Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   defense next year (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96159)

harrison'samonster 01-25-2013 11:47 AM

defense next year

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they play next year with Timmons, Polamalu, and possibly Spence starting and healthy. When is the last time we've had as much speed and talent in those three positions consistently throughout one season? Do you think it would be easy for an offense to create mismatches w/RB's and TE's?

If Worilds starts and Woodley gets back into form, we could have a good pass rush going on.

We all know that the linebackers and the SS (almost a 5th linebacker) are the key to our defense. And this group could potentially create the havoc, panic, and confusion we need to force mistakes and turnovers.

I'm not worried about next year but looking forward to it. We've got all the pieces, we just need to see them play up to their potential. There are a lot of questions, but they could possibly be a great combination.

StainlessStill 01-25-2013 11:54 AM

Re: defense next year

I'm not too optimistic of our ability to stay healthy. We shall see.

steelfury02 01-25-2013 12:24 PM

Troy's health

Woodley has a lot to do

Spence has potential but nothing proved yet

Lots of Qs for me to get excited

harrison'samonster 01-25-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 1080746)
Troy's health

Woodley has a lot to do

Spence has potential but nothing proved yet

Lots of Qs for me to get excited

I agree, health is a big issue and Spence has proven nothing. I guess that's partly why I am so excited.

SteelersCanada 01-25-2013 12:34 PM

I'm not sold on Spence at all and quite frankly, I think he was a wasted pick. He's fast and agile, granted, but he's small. He plays more like a SS than an ILB and I don't think his skillset is going to translate well into the NFL. While he has great intangibles and great awareness, I question his ability to make tackles or stuff the run against bigger Running Backs. He plays more like a 3rd-and-passing distance ILB that can cover TEs and slot WRs.

A third round pick on him was kind of high, especially considering who we could've taken with that pick. Guys like Hilton, Turbin and because there's been such a high demand for a Quarterback to back-up Roethlisberger, Cousins were still on the board when we chose Spence.

I feel like we're going to have to spend another third round pick on someone like Nico Johnson from Alabama to be our legitimate ILB to play alongside Timmons. They're going to have to consider moving Spence to FS or SS for him to have a legitimate shot at starting in the NFL because frankly, he's just too small.

WokeUpWithaWoodley 01-25-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1080748)
I'm not sold on Spence at all and quite frankly, I think he was a wasted pick. He's fast and agile, granted, but he's small. He plays more like a SS than an ILB and I don't think his skillset is going to translate well into the NFL. While he has great intangibles and great awareness, I question his ability to make tackles or stuff the run against bigger Running Backs. He plays more like a 3rd-and-passing distance ILB that can cover TEs and slot WRs.

A third round pick on him was kind of high, especially considering who we could've taken with that pick. Guys like Hilton, Turbin and because there's been such a high demand for a Quarterback to back-up Roethlisberger, Cousins were still on the board when we chose Spence.

I feel like we're going to have to spend another third round pick on someone like Nico Johnson from Alabama to be our legitimate ILB to play alongside Timmons. They're going to have to consider moving Spence to FS or SS for him to have a legitimate shot at starting in the NFL because frankly, he's just too small.

No way spence is a safety. Although I'm not sold on him either only because he had a redshirt year so to speak but he's listed on the steelers website as 231lbs, foote is listed as 239lbs and farrior when he played was 240 or less through the season. I'm sure with the strength training program, he will be around what foote is coming into training camp.

Like I said I'm not sold on him either that's just cause he hasn't played( I think he will contribute once he can show what he can do ), but don't say he's to small and that's why you don't think he can play.

Nico Johnson would not be the answer , he is terrible in coverage, good to stop the run but bad in coverage, and we all want someone next to Timmons that can cover to free Timmons from those responsibilities.

harrison'samonster 01-25-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley (Post 1080752)
No way spence is a safety. Although I'm not sold on him either only because he had a redshirt year so to speak but he's listed on the steelers website as 231lbs, foote is listed as 239lbs and farrior when he played was 240 or less through the season. I'm sure with the strength training program, he will be around what foote is coming into training camp.

Like I said I'm not sold on him either that's just cause he hasn't played( I think he will contribute once he can show what he can do ), but don't say he's to small and that's why you don't think he can play.

Nico Johnson would not be the answer , he is terrible in coverage, good to stop the run but bad in coverage, and we all want someone next to Timmons that can cover to free Timmons from those responsibilities.

That's a good point. Them working together as a unit is going to be the key. They''ll be able to be more creative and hopefully more aggressive leading to turnovers.

maddog78 01-25-2013 01:18 PM

If we insist on playing 2-gap read/react with Heyward, McClendon, and Hood (assuming Hamp and Keis are gone) expect the DL to get dominated on a weekly basis. These guys are one-gappers.

fer522 01-25-2013 01:28 PM

What if we took Te'o R1, move Spence to SS or FS let him learn the schemes for 1 year and if Troy gets hurt again, you cut him. :noidea:

WokeUpWithaWoodley 01-25-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison'samonster (Post 1080754)
That's a good point. Them working together as a unit is going to be the key. They''ll be able to be more creative and hopefully more aggressive leading to turnovers.

Yeah turnovers will be the key next year. And let's not forget about slyvester it will be interesting to see who is next to Timmons next year, spence slyvester draft pick who knows at this point