Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tired of Being in Cap Hell Every Year (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95674)

Steelers5895 01-06-2013 03:24 PM

Tired of Being in Cap Hell Every Year

The more I think about it, we may be entering a dark stretch in Steelers History. Once again we enter an off- season with no cap room.

Though the Steelers have never been big spenders, their recent draft failures and compounding the failures by signing those players to long term deals, I am not sure how we are going to replenish this roster with talent.

We have no roster flexibility this off season. We have declining players with high salaries and no one to fill the voids on the roster. No money to get a player and a closing window to let draft picks develop.

We missed on Hood, Heyward, Worlids and numerous others which hurts depth, requires us to have to play declining older players like Hampton, Keisel, Woodley and Harrison.

This off season will be a big challaneg and we cant miss at 17.

The_Joker 01-06-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Tired of Being in Cap Hell Every Year

Boo hoo we suck we will be 4-12

There did it for you people

Hawaii 5-0 01-06-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackjack (Post 1074546)
Boo hoo we suck we will be 4-12

There did it for you people

thanks, glad we got that out of the way and settled once and for all...:drink: :wink02:

lloydwoodson 01-06-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelers5895 (Post 1074544)
We have no roster flexibility this off season. We have declining players with high salaries and no one to fill the voids on the roster. No money to get a player and a closing window to let draft picks develop.

We missed on Hood, Heyward, Worlids and numerous others which hurts depth, requires us to have to play declining older players like Hampton, Keisel, Woodley and Harrison.

This off season will be a big challaneg and we cant miss at 17.

Wow. Just wow. First off when have the Steelers missed with their first round pick?

Ziggy Hood and Rashard Mendenhall according to some of you.

Ziggy showed a lot of improvement this year. He made as many plays as Keisel on the other side. The DL on the 2nd best run defense in the NFL is the problem on the team? Really? Heyward put up half as many tackles as Keisel in under a quarter the amount of playing time and he is a 1st round bust??? The first year Heyward starts I want you to remember you called him a bust.

Worilds contributed 5 sacks in a backup role. He is a miss because he isn't starting over former DPOY Harrison? The Steelers do have the talent they just aren't playing it. Just like Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen sat behind Will Gay.

harrison'samonster 01-06-2013 03:45 PM

I don't understand why ppl are so down on Hood either. Mendenhall i'm not so sure of, but I'm happy w/ Hood. Worilds looks great when he comes in. Heyward made some strides through the season and I think he'll be ready to start if needed.

Steelers5895 01-06-2013 04:18 PM

I don't want to hear about a first round pick after 3 seasons that he is improved. On a third round pick that is acceptable but not a first. Heyward in year 2 couldn't displace a 35 year old lineman. Hood drafted as a dt couldn't make it so was moved outside.

As for worlids, I am not sure any of us will be thrilled if he was our starter. Mendy was serviceable but not as good as a lot of other 1st round backs. Sweed was a bust.

Other draft picks can't stay healthy and the fact we can't afford depth based on cap hell and missing in mid to late rounds, we are not getting better.

Sugar coat and overvalue our drafts of it makes you feel better but it takes too long for our picks to develop. It took Timmons to this season to be disruptive. Unacceptable. Development

steeltheone 01-06-2013 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=lloydwoodson;1074553]Wow. Just wow. First off when have the Steelers missed with their first round pick?

Ziggy Hood and Rashard Mendenhall according to some of you.

Ziggy showed a lot of improvement this year. He made as many plays as Keisel on the other side. The DL on the 2nd best run defense in the NFL is the problem on the team? Really? Heyward put up half as many tackles as Keisel in under a quarter the amount of playing time and he is a 1st round bust??? The first year Heyward starts I want you to remember you called him a bust.

Worilds contributed 5 sacks in a backup role. He is a miss because he isn't starting over former DPOY Harrison? The Steelers do have the talent they just aren't playing it. Just like Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen sat behind Will Gay.[/QUOTE Ziggy is a favorite bitch slap boy of the message boards and it does not seem fair. He has played just fine.

pittpete 01-06-2013 04:41 PM

Ziggy showed a lot of improvement this year?
Really don't know how that can be said from watching the games.
Remember the KC game?
The beginning of the year all teams did was run at Ziggy.
For a 1st round pick in his 3rd year he hasn't lived up to the pick IMO

steelerchad 01-06-2013 04:52 PM

They need to get back to the Steeler Way. You get old and aren't living up to your contract, you're gone. This includes Troy and Harrison. Mostly dead weight for the last 2 seasons. Either big pay cuts or be cut.

steeltheone 01-06-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittpete (Post 1074574)
Ziggy showed a lot of improvement this year?
Really don't know how that can be said from watching the games.
Remember the KC game?
The beginning of the year all teams did was run at Ziggy.
For a 1st round pick in his 3rd year he hasn't lived up to the pick IMO

The Defensive run game has been pretty consistent the last 7 years and Ziggy's stats are are identical to Keisel who makes 4X more. So im not sure you could say he has been run at or failed to perform.