Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Next Year (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95493)

Ricco Suavez 12-30-2012 07:27 PM

Next Year

Your thoughts on next year. None of this get rid of Tomlin, Ben , Haley, Lebeau stuff. I am here to tell you none of that is happening unless the ones mention decide to leave on their own. I wil start.

First RB, I for one am willing to resign Mendenhall, IF, he can be signed at a fair price. Dwyer needs to be told in no uncertain terms to show up in playing shape, he has been in the league now for what 3 years and he has been woefully out of shape every season opener. Redman is OK for backup , but I would love to sign one Rookie that the Steelers see some promise in. I love Raineys potential but just do not know if he is being utilized. His size has proved to be an issue this year.

Second WR, I am in the minority but I think you let Plax go, sorry would of loved to have had him in his prime but 36 year old (next year Aug) is a little old to be playing a young mans position. Brown, Crotch, signed and back. Wallace, oh what to do? Sign him if possible, but do not break the bank. If he agrees to a deal I think he can put this season behind him. Would love to find a serviceable wideout in the draft, easier said than done.

TE, gonna need somebody to fill in for Heath until he is healed. Might be time to draft or find a free agent. Pope will do for now, Paulson not so much.

OL, honestly I just think this unit needs to stay healthy for a little while and they could become a good group. I do not know who has replaced Kugler but all I can hope is they do a good job.

Ben , he will be back and I expect a great season, IMO Batch and Lefty need to go. We need a young guy who can learn and play without breaking down on the first big hit. Lot of experience but I for one would rather go younger especially if its someone who has some promise.

DL Hampton was the anchor of this great defense, along with Smith for years, but it is time to go, Coaches have talked up McClendon for some time, lets see what he can do. Kiesel needs another chance to show what he can do. Heyward and Ziggy will both be back, but would love some new blood in this lineup.

LBers Woodley had a disappointing season, but hopefully is back better than ever, Timmons had a great year and would be nice to see these guys great together one year. I expect Worilds, Spence to see time. Harrison may have to redo his contract to play another season. Foote, I honestly do not know, he is still capable but I would love to see a high draft choice replace him.

DB/S Ike is back, maybe for the last hurrah. Lewis needs to be resigned but may be too expensive and with only one quality season under his belt who could blame the Steelers for not over spending. Both Allens, Clark and Troy are back but need some more young talent with them. I think Troy bounces back but him and Clark are both short timers now. Saddens me.

Kicker Suisham is reliable and should be here unless beaten out by some unknown.
Punter We need a new one.
ST Coach Replace

Without looking over the next draft I can not at this time even hazard a guess who will likely make the team next year, but we need fresh blood, new backups, and we need a new ST coach. Haley and Ben both need to give and take a little next year. We cannot play so conservative, yet we cannot go to a heave it down field concept either. We need a somewhat (I said somewhat) balanced attack and either new RBs or new technique used on the OL. Bens numbers were good til the injury, then something happened. Ben Bashers think he rebelled,but I think it was a combination of things, and one of those is the other teams finally after 9 games had film on this offense and they squeezed the WR on the line and basically eliminated the long ball with a line that could not give protection. Without a decent running game our options were few and futile. There was a reason that Heath was targeted as much as he was and that is he is our most physical receiver and broke open more. I do not think we need an overhaul, just a little tweaking. The thing that scares me the most is I thought this years team ONLY needed a LITTLE tweaking after Arians left. We will see.

harrison'samonster 12-30-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Next Year

nice post. I agree with a lot of what you say. We are going to need somebody at WR or TE (especially w/Heath's injury) who is going to play physical and go after the ball over the middle.

As for the OL, I completely agree, they need time to play together as a unit to improve. For this reason, I think we might have seen the last of Colon. Love the way he plays but he's been injured too much.

At QB I think we either keep one of Batch or Lefty. If not, we'll be looking for a proven back-up to add some depth.

I think Hampton is going to be gone. I have loved seeing him as a Steeler and he will definitely be missed. I am eager to see what Heyward, Hood, Keisel, and McLendon will be like.

Ricco Suavez 12-30-2012 07:45 PM

Some of these high price back up QBs that were signed for starting QB money could be available when teams cut the fat next year.

austinfrench76 12-30-2012 07:52 PM

I agree with alot of the post, I would LOVE to see us grab a great TE this year. Just not sure who's available FA or draft. We also need a true #1 WR. I think Wallace is gone. RB would be a good pick up too but Mendehall seems like he's coming back. Here's to the draft...!

NSMaster56 12-30-2012 07:58 PM

The 2013 Steelers will be fine. 10-6 or better. How much better depends on how they fix their obvious deficiencies and/or how much fire and focus they decide to play with.

As succinctly as possible:

Despite injuries, a conflict with the OC and a terrible end to the year, Big Ben still sported a 3-to-1 TD/INT ratio. If not for those terrible picks vs. CIN and DAL it would have been 4-to-1.

Not adjusting for ST TD's, only five teams allowed fewers points than the Steelers. Ergo, the D is still clicking and not a problem.

SIX losses of 6 or fewer points... I mean... even after factoring in injuries that's just insane and unlikely to happen again.

---

There are only four things to be wary of come 2013: (of which at least one or two can be fixed)

The ST's cost the Steelers at least two games (TEN and BAL) and are unlikely to be fixed.

