Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   3-4 to a 4-3? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95999)

WokeUpWithaWoodley 01-19-2013 05:02 AM

3-4 to a 4-3?

Here's a good article about the possibility to switch to a 4-3
http://steelblitz.com/should-the-ste...479/2013/01/18

Although I love the 3-4 defense and love having 4 linebackers on the field I'd have to say I wouldn't be mad if they made the switch.

We have the players for it and it would perhaps cut down on some team needs like linebacker and nt ( I don't think it's a need but some people do ) like the article states we would have heyward hood McClendon and Woodley on the line witha combination of Timmons spence and worlids or slyvester.

Most of these players if it all played in a 4-3 in college. Woodley at end heyward at end hood was a very good dt in 4-3. Timmons was a outside linebacker in a 4-3 and spence was a very good middle linebacker in a 4-3. I don't know if this was planned to eventually switch once key guys left cause of age but it looks like a very good defense playing in a 4-3

Hood and heyward are still learning the 3-4 but look uncomfortable playing it and would do much better in a 4-3 especially hood. Maybe Woodley put o weight to make the switch but it would allow him to rush every down and not cover.

With Timmons and spence and whoever else we would have a ton of speed on the linebackers.

Maybe it's time maybe not. Any thoughts.

Kingmagyar 01-19-2013 08:03 AM

Re: 3-4 to a 4-3?

Always thought about a switch to a 4-3 but there are some credibility issues with how it is laid out in the article.

For one Jason Worilds was a DE in college and would play there in a 4-3 defense. In no way is he up for the almost constant pass coverage required of a 4-3 OLB.

Timmons however did in fact play ouside in a 4-3 and would be a perfect fit there.

Woodley also would fit perfectly in a 4-3 and would excell more there pass rushing all the time. We would still need a probable upgrade at the other DE unless Worilds could excell there too.

Heyward did not play end in a 4-3 at Ohio State but a 3-4 most of the time. He would not be what you want in a 4-3 end. (Think Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis etc.) So that leaves Heyward, Hood, McClendon, Ta'amu, on the inside with Hood being the best of the lot.

Spence I thought was a OLB at Miami then maybe moved inside. It is very debatable his ability to be the man in a 4-3 defense and the inside linebacker does need to be the man. So a likely draft upgrade there would likely be needed.

So a good 4-3 end, a tall lanky coverage OLB, and a really good ILB really is what is currently preventing this team from switching to a 4-3. I personally would like to see a hybrid where both can be played week to week and even in game if possible. The Steelers do a little of that now and the Patriots did a lot of it when they were cheating (I mean winning) Super Bowls.

Also teams playing 4-3 must really stockpile those Defensive Lineman and be two deep accross the board meaning less linebackers and less viable special team players to make tackles. The trouble is if Woodley is injured say for the year there really is no viable replacement for him on the roster. Free agent signings and lots of drafting would be needed to create that depth.

However being a number one defense last year may make the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" the Steelers way of thinking.

FrancoLambert 01-19-2013 09:36 AM

The 3-4 is becoming a dinosaur. Soon to be extinct.
Can't generate enough of a push from a 3 man line in today's NFL which is a necessity.
You need pass rushing machines with relentless motors.
How to deal with exotic blitzes from 3-4 linebackers has been pretty much figured out.

pete74 01-19-2013 10:26 AM

Actually the 3-4 is becoming more popular but personally I like the 4-3.i like the way the giants played it last year rushing only your four lineman most times. Regardless of your type of defense without the proper players and defensive coordinator you won't excel. I prefer the 4-3 because our 4 lineman can rush instead of holding up offensive lineman for the linebackers

SteelersCanada 01-19-2013 10:43 AM

We'd have to draft a completely new defensive line. Heyward, Hood and McLendon don't have the speed or pass rushing ability to generate interior and outside-the-tackles pressure that would be required. I'm seeing some guys saying they like the Giants and their defensive scheme which is a great one, I'll acknowledge that. But, you have to look at who's on their roster, too.

Their line is anchored by JPP and Justin Tuck. JPP is an absolute freak and probably the best 4-3 DLinemen in the NFL. Our guys just aren't fast enough or possess the right skillset for us to make the switch. If we're going to change, we'd have to draft Jordan or Mingo in the first round, and then someone like Montgomery in the second and revamp our defensive throughout the draft. We could throw Woodley and Worilds on the line as well, but then we're seriously lacking at LB.

