Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why cut Hampton? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95694)

The_Joker 01-07-2013 04:53 PM

Why cut Hampton?

We run a 3-4, so we have two NT's. I can understand wanting to start McLendon, hell I'd pick him over Casey if we were running a 4-3, but why in god's name do you guys want a an unproven Ta'amu to start over the proven vet Hampton? Sure he's older, but he had a solid season once again. Thank you I want to keep him over McThug.

Also, if you want to cut Woodley/Keisel then you're just plain dumb.

Thanks have a nice day. :drink:

pittpete 01-07-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Why cut Hampton?

How do you cut a guy that isn't even signed?

El-Gonzo Jackson 01-07-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittpete (Post 1074878)
How do you cut a guy that isn't even signed?

Exactly!!

As to the OP, its called the salary cap. Do you pay 10+ year veterans that have had 3 ACL surgeries to take up 2 gaps and get yourself in "salary cap hell"...or do you use younger guys with upside to spend that $$ on??

As much as I am a fan of Hampton, its very likely that he is not signed and the team goes forward with McLendon and Ta'amu. (Fangopu also)

The_Joker 01-07-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 1074880)
Exactly!!

As to the OP, its called the salary cap. Do you pay 10+ year veterans that have had 3 ACL surgeries to take up 2 gaps and get yourself in "salary cap hell"...or do you use younger guys with upside to spend that $$ on??

As much as I am a fan of Hampton, its very likely that he is not signed and the team goes forward with McLendon and Ta'amu. (Fangopu also)

Again, Ta'amu had guess how many snaps this season... 0.

I'd sign Hampton if he is willing to go low anyway. If not, plug Hood in at DT. No way in hell do I want Ta'amu at starting DT yet!

Fire Arians 01-07-2013 05:17 PM

money

The_Joker 01-07-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1074887)
money

We'll be fine with money. Been here before.

SteelersCanada 01-07-2013 05:47 PM

I think it's easier than what you're making it out to be. The NT position has changed over the last few years and guys like McLendon can be big and athletic enough to generate pressure and still command double-teams. I think that's the most important part and in my opinion, he has outplayed Hampton every time he was on the field. He crashed and collapses offensive lines and on the flip side, Hampton has a few good snaps a game. He isn't worth the 2.5 million we'd pay him and he can take his services elsewhere.

I'd rather get a young Ta'amu snaps than an older Hampton that hasn't been generating constant pressure and/or double-teams for a couple years now.

LVSteelersfan 01-07-2013 06:10 PM

Hampton is done. Always hurt and doesn't play as well as he used to. Teams were constantly running the ball straight up the middle right down our throats. That never happened with Casey in his prime and Smith. People saying Woodley and Keisel need to go are slightly delusional though. They are going nowhere.

finesward 01-07-2013 06:11 PM

You would be crazy to cut woodley, being as he is just soooooo productive! What only 2 mil a sack? What a steal!

steeltheone 01-07-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finesward (Post 1074900)
You would be crazy to cut woodley, being as he is just soooooo productive! What only 2 mil a sack? What a steal!

We can't cut Woodley and we all know it.

I would be glad to have Casey back Cheap.

Keisel is the issue with his cap hit. Heyward needs to start anyhow!