Likewise, the OL continues to be an achilles heel. The team can still win with a patchwork one, but, barring massive improvement, there will be games that frustrate even the most serene fan.

Gotta figure out the run game.

Need a viable backup QB. Big Ben is entering the old Dan Marino phase of his career and will miss 2-4 games a year. Must prepare as such.

Can't wait for September.

casteeler 12-30-2012 08:03 PM

I am absolutely amazed at the short term memory that a lot of people around here have. Ben will play the same way next year as he has his whole career and will miss a couple of games due to injury so why not draft or trade for a NFL grade backup? The Offensive line needs big time help due to the fact they cannot run block.Mendy is not a starting running back,wanna take pressure off Ben? Make teams fear the Steeler running game so a primary running back is needed. Plex is a heck of an upgrade over Wallace and probably quite a bit cheaper. Miller is Bens favorite target but will miss atleast half the season due to injury but Pitt Panther TE Shannahan would absolutely make this offense feel like Miller was still in the Huddle. Tomlin and Haley will still be around so we can expect Hell to be unleashed,timeouts wasted and head scratching play calls.I love my Steelers but they are in need of a lot of changes or an 8-8 2013 season.....Changes please:tt03:

fer522 12-30-2012 08:19 PM

Ben and Haley need to be on the same page if Ben buys into Haley's offense then everybody will buy into it and we'll finally see what this offense is capable of

nj1923steelgirl 12-30-2012 08:22 PM

Changes need to happen.....looking forward to 2013

sloppyjoe 12-30-2012 08:25 PM

i see a 9-7 or 10-6 record and us missing the playoffs again.
there is nothing i see from the head coach that shows me he is learning anything or has the ability to motivate players
aging players that are always hurt, or underperforming
very few younger guys stepping up
no leaders on either side of the ball
undisciplined
team has no identity.. except for being soft and unprepared

PhantomJB93 12-30-2012 08:53 PM

I think one of Lefty/Batch should go but not both. If Batch retires, keep Lefty, if not cut Lefty and keep Batch. Either way draft a QB in rounds 5-7 or sign a UFA (not every backup QB has to be an early pick Kaepernick or Wilson, they were drafted early with the intention of being eventual starters)

Ideally a RB should be drafted in round 2 or 3 this year. Round 2 unless a great prospect that could've gone in the first is still there for us. If Mendenhall is resigned cheap as a backup I won't complain but no matter what the plan can't be to go into next season with him the starter, or anyone else on this roster. A new workhorse needs to be found ASAP, none of this committee bullshit.

Resign Plax, don't go anywhere near Wallace, and draft a tall, physical receiver somewhere late in the draft. Not much needs to be done at WR but AB and Sanders need to rebound and get their shit together.

IDK when Heath will be ready. He will obviously be missed. I think Pope and Paulson can man the fort until he returns. I don't think we need to draft anybody and somebody decent can probably be found in FA cheap who can also contribute in Heath's absence.

I don't think anything needs to be done with OL. The personnel is all there if they can stay healthy for once. If Starks was on a one year deal this year, resign him again. The man has earned the starting LT job until he either retires or really loses a step.

If the rumors Harrison is leaving I heard today are true, he will be missed, but I am excited for Jason Worilds and think he will be a more than adequate replacement. His coverage skills as a complete OLB may not be there yet but he displayed massive improvements to his pass-rush this season and arguably had a better season than Woodley. I don't think an OLB needs to be drafted early to replace Harrison until Worilds is given a full chance, but I won't be completely upset if one is.

At ILB obviously Timmons is a beast. Foote could stay another year or could go. If he does, we have no idea what we're getting with Spence. I have preached and preached for Te'o and am still holding out hope we make a Polamalu-esque trade up for him, but we probably won't. Alec Ogeltree could be the answer in the draft but he's not really in our draft position range. If Foote is gone his spot is definitely the biggest question mark if the first round pick isn't an ILB.

I think the DLine is fine. Hood may not be Aaron Smith but he's been a perfectly adequate DE and does not need to be replaced just yet. I fully trust Mclendon to take over for Casey, who should be cut. Ta'amu was kept through all his legal BS so at this point just keep him for good. Keisel is getting old and should have his role reduced next year with Heyward seeing ore snaps. Noone needs to be drafted except for maybe added depth.

We NEED to resign Keenan Lewis. I know Allen has looked great too recently but we've been trying to develop a #2 CB for 4 years now since Townsend left, and we finally have one. I'd trust Allen with the job if we fail to sign Lewis but I'm not ready to see Curtis Brown in the nickel yet.

Troy Polamalu is only 31. I know he's had injury problems lately but I'm sure as hell not ready to cut him yet. He and Clark should still be our safeties next year. We definitely need to start looking for their replacements in the draft though, an first or second round pick should be spent on one within the next two drafts.

Overall, the only immediate changes personnel-wise that need to be made are RB and maybe ILB. Ben needs to stop being a drama queen and work it out with Haley, whose offense I thought was very good before injuries completely ruined the unit. Hopefully LeBeau comes back. I've stated my thoughts on the Tomlin haters numerous times in other threads but he will have this team ready to go next year, just as he did after the 09 season, just as he did after the 07 season, and everyone needs to calm down.