Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Two Possible TE Moves (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95895)

ms52737 01-15-2013 11:28 AM

Two Possible TE Moves

2013 UFA Kellen Winslow Jr.
Unsigned Free Agent Visanthe Shiancoe

I am a little worried with the problems in the past with Kellen Winslow, but he has produced.

With the loss of Heath, we could really use a good catch passing TE.

Shiancoe was a better blocker than Winslow at his time in Minnesota, although it was adequate at best. He did however put up large numbers with Favre.

I would much rather sign a free agent in the off season than use a draft pick on a TE when heath could be back mid way through next season, and play a solid 3-5 more years.

SteelersCanada 01-15-2013 12:34 PM

Re: Two Possible TE Moves

I agree. Grabbing Delanie Walker or Martellus Bennett in FA would make a lot more sense than drafting one. They won't command top dollar in free agency and fit our cap situation perfectly.

teegre 01-15-2013 01:12 PM

A good, but cheap, free agent would be optimal.

IF a TE were to be drafted, I would prefer Gavin Escobar (SDSU). He plays a LOT like Aaron Hernandez. He was the only weapon on a poor team. If he's there in R4, then maybe... but, I see other needs (other wants). In fact, if I'm taking an Aztec, the "steal of the draft" could be Leon McFadden (CB).

cbrunn 01-15-2013 02:28 PM

I really like Michael Williams from Bama R5 or 6

a beast Run blocker , and he's athletic so could be more of an offense weapon than people think. It's just at Bama he was asked to block block block , which he did extremely well

sloppyjoe 01-15-2013 03:04 PM

bring the solja in. we need more underachieving POS on this team

mikegrimey 01-15-2013 03:38 PM

Who think Leonard Pope is going to cut it? Hihihi

ms52737 01-15-2013 07:09 PM

I'm a huge Leonard Pope Fan. I thought he was gonna solidify the TE position and be an easy 40 catch TE, even with hayleys system.

Pope didn't really beet out Paulson for snaps in the game, and Paulsons blocking is dreadful. That is saying something.

austinfrench76 01-15-2013 09:45 PM

Man, Shiancoe or Winslow would be awesome! I have been saying that I think our Offense would be amazing with 2 dominant TE's ie New England! Let's get it done!

LayingTheWoodley56 01-16-2013 10:56 AM

Is there any chance Heath will be ready in time for opening day? I haven't heard anything about it. Hopefully he will be able to return by midseason at least.

I think it said something that Paulsen saw signficant snaps this season as a 7th-round pick, but I have my doubts that he'll be able to hold down the starting job. I would welcome Winslow as a temporary replacement for Heath, in tandem with Paulsen.

kan_t 01-16-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrunn (Post 1077543)
I really like Michael Williams from Bama R5 or 6

a beast Run blocker , and he's athletic so could be more of an offense weapon than people think. It's just at Bama he was asked to block block block , which he did extremely well

I agree. He has shown that he can catch the ball in his final year and he's always an excellent blocker. I'm happy if the Steelers pick him in late rounds.