Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers Hire Jack Bicknell Jr. As OLine Coach (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96228)

SteelersCanada 01-29-2013 03:58 PM

Steelers Hire Jack Bicknell Jr. As OLine Coach

Bob Labriola ‏@BobLabriola

Steelers hire Jack Bicknell Jr. as their offensive line coach. He replaces Sean Kugler, the new head coach at UTEP.

Updates will follow.

update -- Since it's a slow news day and reports aren't really coming out yet, here's the offensive line stats for the regular season last year in which he was the OLine coach of the Chiefs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...qualified=true

update 2 -- Because I don't like Bouchette, I don't have PG Plus but if anyone is, there's an article there about this hiring. Feel free to post it if you're able to. But, here's what Dave is tweeting.

Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot

Bicknell is versed in both the power & zone blocking schemes. #steelers

Mike Tomlin thinks a lot of Tom Coughlin and I bet he talked to him quite a bit about Bicknell #steelers

[In reply to whether or not he likes the hire] I like the aspect that he ran the zone a lot at KC. We need to run more of that.

So, it looks like he's bringing a zone blocking scheme to Pittsburgh.

update 3 -- A little video of the hiring and some background information on Jack himself http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...medium=twitter

23 years of collegiate coaching experience is pretty good. Also, only giving up 28 sacks when he was the Asst. OLine coach of the Giants is a pretty nice looking stat as well.

GMU Steeler 01-29-2013 04:07 PM

Re: Steelers Hire Jack Bicknell Jr. As OLine Coach

Chiefs O-line coach this year and the previous two years was the Giants assistant o-line coach. Coached o-line at Boston College before that and has some head coaching experience at Louisiana Tech. Not sure really what to make out of the move.

Riddle_Of_Steel 01-29-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1081425)
Bob Labriola ‏@BobLabriola

Steelers hire Jack Bicknell Jr. as their offensive line coach. He replaces Sean Kugler, the new head coach at UTEP.

Updates will follow.

Hmmm...not a whole lot of info on the guy on the web. Was head coach when Doug Flutie made his mark in college. Coached some teams in NFL Europe.

On the surface-- does not sound like a suitable replacement for Sean Kugler but who knows?

MACH1 01-29-2013 04:08 PM

Jack Bicknell Jr. Named Offensive Line Coach

Quote:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have named Jack Bicknell, Jr. as their new offensive line coach, it was announced today.

Bicknell is entering his fifth season in the NFL as an assistant coach, having served as the offensive line coach for Kansas City in 2012 and as the assistant offensive line coach for the New York Giants from 2009-11.

“I am excited to have Jack join the Pittsburgh Steelers,” Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin said. “Jack has a tremendous football pedigree and the background we were looking for to guide our offensive line in the upcoming years. I look forward to having him join our staff as we prepare for the upcoming 2013 season.”

Bicknell was part of a New York coaching staff that helped lead the Giants to victory in Super Bowl XLVI. In 2011, New York’s offensive line only allowed 28 sacks as the Giants’ offense ranked fifth in the NFL in passing. While in New York, Bicknell helped G Chris Snee and OL Shaun O’Hara earn three selections to the NFC Pro Bowl team. In Bicknell’s first season with the Giants, three offensive linemen were selected to the Pro Bowl, marking the first time since 1962 that three Giants from the same position group were selected to the NFL’s all-star game.

“The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the greatest franchises in the NFL," said Bicknell, Jr. "The Steelers have great tradition, great ownership and great leadership from the top to the bottom. For me to be able to come to a situation like this, it is really a dream come true."
http://www.steelers.com/news/article...c-75f6dce76dbb

Fire Arians 01-29-2013 05:33 PM

good hire

stiller39 01-29-2013 05:54 PM

Tomlin states that he liked how KC had good success running the ball against the AFC north teams. That a smart head coach imo.

sloppyjoe 01-29-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel (Post 1081430)
Hmmm...not a whole lot of info on the guy on the web. Was head coach when Doug Flutie made his mark in college. Coached some teams in NFL Europe.

On the surface-- does not sound like a suitable replacement for Sean Kugler but who knows?

thats good news, kugler sucked

harrison'samonster 01-29-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiller39 (Post 1081451)
Tomlin states that he liked how KC had good success running the ball against the AFC north teams. That a smart head coach imo.

I like it!

steelfury02 01-29-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison'samonster (Post 1081454)
I like it!

same here - I'd like a chance to hear from the new hire about our O line's technique in run and pass blocking

sloppyjoe 01-29-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiller39 (Post 1081451)

tomlin had no say into this hire