Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Imagine that, Plax contributing to win (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95563)

Hawaii 5-0 01-01-2013 12:45 PM

Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
Imagine that, Plax contributing to win

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-300.jpg

Plaxico Burress celebrates his game-clinging touchdown with Leonard Pope in the fourth quarter.

Sunday, December 30, 2012
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH -- Let the record show that the Steelers’ final touchdown of a madcap season was scored by Plaxico Burress.

How bizarre is that?

There was Plax, taking a couple bows in the end zone with 3:20 left to play after clinching a win that allowed the Steelers to finish a ho-hum 8-8.

The whole Burress dilemma was one of many mysteries in a season of hope that ended in failure.

After re-acquiring Burress on Nov. 20, the Steelers never knew quite what to do with him. It wasn’t until the season finale, Sunday's 24-10 win over the Browns, that coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley finally put him to good use.

In a game in which no Steelers’ receiver was targeted more than three times or caught more than two passes, Burress proved that at age 35 he could still make significant plays.

He caught two passes, each for 12 yards. He also accounted for 12 penalty yards by drawing a pass interference flag against Cleveland star cornerback Joe Haden.

The touchdown was classic Burress, a high ball from Ben Roethlisberger thrown where only a big man could get it.

It was a classic red zone mismatch: Burress, at 6-foot-5, matched up man-to-man against the 5-11 Haden.

Touchdown, Steelers.

Take a bow, Plax.

“It was nice, it was fun,” Roethlisberger said of his first TD pass to Burress since 2004. “He’s got a big body down there and he made a great catch.”

So the question begs to be asked: Where was Burress last week when the Steelers needed to beat the Bengals?

Why did Tomlin choose not to even dress him in a game the Steelers needed to win in order to keep their playoff hopes alive?

Instead, Tomlin dressed five running backs: Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Rainey and Baron Batch.

Baron Batch?

Are you kidding?

In a game they really had to win, the Steelers dressed Baron Batch instead of Burress, a former first-round draft pick who caught a winning TD for the Giants in the Super Bowl a few years ago.

Unbelievable.

Batch had zero carries and zero catches in last week's 13-10 loss before breaking his arm covering a kickoff late in the first half.

Even dressing Rainey over Burress was a mistake. Granted, Rainey returns kickoffs but it’s not that he’s a game-breaking specialist. In a game the Steelers had to win, Emmanuel Sanders could have returned kickoffs. As it turns out, Rainey didn’t have any carries or any receptions and only returned two kickoffs for 33 and 34 yards.

What a waste of manpower.

Ever since returning to Pittsburgh, Burress was used sparingly. Out of 195 offensive snaps in his first three games, he was on the field for only 19 of them. He didn’t dress in the loss in Dallas. He didn’t dress in the home loss to the Bengals.

In the locker room after Sunday’ win over the Browns, Burress chose not to criticize the coaches for the way he’s been used.

“You know, all I can do is prepare,” he said.

But Burress looked good enough against the Browns that Roethlisberger envisioned him back in a Steelers uniform next year.

“He has plenty of game left,” Roethlisberger said.

Too bad the Steelers didn’t put Burress to work sooner. Like last week.

http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...eb6bd4048.html

fer522 01-01-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
I asked my self the same question where the F... is Plax? another great call by our genius coach:doh:

SteelersCanada 01-01-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
This guy calls himself a Steelers writer but doesn't know the first thing about this team. Chris Rainey dressed over Plaxico because he's the primary KR guy. Kickers have to kick away from him or ensure touchbacks because they're afraid of his speed and breakaway ability. Baron Batch dressed over him because he's our Special Teams captain and deserved to dress. We have too many Running Backs for Baron to get any significant carries, so he's our ST captain until we get rid of the dead weight we have at Running Back.

Does this guy know what he's talking about?

ZoneBlitzer 01-01-2013 01:30 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
This misuse of personnel is on the coaching staff. They needed to be bold and creative to get Plax in the game. His size and experience makes him a difference maker and Ben has been calling for a receiver of his stature ever since he left.

I thought that had they used Plax more he would've provided the shot in the arm that Ben needed to get him out of his late season funk.

But the coach chose to continue to bash his head against the wall by opting for the status quo.

Sometimes a line-up change can provide the spark that's needed.

tanda10506 01-01-2013 02:29 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
It's a no brainer and I don't see how Tomlin/Haley missed THAT TOO. Seems like this team is held back by no brainer decisions. Things like starting the correct RB, the correct WR's, punting to top punt returners, playing players that are too hurt to play, playing star players in pointless games like Week 17, etc. Stupid decisions hurt our team this year. Plax should have flew up the depth chart, not due to him being some Top 10 WR, but because our's can't catch shit and fumble when they do.

I'm not saying Plax is a long term solution, obviously he is not, but I'd be pretty nervous if he and Cotchery were gone and we only had the young money crew. The young money crew doesn't get open for Ben, they can't catch shit (except Brown) and they fumble constantly. So if the choice is between a fast guy who fumbles and drops it all the time or a 6'5 big target veteran WR with SB experience and great route running, isn't the decision obvious? The counter argument is that we need to develop our young WR's, but by the time Plax got here this year, Wallace had already proven he wasn't a #1 (if even a starter). He stunk it up all year and showed us nothing during the last half of last year. I would have even been in favor of starting Sanders over Wallace to see if Brown and Sanders could be a truly good #1/#2 combo, but he shit the bed too.

Let Wallace walk, let Sanders walk if he's looking for much money, and keep the vets around another year or two until we can draft a real #1 WR to play with A. Brown, who is already signed on as our #2 for the next 4 years.

defence 01-01-2013 02:44 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanda10506 (Post 1072955)
It's a no brainer and I don't see how Tomlin/Haley missed THAT TOO. Seems like this team is held back by no brainer decisions. Things like starting the correct RB, the correct WR's, punting to top punt returners, playing players that are too hurt to play, playing star players in pointless games like Week 17, etc. Stupid decisions hurt our team this year. Plax should have flew up the depth chart, not due to him being some Top 10 WR, but because our's can't catch shit and fumble when they do.

I'm not saying Plax is a long term solution, obviously he is not, but I'd be pretty nervous if he and Cotchery were gone and we only had the young money crew. The young money crew doesn't get open for Ben, they can't catch shit (except Brown) and they fumble constantly. So if the choice is between a fast guy who fumbles and drops it all the time or a 6'5 big target veteran WR with SB experience and great route running, isn't the decision obvious? The counter argument is that we need to develop our young WR's, but by the time Plax got here this year, Wallace had already proven he wasn't a #1 (if even a starter). He stunk it up all year and showed us nothing during the last half of last year. I would have even been in favor of starting Sanders over Wallace to see if Brown and Sanders could be a truly good #1/#2 combo, but he shit the bed too.

Let Wallace walk, let Sanders walk if he's looking for much money, and keep the vets around another year or two until we can draft a real #1 WR to play with A. Brown, who is already signed on as our #2 for the next 4 years.

Very well said. I've been telling all my steeler friends that the wr position was a big problem this year and to let Plax walk would be a huge mistake. You are bang on regarding Wallace and Sanders. I wouldn't be surprised if the steelers took a wr in the high rounds or even look at a free agent. Honestly; I expect them to address this position.

ETL 01-01-2013 02:48 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
It is simply amazing how smart you sound with 20:20 hindsight!

Neil-Still-Rules-14 01-01-2013 03:42 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
It isn't 20/20 hindsight. There is no doubt Burress should have at least been in uniform against the Cowboys and Bengals. I knew that the second I read the inactives list.

ETL 01-01-2013 03:53 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 (Post 1072973)
It isn't 20/20 hindsight. There is no doubt Burress should have at least been in uniform against the Cowboys and Bengals. I knew that the second I read the inactives list.

I find it very hard to believe that Plexico held the key to victory and to be so focused on a has-been WR is just .... so childish

Twentyvalve 01-01-2013 04:13 PM

Re: Imagine that, Plax contributing to win
 
I don't think he is the key to victory. He is an ingredient to a formula - an ingredient the Steelers sorely miss. I don't think the issue is that it is Plex, just the fact that he is a huge receiver who can make catches, especially in the end zone. The last game proved he could contribute, and guess what, they won!

What does this team need with yet another speedy, stone-handed 5' 11" 195 lb. receiver anyway? We have enough of those. We need a large, physical WR and another TE to complement Miller.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ETL (Post 1072975)
I find it very hard to believe that Plexico held the key to victory and to be so focused on a has-been WR is just .... so childish



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum