Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Top seventeen (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95572)

teegre 01-02-2013 12:50 AM

Top seventeen
 
The Steelers hold the 17th pick. I know that QBs and WRs will creep higher in the draft than they really should; so, there will be five "skill" position guys that sneak into the top 17… which will push 12 other players that the Steelers want right down towards them… in other words, leaving plenty of options for the Steelers. Please, post your "top 17" players. And, of course, please highlight:

a) which player who you hope makes a "DeCastro type of drop"
b) which player you REALLY want (realistically)
c) which player is most "likely" to be the actual pick.

Will go, but not for Steelers:
1. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
4. Mike Glennon, QB, NC St.
5. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

Possible Steelers picks:
6. Manti Te'o, ILB, ND (A - hope he drops)
7. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
8. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
10. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
11. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
12. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
13. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
14. Kenny Vaccaro, SS, Texas (C - I think that he will be the actual pick)
15. Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU


"Could" be the pick, depending on The Colon (& whether Gilbert switches to LG and/or if Starks returns):
16. Chance Warmack, LG, Alabama
17. Luke Joekel, LT, Texas A&M
18. Tyler Lewan, LT, Michigan
19. Barrett Jones, LT/LG, Alabama

It might be a tad high, but I really want:
20. Matt Elam, SS, Florida (B - I really want this kid to be a Steeler)

kan_t 01-02-2013 01:21 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
a) Manti Te'o
b) Dion Jordan/ Barkevious Mingo
c) Dion Jordan/ Barkevious Mingo

I don't think Te'o will drop to Steelers' reachable range. You still need to give up a lot in order to move from 17th to 10th-12th range and I doubt the Steelers will do it. There is no mid-first round S talent this year so unless they trade down, I think they will pick a OLB. I don't know which OLB they like but it seems that Jordan and Mingo suit to the LeBeau's scheme the best and both would be a value pick at 17th. I'm happy if they do pick one of them.

kan_t 01-02-2013 01:43 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1073125)
It might be a tad high, but I really want:
20. Matt Elam, SS, Florida (B - I really want this kid to be a Steeler)

I think there is a chance that he falls to 2nd round. If he does then I want the Steelers to trade up and grab him.

teegre 01-02-2013 01:45 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kan_t (Post 1073133)
I think there is a chance that he falls to 2nd round. If he does then I want the Steelers to trade up and grab him.

That would be a-maz-ing!!! I would trade the R3 pick to get him at the top of R2.

My ultimate draft would be:
R1 - Te'o
R2 - Elam

Everything else is just icing.

WokeUpWithaWoodley 01-02-2013 01:52 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Elam hasn't declared yet and reports say he won't.
If teo is around at the 12th pick I could see us trading up.
The thing about this draft is that there's a few players that would fit the scheme and need of the Steelers that are top 10 picks and others that are in the 22-32 range. So it looks like it will be a year to trade up or down. Most tines I would be against trading down but since there will be quality players in rounds 2-3 I wouldn't mind trading down selecting vaccaro and picking up two bpa in round 2

OX1947 01-02-2013 01:59 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Clowney and Timmons in the middle with Spence as the 5th linebacker in certain packages. I may have just jizzed in my pants thinking about that.

kan_t 01-02-2013 02:24 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley (Post 1073135)
Elam hasn't declared yet and reports say he won't.
If teo is around at the 12th pick I could see us trading up.
The thing about this draft is that there's a few players that would fit the scheme and need of the Steelers that are top 10 picks and others that are in the 22-32 range. So it looks like it will be a year to trade up or down. Most tines I would be against trading down but since there will be quality players in rounds 2-3 I wouldn't mind trading down selecting vaccaro and picking up two bpa in round 2

I think Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo both would fit the scheme and are in the 10-20 range.

WokeUpWithaWoodley 01-02-2013 03:14 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kan_t (Post 1073137)
I think Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo both would fit the scheme and are in the 10-20 range.

Mingo needs to show he has the strength to hold his own against nfl lineman and for someone who is value that high he only had 5.5 sacks. As far as Jordan I think he's a reach in the range his value went up because of the success jpp and aldon smith had ie what Chandler Jones was last year.

kan_t 01-02-2013 03:42 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley (Post 1073143)
Mingo needs to show he has the strength to hold his own against nfl lineman and for someone who is value that high he only had 5.5 sacks. As far as Jordan I think he's a reach in the range his value went up because of the success jpp and aldon smith had ie what Chandler Jones was last year.

The number of sack is a bit misleading to Mingo's case IMO. He still generated lots of QB pressure and helped to make plays. His ceiling is off the limit and I hope the Steelers take a chance on him. Your mention of JPP and Aldon Smith is valid but I don't think Jordan is a reach at mid-first round. If everything goes right, I think he's as good as JPP and Aldon Smith. Also he's a well rounded OLB instead of a pure pass rusher. That would fit in LeBeau's scheme perfectly.

Rick5895 01-02-2013 03:46 AM

Re: Top seventeen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OX1947 (Post 1073136)
Clowney and Timmons in the middle with Spence as the 5th linebacker in certain packages. I may have just jizzed in my pants thinking about that.

Clowney still has to go back for 1 more year. I doubt we will have a top 5 pick in 2014 to get him, if he declares after his junior season because that is certainly where he will go.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum