Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pro Football Hall of Fame names finalists for class of 2013 - 2 Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95811)

Vis 01-11-2013 11:40 AM

Pro Football Hall of Fame names finalists for class of 2013 - 2 Steelers

<table><tbody><tr><td> Pro Football Hall of Fame names finalists for class of 2013

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="50px"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CC0000">
</td></tr><tr><td align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td valign="top">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td>Four first-year eligible nominees – Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, and Michael Strahan – are among the 15 modern-era finalists who will be considered for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame when the Hall’s Selection Committee meets in New Orleans, La. on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013.

Joining the first-year eligible, are eight other modern-era players, a coach and two contributors. The 15 modern-era finalists, along with the two senior nominees announced in August 2012 (former Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers defensive tackle Curley Culp and former Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins linebacker Dave Robinson) will be the only candidates considered for Hall of Fame election when the 46-member Selection Committee meets.

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.

The complete list of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee's 17 finalists for 2013: Larry Allen (G/T), Jerome Bettis (RB), Tim Brown (WR), Cris Carter (WR), Curley Culp (DT/G), Edward DeBartolo Jr. (owner), Kevin Greene (LB), Charles Haley (DE), Art Modell (owner), Jonathan Ogden (OT), Bill Parcells (coach), Andre Reed (WR), Dave Robinson (LB), Warren Sapp (DT), Will Shields (G), Michael Strahan (DE), Aeneas Williams (CB)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

OX1947 01-11-2013 11:59 AM

Re: Pro Football Hall of Fame names finalists for class of 2013 - 2 Steelers

Allen and Ogden are locks. Allen was the best guard of his generation. Odgen was the best LT of his era.

steelfury02 01-11-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vis (Post 1075979)
<table><tbody><tr><td> Pro Football Hall of Fame names finalists for class of 2013

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="50px"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CC0000">
</td></tr><tr><td align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td valign="top">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td>Four first-year eligible nominees – Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, and Michael Strahan – are among the 15 modern-era finalists who will be considered for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame when the Hall’s Selection Committee meets in New Orleans, La. on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013.

Joining the first-year eligible, are eight other modern-era players, a coach and two contributors. The 15 modern-era finalists, along with the two senior nominees announced in August 2012 (former Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers defensive tackle Curley Culp and former Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins linebacker Dave Robinson) will be the only candidates considered for Hall of Fame election when the 46-member Selection Committee meets.

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.

The complete list of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee's 17 finalists for 2013: Larry Allen (G/T), Jerome Bettis (RB), Tim Brown (WR), Cris Carter (WR), Curley Culp (DT/G), Edward DeBartolo Jr. (owner), Kevin Greene (LB), Charles Haley (DE), Art Modell (owner), Jonathan Ogden (OT), Bill Parcells (coach), Andre Reed (WR), Dave Robinson (LB), Warren Sapp (DT), Will Shields (G), Michael Strahan (DE), Aeneas Williams (CB)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Who needs to go in right now, IMO: Chris Carter, Larry Allen, Charles Haley, Jerome Bettis, Bill Parcels, On the fence: Will Shields or Eddy DeBartolo Jr or Kevin Greene - that is a really nice draft class IMO. The other guys can wait until next year or year after.

steelfury02 01-11-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OX1947 (Post 1075982)
Allen and Ogden are locks. Allen was the best guard of his generation. Odgen was the best LT of his era.

hmm, will be interesting - I think Ogden can wait 1 more year over top 5-10 RB of all time

EDIT: Andre Reed? Hey can wait a loooong while IMO. I better never see him in Canton first before Hines Ward. Of course, yards will trump winning the big one and what their leadership void meant for the team. Plus, Hines brings a uniqueness that most, if not any receivers have - blocking

TRH 01-11-2013 12:19 PM

unfortunately, i think the Steelers will be shut out this year.

There's just too many big names. In addition to some of the above posts - Strahan is adored by the media for some reason. He's a lock.
Don't write off Art Modell either. Even though he's remembered best for his moving a franchise in the dead of night, he did a TON for the sport, TV, and more.
Also, alot of the media is pushing Cris Carter as well.
Don't think we'll see a Steeler this year.............

harrison'samonster 01-11-2013 01:14 PM

I agree, Strahan is a media darling, I would be surprised if he isn't in.

torpedoshell31 01-11-2013 01:33 PM

The Bus gets in this year as he is the only back among the finalists. By the way I'm an old-timer and I remember both Dave Robinson and Curly Culp. If it was between the two of them, I would lean towards Culp, he was an absolute beast in the middle of the defensive line.

austinfrench76 01-11-2013 01:51 PM

I hope JB gets in this year! Not sure if Kevin Greene is really a Steeler. Didn't start OR finish his career here. He was only with us for 3 of his 15 years. But I'll take it if he gets in!

wwhickok 01-11-2013 01:54 PM

Bettis is going to get in as are Allen, Ogden, and Strahan. Im not so sure Kevin Greene gets in.

Stu Pidasso 01-11-2013 02:43 PM

All you have to do to find out who gets in is watch to see who commentates for the NFL Network. Seems like if you are on Total Access, you're in...