Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ben admits he rushed back too soon (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95580)

Hawaii 5-0 01-02-2013 04:01 PM

Ben admits he rushed back too soon

Roethlisberger admits he rushed back

2/31/12
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

It was only a week ago when the hot topic was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his inability to bring back the Steelers late in games. I speculated that one explanation was Roethlisberger's health, and he essentially acknowledged Sunday that he rushed back from his rib and shoulder injuries.

After Sunday's regular-season finale, Roethlisberger initially told reporters that he was fine. Then, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Roethlisberger said, "I don't know if I'm healthy enough to go" to the Pro Bowl. He is currently a second alternate.

Roethlisberger injured his rib and shoulder on Nov. 12 against Kansas City and returned after missing three games. He lost three of four starts upon coming back and threw two costly interceptions late in losses to Dallas and Cincinnati.

Asked about his immediate goal, Roethlisberger said, "Just get healthy first and foremost. I already started to formulate a plan with [conditioning coach] Garrett Giemont to get my body better and ready to go."

Roethlisberger was sacked 30 times in 13 games this season, an average of 2.3 per game. That's slightly down from last season when he was sacked 2.6 times per game (40 in 15 games).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...he-rushed-back

Gnutella 01-02-2013 04:06 PM

Re: Ben admits he rushed back too soon

This is another reason why the Steelers need a good, young backup QB, so they don't have to rush Ben back if he gets injured.

The_Joker 01-02-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 (Post 1073381)
Roethlisberger admits he rushed back

2/31/12
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

It was only a week ago when the hot topic was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his inability to bring back the Steelers late in games. I speculated that one explanation was Roethlisberger's health, and he essentially acknowledged Sunday that he rushed back from his rib and shoulder injuries.

After Sunday's regular-season finale, Roethlisberger initially told reporters that he was fine. Then, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Roethlisberger said, "I don't know if I'm healthy enough to go" to the Pro Bowl. He is currently a second alternate.

Roethlisberger injured his rib and shoulder on Nov. 12 against Kansas City and returned after missing three games. He lost three of four starts upon coming back and threw two costly interceptions late in losses to Dallas and Cincinnati.

Asked about his immediate goal, Roethlisberger said, "Just get healthy first and foremost. I already started to formulate a plan with [conditioning coach] Garrett Giemont to get my body better and ready to go."

Roethlisberger was sacked 30 times in 13 games this season, an average of 2.3 per game. That's slightly down from last season when he was sacked 2.6 times per game (40 in 15 games).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...he-rushed-back

Ben... :banging:

Fire Haley 01-02-2013 04:13 PM

Hensley is a former Ravens hack, his speculation doesn't mean jack

hey, that rhymed

Edman 01-02-2013 04:18 PM

Nope. Not buying it.

Injuries don't cause pick sixes or bad decisions. Your shoulder was hurt, not your brain. The issue here Ben is that you fucked up and you want to cover it up with the "I came back too soon" excuse. No, the issue isn't injury. You wanted to prove you were smarter than everyone, including "Know-Nothing" Haley and it ended up biting you in the ass.

His shoulder looked alright forcing the ball to a triple-covered Mike Wallace in Dallas resulting in losing the game, or misfiring down the field all over the place against Cincinnati. His athleticism looked okay getting happy feet against San Diego.

GoFor7 01-02-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 1073394)
Nope. Not buying it.

Last year was too soon, but I'm not buying the "injury" excuse this year.

No. Injuries don't cause pick sixes or bad decisions. Your shoulder was hurt, not your brain. The issue here Ben is that you fucked up and you want to cover it up with the "I came back too soon" excuse. No, the issue isn't injury. You wanted to prove you were smarter than the Steelers and it bit you in the ass.

His shoulder looked alright forcing the ball to a triple-covered Mike Wallace in Dallas resulting in losing the game, or misfiring down the field all over the place against Cincinnati. His athleticism looked okay getting happy feet against San Diego.

Triple coverage? Yo, it was single coverage. The Dallas DB made a play on the ball and it paid off.

And Ben probably is smarter than the OC that never won anything or the owner that never played a down of football in his life.

austinfrench76 01-02-2013 04:29 PM

I agree COMPLETELY with Edman. The injury doesn't effect your decision making. Those were poor decisions and that's what killed us. If I remember, he made some other big throws, big plays in those games as well so it's not that he lost velocity or arm strength either. Poor play, by him. Damn it!

fansince'76 01-02-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Yep, that's certainly the same as blaming injury for why he made those poor throws and not some third-rate hack putting words in his mouth or anything. Don't see how I coulda missed it. :rolleyes:

But hey, any excuse to pile on some more, huh?

Gnutella 01-02-2013 04:38 PM

The injury can affect your decision-making if your accuracy deteriorates and your WRs aren't getting open as often as before, leading to frustration and forced throws.

Hell, Peyton Manning was frustrated as hell during the 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff against the Steelers. He started forcing throws, as evidenced by the INT to Troy Polamalu that was wrongly overturned, misreading the defense, as evidenced by the sack he took on fourth down at his own 2-yard line late in the game, and missing open receivers, as evidenced by his last pass attempt of the game, which fell incomplete after being underthrown downfield while he had a short option wide open in the left flat that could have helped the Colts move the chains.

Plain and simple, when QBs get frustrated, they fuck up, regardless of how good they are otherwise.

El-Gonzo Jackson 01-02-2013 04:48 PM

Nothing surprising. Guy was injured, but the best option the Steelers had. If he isnt injured, then he doesnt throw it as poorly and miss WR's as bad as he did.

You guys crying that it was all bad decisions....the ball he threw at Wallace that was picked off in OT was thrown badly behind Wallace and into the defenders arms. A good throw and its a completion.