could. I think we need to keep one of them, and it doesn't matter to me which one (I think they are both good backups).

teegre 12-29-2012 05:47 PM

I am assuming that this is a "hypothetical" questions... as in: If BB retired today...???

Because, there is no QB that I prefer to BB....
...although, I'd possibly trade for Andrew Luck.

[Luck is nine years younger.]

So, if he BB were to retire, I'd trade everything to acquire Andrew Luck. This year's R1, R2, R3, and next year's R1 & R2 picks. Alas, that still would not do it.

SILVER LINING
The Steelers still have those five picks, to use, to surround BB with more talent... like a couple of safeties, a couple of LBs, and maybe even a tall WR or something.

SteelersCanada 12-29-2012 06:00 PM

Newton. Give him our young offensive line and our receiving talent (with Da'Rick Rogers or Robert Woods) and he'd blossom.