Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   We do we always sign scrubs to the practice squad ('Futures'). (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95598)

RuHappy69 01-02-2013 06:14 PM

We do we always sign scrubs to the practice squad ('Futures').

Corners that are 5'-9" and run a 4.6, Olineman that are small and played for no name colleges.. It's basically cannon fodder.. Sure even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then like McClendon, Haselrig, Hoke, etc. but come on.. Go after guys that are big fast and athletic that may actually be able to come into camp next year and really compete and push guys on the roster harder.

harrison'samonster 01-02-2013 06:15 PM

Re: We do we always sign scrubs to the practice squad ('Futures').

Hoke was a monster with a work ethic better than most people could dream for. We didn't find him. Hoke found the Steelers!

SteelersCanada 01-02-2013 06:28 PM

Can someone explain to me the excessive use of the blind squirrel and nut thing? We get it. This is like the fifth thread I've seen it in this week. Is there no other expression we can use? I don't know, maybe I'm just upset after reading why we should get rid of Roethlisberger in another thread.

Anyway, they're just used for competition purposes in Latrobe. If one so happens to be worth anything it's a bonus. You're reading too much into it.

Fire Arians 01-02-2013 06:40 PM

ALL teams do this. talent scouts gotta earn their cash. sure most are duds but that's to be expected with most who sign futures contracts. if you manage to land a real talent like some of those names you mentioned, it's getting a steal

tanda10506 01-02-2013 07:02 PM

Cause the guys that are floating around that will fit into our salary cap are not that good, which is why they are floating around and cheap in the first place. I agree it's frustrating to open a thread about players that we signed, only to see names like "Joe Whoever", but all the money is wrapped up with guys we drafted. Every now and then you find a James Harrison that is somehow still floating around, but if a player was just cut by a team that is not even as good as we are, then it's not likely.

We've done a decent job at grabbing WR's for cheap lately. I know that some don't think Cotchery serves a purpose on this team and that Plax isn't a solution to anything, but at least they can catch the ball and hang on to it. Running routes, making catch's, securing the ball, etc. are more important then pure speed, and we were able to pick both of them up for cheap. IMO they both came WELL under priced, which is another sign that the FO knows how to negotiate.

VaDave 01-02-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1073484)
Can someone explain to me the excessive use of the blind squirrel and nut thing? We get it. This is like the fifth thread I've seen it in this week. Is there no other expression we can use? I don't know, maybe I'm just upset after reading why we should get rid of Roethlisberger in another thread.

Anyway, they're just used for competition purposes in Latrobe. If one so happens to be worth anything it's a bonus. You're reading too much into it.

You mean something like " A blind hog will find an acorn once in a while"????

Hawaii 5-0 01-02-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaDave (Post 1073520)
You mean something like " A blind hog will find an acorn once in a while"????

good one! :chuckle:

bornaSteelersfan 01-02-2013 10:57 PM

"A deaf songbird will get laid occasionally"

Hawaii 5-0 01-02-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan (Post 1073542)

true, but by whom?

http://www.thearchnemesis.com/images/emu.jpg

teegre 01-02-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan (Post 1073542)

How about this one:
"Even a Ravens coach gets a Gatorade bath every once in a while... just not in the post-season."