Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Angle on Analyzing the Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96074)

thethinkingguy 01-21-2013 08:56 PM

New Angle on Analyzing the Steelers

All, my partner and I feel there is a dearth of quantitative analysis being applied to the Steelers. Thus, we've founded the site: http://www.steelcitystats.com.

I encourage you to check out our first article, entitled "Why did the Steelers Miss the 2013 Playoffs?"

We use basic statistical analysis and some intermediate methods to obtain which variables (e.g., passer rating) are important to predicting why teams have won or lost games. No data analysis can provide a 100% accurate conclusion, but I think you'll see that the data speaks for itself.

If you like it, please forward it to friends and family. If you don't like it, please let us know what we can do better.

Hawaii 5-0 01-21-2013 09:20 PM

Re: New Angle on Analyzing the Steelers

great stuff, thank you! :drink:

ZoneBlitzer 01-22-2013 04:22 AM

Ew. Sorry I took one look at the dude with naked beer gut and tats of Steelers on it and lost my appetite for the article. I'm a fan of the team and all but there's no way I'm going to emblazon their faces on me like Mt. Rushmore. That's a little weird. It's like aging sports fan meets Tiger Beat Teen magazine.

pete74 01-22-2013 04:30 AM

Good read

VaDave 01-22-2013 05:14 AM

YEE GADS!! Thank you for a classic example of why I flunked statistics in college.

BTW, That sure took all the fun out of wailing and gnashing of teeth......

NateDog07V 01-22-2013 12:03 PM

Awesome read.... keep it up !

JVip 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

good article...

Riddle_Of_Steel 01-22-2013 08:29 PM

So....being the usual skeptic that I am....I am wondering where the 2011 Chargers, who finished with the #1 offense and #1 defense, yet finished 8-8 fit into this analysis.

How do those two losses to JAX in 2007 happen? David Gerrard was terrible in both games, if memory serves, and we lost because MJD and FT ran for a combned 250+ yards on us in the first game, and ran well against us in the wildcard game as well. According to the statistical analysis, the running game is NOT a factor in wins-- only passer ratng and turnovers.

NSMaster56 01-22-2013 08:30 PM

GREAT article.

Only nit to pick is this:

Quote:

To reiterate, Pittsburgh lost the division because of poor QB play and poor passing defense in the three division games they lost.
While your analytics 'prove' your statement, it's more apt that Pittsburgh lost the division because of turnovers and Special Teams play in the three division games they lost (Punt Return TD vs. BAL, 7 TO's vs. CLE and pick-six vs. CIN).

It would be interesting to see the stats based on your model for all 32 teams.

GREAT stuff.

Riddle_Of_Steel 01-22-2013 08:31 PM

Great article anyhow-- I just like to poke holes in statistical studies like this, because I am convinced that you cannot determine outcomes from simple statistical correlation.

If you could, don't you think the owners would be more interested? Imagine how much the "winning algorithmn" would be worth to the right people...?