Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   starting field position (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96221)

harrison'samonster 01-28-2013 09:37 PM

starting field position

I went through drive summary's of this season and tallied the yard line they started and the results from each drive by us and our opponents for each game. These numbers aren't official and I most likely made a mistake or two.

Out of 181 offensive drives:

29.8% (54) started between our 0-19 yard line. we scored on 9 of those drives.
16.6% (30) started between our 30-49 yard line. we scored on 15 of those drives.
11.6% (21) started on our opponents side. we scored on 10 of those drives.

Out of 172 drives we defended against:

23.3% (40) started between their 0-19 yard line. they scored on 4 of those drives.
25.6% (44) started between their 30-49 yard line. they scored on 14 of those drives.
14.5% (25) started on our side. they scored on 18 of those drives.

Just thought it was interesting.

harrison'samonster 01-28-2013 09:53 PM

Re: starting field position

offensively, starting between the 0-19: 54 drives, 4 TD and 5 FG (scored on 16.7% of drives)
defensively, starting between their 0-19: 40 drives, 1 TD and 3 FG (scored on10% of drives)

offensively, starting between the 20-29: 76 drives, 18 TD and 11 FG (scored on 38.2% of drives)
defensively, starting between their 20-29: 63 drives, 14 TD and 7 FG (scored on 33.3% drives)

offensively, starting between the 30-49: 30 drives, 6 TD and 9 FG (scored on 50% of drives)
defensively, starting between their 30-49: 44 drives, 5 TD and 9 FG (scored on 31.8% of drives)

offensively, starting on opponents side of field: 21 drives, 7 TD and 3 FG (scored on 47.6% of drives)
defensively, starting on our side of the field: 25 drives, 8 TD and 10 FG (scored on 72% of drives)

SteelersCanada 01-28-2013 11:17 PM

There's absolutely no excuse for this. We have (had) guys like Rainey, Brown and Sanders on our roster and at our disposal and almost a third of them started inside of our own 20? That's what pops out to me and needs addressing. Either we weren't using Brown and friends effectively, or we need new ST guys on the field blocking.

I have a feeling DVD is going to be returning kickoffs and punts next year though and he has some big play ability. I'm hoping that will balance out those numbers a little bit.

BlaZeQuietly 01-29-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1081342)
There's absolutely no excuse for this. We have (had) guys like Rainey, Brown and Sanders on our roster and at our disposal and almost a third of them started inside of our own 20? That's what pops out to me and needs addressing. Either we weren't using Brown and friends effectively, or we need new ST guys on the field blocking.

I have a feeling DVD is going to be returning kickoffs and punts next year though and he has some big play ability. I'm hoping that will balance out those numbers a little bit.

Should have scored more touchdowns instead of field goals?
who is DVD???:noidea:

kent 01-29-2013 01:25 AM

Yea who the heck is DVD?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW 01-29-2013 02:14 AM

DVD=DeMarcus Van Dyke

WVABE 01-29-2013 05:40 AM

Every player in the nfl should start the season with a $100,000 check and earn bonus's according to their individual performances. That would put some gumption in their asses and get them motivated.

Score a TD, 25,000- get a sack, 25,000.

Imagine how fast that would get the benchwarmers highly motivated.
I know I'm just talkin' shit and it will never happen but I bet it would work.

steelfury02 01-29-2013 05:51 AM

the message here?

When we start on the opponents side of the field, we only scored 48% of the time

Our opponents in our territory? They scored 72% of the time.

I'd like to see these numbers through the first 8-9 games compared to the season as a whole - I bet they were looking a little better than this.

My assumptions based on these stats are:
Our special teams were horrid
The 2nd half off our season, the offense was horrid
We didn't create enough turnovers, and especially when the opponent was marching on us. If they got the ball on our side, you could pretty much count on them scoring.

Honestly - it is awesome that we didn't go below 8-8 with some of the huge red flags out there.

We'll be back to 10-6 next season, I have faith that some of these changes will do our team some good.

VaDave 01-29-2013 06:04 AM

Just a though on all of those long field drives and blaming it on KOs, a fair percentage of those were punts with the opposing punter was puching them from midfield in as most of those were fair catches.

Can you find a a stat on how many yards it took our D to stop drive?

Interesting stats.

harrison'samonster 01-29-2013 06:26 AM

footballoutsiders.com has some stats on drives averages and stuff. looks like we allowed 25.99 yds/drive which was only second to Denver. On offense we got just over 29 yards/drive (which looks like it's about the same rank as our offensive scoring).

I never found anything to do with where drives started and their results, which I think really hurt us this year, but as a team we could do nothing to change it.

I also want to add that I didn't use drives that were simply kneel downs at the end of a half.

Yeah, a lot of the drives that started before our 19 yard line were when we were just backed up by the other teams punting unit. And our offense was really slowed to a crawl after Ben's injury