Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Amos Jones a Cardinal? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96151)

stiller39 01-24-2013 06:18 PM

Amos Jones a Cardinal?

Rumor has it that Amos Jones was hired by The Steelers West as a special teams coach. Anyone have anymore on this?:tt04:

fer522 01-24-2013 06:40 PM

Re: Amos Jones a Cardinal?

this is what i found.............................

Report: Cardinals To Hire Amos Jones As Special Teams Coach?
Thursday, January 24th, 2013 at 2:46 pm by Dave Bryan

Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 Radio in Arizona is reporting Thursday on Twitter that he has heard that former Pittsburgh Steelers special teams coach Amos Jones will be the new special teams coach for the Arizona Cardinals.

Hearing former #Steeler coach Amos Jones will be the new Special Teams coach for the #Cardinals. #xtra910

— Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki) January 24, 2013

Former? This is the first time that we have heard that term used in relation to Jones, who took over for Al Everest when the Steelers let him go prior to the start of the 2012 season. The Steelers special team units were horrible last season, but we have yet to hear that Jones has been fired or retired.

Keep your fingers crossed that this news is indeed true.

In somewhat related news, the Cardinals are also reportedly close to finalizing a deal with former Steelers defensive tackle Brentson Buckner to become their new defensive line coach. Buckner was a coaching intern on the Steelers defensive coaching staff from 2010-2012.

"It’s a big jump but I was blessed with the years of playing in the NFL, coaching high school kids and even the little time with the (indoor football team) Charlotte Speed has really helped me build everything together," Buckner said, via the Charlotte Observer. "In Pittsburgh, the coaches let me see what a coach’s life is. I was in every personnel meeting, breaking down film, putting down practice plans. They exposed to so much and it was just natural."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...l-teams-coach/

Hawaii 5-0 01-24-2013 06:47 PM

I'll be more than happy to help Amos Jones pack if he needs any help...

SteelersCanada 01-24-2013 06:50 PM

Bye, Amos. Thanks for the great Special Teams coordination you gave us this year, it was really top notch. Even though you had someone like Rainey and Brown returning punts and kickoffs, neither of them managed to get 1000 yards. But, really, thanks for all the big plays Amos.

Here's the door pal.

austinfrench76 01-24-2013 11:19 PM

^^^Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

Buddha Bus 01-25-2013 04:00 AM

In B.A.'s blind attempt at attacking and raiding the Steelers to hurt them, he has unwittingly helped them with addition through subtraction if true. Our special teams was atrocious this past season so this allows us an opportunity to move forward from a guy who couldn't get the job done that, otherwise, Tomlin might have allowed more time to prove himself out of loyalty.

Arians is really setting himself up for a rough run in Arizona with this decision and the decision to let Ray Horton walk as DC and replacing him with another suspect coach in Todd Bowles from Philly. In the immortal words of Flounder...

[YOUTUBE]arZdeg_fL-I[/YOUTUBE]

wwhickok 01-25-2013 04:34 AM

Good riddance Amos youre a terrible special teams coach

lloydwoodson 01-25-2013 05:22 AM

Steelers special teams wasn't ranked statistically as poorly as I would have thought.

14th in kickoff/punt coverage
9th in kick returns
28th in punt returns

There were a lot of holds on punt returns. Still, AB's return average was way down from last year. All in all only the punt return unit was terrible. Also, Sylvester and Spence were injured. Sylvester is an amazing special teamer and I have a feeling spence will be as well.

The special teams unit from 2007-09 was worse... ask Josh Cribbs.

harrison'samonster 01-25-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloydwoodson (Post 1080707)
Steelers special teams wasn't ranked statistically as poorly as I would have thought.

14th in kickoff/punt coverage
9th in kick returns
28th in punt returns

There were a lot of holds on punt returns. Still, AB's return average was way down from last year. All in all only the punt return unit was terrible. Also, Sylvester and Spence were injured. Sylvester is an amazing special teamer and I have a feeling spence will be as well.

The special teams unit from 2007-09 was worse... ask Josh Cribbs.

truthfully, when watching non-Steelers games I remember seeing a lot of penalties turning positive plays into negative plays, and I remember seeing several big mistakes on returns (the worst I can think of was Stefan Logan downing the ball at the 6 or 7 when he had room to run).

It got to the point with the Steelers though that a negative play on SP teams was expected.

FrancoLambert 01-25-2013 05:52 PM

Good news!
Our special teams play is bound to get better. Any change from what we've had is worth a shot.