Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mike Smith in Atlanta (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96062)

mikegrimey 01-21-2013 03:11 PM

Mike Smith in Atlanta

Should he be on a warm seat?

His team has been regular season strong (11-5, 9-7, 14-2, 11-5, 13-3) but blow it in the playoffs. If it wasn't for some Marvin lewisesque game management from Pete Carroll and last second heroics from Matt Ryan his team would be 0 for the playoffs. They were less than a couple bounces away from losing to Seattle after chucking up a 20 point lead, and blew a 17 pointer the very next week. Of they'd lost to Seattle he'd definitely be on the hot seat, but was the "win" really convincing enough to give him insurance, I don't think so.

harrison'samonster 01-21-2013 03:18 PM

Re: Mike Smith in Atlanta

as long as they are winning, I'd find it hard to think he should be on the hot seat. I do like the term "warm seat."

Remember though, Atlanta went how many seasons without back-to-back winning seasons.

TRH 01-21-2013 03:19 PM

he'll be fine for now. Now if the Falcons have a sub-par season next year, he'll then be on the hot seat.

Atlanta Dan 01-21-2013 06:44 PM

Falcons had never had back to back winning seasons until Smith arrived

Smith's teams have made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, made number one seed twice,and won a playoff game this year - Smith is on the hot seat as much as Cowher was after finally winning a playoff game and then blowing the 1994 AFC championship to San Diego. In other words, he is not on the hot or warm seat

mikegrimey 01-21-2013 07:07 PM

There's no question that he's fielded an impressive team every year he's been there... in the regular season. But the Falcon are atrocious in the playoffs, even their win this year wasn't impressive, they were a missed kick, a dropped pass, a seattle FG (1 of 2 possible attempts in the first half) of being one and done again. Had they lost that game, everyone would be down Smith's throat.

Cowher won his first playoff game in his second year as a head coach. This next season will be Smith's 6th. Cowher also had journeyman or slash running his offense for most of his years. Smith has had a No. 3 overall pick since day 1.

I'm not saying he should be fired, but is racking up wins in the regular season while flopping in the playoffs going to keep being acceptable? I think you all have a good point, the fact that the Falcons never had back to back winning seasons before Smith might give him a bit more security, but if you're running that organization and seen 5 years of the same routine (good play in the regular season while choking in the postseason, minus the year they missed the playoffs) wouldn't you be angling to make a change?

The Falcons are stacked on offense, I'm not sure who's to blame for the frequent playoff flops, but I think Mike Smith's seat should be just a little warm because of it.

zcoop 01-21-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1079753)
Falcons had never had back to back winning seasons until Smith arrived

Smith's teams have made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, made number one seed twice,and won a playoff game this year - Smith is on the hot seat as much as Cowher was after finally winning a playoff game and then blowing the 1994 AFC championship to San Diego. In other words, he is not on the hot or warm seat

Exactly, Atl fans are just happy to make it consistently to the playoffs. Smith ain't going nowhere.

Atlanta Dan 01-21-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcoop (Post 1079762)
Exactly, Atl fans are just happy to make it consistently to the playoffs. Smith ain't going nowhere.

Yep - I recognize the expectations are a little higher on a site for a team that has played in 15 confeence champiosnhip games and 8 Super Bowls - after being horrible forver the expectations are a little lower in Atlanta

BlaZeQuietly 01-22-2013 11:59 PM

I think he will be fine. The falcons are a weird team though, they have 3 really good seasons, but never really seem to be that dominating of a team, even this year when they were undefeated I knew they were not superbowl caliber. Somethings missing, its not Smith's fault. Roddy White and Julio Jones are money, Mike Turner is a very solid back, and Matt Ryan is arguably the second best QB in the NFC (next to Rogers). I guess they just don't have that type of defense that can really hold teams late in games, yeah... I guess thats their problem. lol :noidea:

lloydwoodson 01-23-2013 01:00 AM

I was surprised how nonchalant Smith seemed in his press conference. He seemed completely unaffected by missing the superbowl by such a narrow margin. Coaches who keep an even keel are usually competitive year after year but it was a really strange reaction to my eyes. I would think most competitive people would be devestated.

mikegrimey 01-26-2013 09:45 AM

I was by no means suggesting Smith should be fired

warm seat is not a hot seat

but I think he should be on notice that dominating the regular season and flopping in the playoffs won't be acceptable anymore. Their sole playoff victory under him was inches away from being an epic meltdown, and then the next week they completed the trick! Perhaps it is the defense because that offense is pretty stacked.