If we transition, we'd have to go...

Jordan - Heyward / Hood (DT? They're too small) - McLendon (can he generate pressure at DT?) - Woodley

and we have problems. First and foremost, who's playing DT? If we do end up drafting Jordan and Montgomery, then we're playing an attacking 4-3 which I guess could work, but he's small to play in the interior. It could work, but it'd be pressing it a little bit. I do like the idea of Woodley and Jordan being edge rushers, though, and I think that would work beautifully.

If we were to transition to the 4-3, our draft would have to look something like ...

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. John Jenkins / Kawann Short
R3. Nico Johnson
R4. Robert Lester
R5. William Gholston

and that's best case scenario. A couple things you look at there, no WRs or RBs.

This isn't the year to transition to a 4-3. When LeBeau leaves and we bring in another defensive mind, maybe, but there's too many other holes to fill on this roster and ultimately, we don't have the guys to play a 4-3. Heyward and Hood don't possess the skillset to play in a 4-3 as they lack speed and true pass rushing ability.

I'd love to transition to it in 2014 but that transition would have to start this year. Drafting Dion Jordan and a legitimate DT to play in a 4-3 would be required in this draft while picking up another DT to play in the interior as well either in the draft or free agency. I do like the idea of it though.

El-Gonzo Jackson 01-19-2013 11:05 AM

This thread has been coming up every year for the past 10 years on Steeler fan message boards. Believe it when I see it. Something tells me if LeBeau retires and Butler takes over......it still stays a 3-4.

VaDave 01-19-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1078731)
We'd have to draft a completely new defensive line. Heyward, Hood and McLendon don't have the speed or pass rushing ability to generate interior and outside-the-tackles pressure that would be required. I'm seeing some guys saying they like the Giants and their defensive scheme which is a great one, I'll acknowledge that. But, you have to look at who's on their roster, too.

Their line is anchored by JPP and Justin Tuck. JPP is an absolute freak and probably the best 4-3 DLinemen in the NFL. Our guys just aren't fast enough or possess the right skillset for us to make the switch. If we're going to change, we'd have to draft Jordan or Mingo in the first round, and then someone like Montgomery in the second and revamp our defensive throughout the draft. We could throw Woodley and Worilds on the line as well, but then we're seriously lacking at LB.

If we transition, we'd have to go...

Jordan - Heyward / Hood (DT? They're too small) - McLendon (can he generate pressure at DT?) - Woodley

and we have problems. First and foremost, who's playing DT? If we do end up drafting Jordan and Montgomery, then we're playing an attacking 4-3 which I guess could work, but he's small to play in the interior. It could work, but it'd be pressing it a little bit. I do like the idea of Woodley and Jordan being edge rushers, though, and I think that would work beautifully.

If we were to transition to the 4-3, our draft would have to look something like ...

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. John Jenkins / Kawann Short
R3. Nico Johnson
R4. Robert Lester
R5. William Gholston

and that's best case scenario. A couple things you look at there, no WRs or RBs.

This isn't the year to transition to a 4-3. When LeBeau leaves and we bring in another defensive mind, maybe, but there's too many other holes to fill on this roster and ultimately, we don't have the guys to play a 4-3. Heyward and Hood don't possess the skillset to play in a 4-3 as they lack speed and true pass rushing ability.

I'd love to transition to it in 2014 but that transition would have to start this year. Drafting Dion Jordan and a legitimate DT to play in a 4-3 would be required in this draft while picking up another DT to play in the interior as well either in the draft or free agency. I do like the idea of it though.

Just asking but didn't our crap OLINE rip that all powerful Giant DL a new one?

Hawaii 5-0 01-19-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 1078733)
This thread has been coming up every year for the past 10 years on Steeler fan message boards. Believe it when I see it. Something tells me if LeBeau retires and Butler takes over......it still stays a 3-4.

I'm pretty sure that as long as the architect of the 3-4 defense is still the DC of our team that we'll be running the 3-4 defense...

kan_t 01-19-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 (Post 1078745)
I'm pretty sure that as long as the architect of the 3-4 defense is still the DC of our team that we'll be running the 3-4 defense...

And if Butler becomes his successor (which is likely the case), the team will still be running the 3-4 defense.

desertsteel 01-19-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaDave (Post 1078744)
Just asking but didn't our crap OLINE rip that all powerful Giant DL a new one?

Lol