Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96296)

harrison'samonster 02-01-2013 12:21 PM

Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
Any body else see this? He says 10-15 % of his tackles he wasn't involved in and another 10% he was the last guy on the pile and got the credit.

I don't know if it's that much, but I definitely remember in his prime he was getting credit for tackles when all he did was jump on the pile.

I think his stats are misleading, true. But I don't think he's overrated, he was definitely a great player.

EDIT: That's Ray Lewis by the way

Atlanta Dan 02-01-2013 12:47 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
Chad also does not like the motivational acting out by Ray Ray (or, in days gone by, Greg Lloyd)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/...-is-overrated/

Fire Arians 02-01-2013 12:51 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
i don't think he's overrated, he's definitely a 1st ballot HOFer. I don't like the guy but he's one of the best ever at his position.

as for chad brown, i wish we coulda kept him, he was a badass

SteelersCanada 02-01-2013 01:21 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
He's not overrated, but in the last couple years he's been talked up because of his name and not necessarily his play. I mean, the guy obviously lost a step and that's to be expected with age, but we're talking about him like he's still one of the best ILB in the NFL and frankly, I don't think he is. That torch was passed to guys like Beason and Willis a long time ago.

fansince'76 02-01-2013 04:18 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison'samonster (Post 1081916)
Any body else see this? He says 10-15 % of his tackles he wasn't involved in and another 10% he was the last guy on the pile and got the credit.

I don't know if it's that much, but I definitely remember in his prime he was getting credit for tackles when all he did was jump on the pile.

Yeah, it's been quite noticeable, particularly at M&T Bank Stadium.

lloydwoodson 02-02-2013 02:46 AM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
Tackles are tracked by the teams themselves and not the NFL... consequently tackle stats mean nothing.

TRH 02-02-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
i don't disagree w/Chad.

As a team leader : second to none, a fantastic motivator
As a media darling: absolutely top notch, great for attracting publicity to the team and to the city (and to himself - nothing wrong with that). Look at ESPN's top plays of the year for 2012 (at least the list i watched on their highlight reel 2 days ago). Lewis comes through the line and tackles a RB one-yard behind the line of scrimmage. Nothing spectacular, nothing we don't see 2 or 3 times a game from every team, every game - but because its "Lewis" it makes a top plays of the year reel. Some guys got flattened 5 yards behind the line, much more dynamic plays, and they don't even show up on these "lists".

As a linebacker : above-average to very good, no question. But there's plenty of guys who are, and who have in the past, wiped the floor with him at LB in comparison

I like Lewis but i'm really disagreeing with all this "best ever" stuff - by far.

harrison'samonster 02-02-2013 12:31 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TRH (Post 1082019)
i don't disagree w/Chad.

As a team leader : second to none, a fantastic motivator
As a media darling: absolutely top notch, great for attracting publicity to the team and to the city (and to himself - nothing wrong with that). Look at ESPN's top plays of the year for 2012 (at least the list i watched on their highlight reel 2 days ago). Lewis comes through the line and tackles a RB one-yard behind the line of scrimmage. Nothing spectacular, nothing we don't see 2 or 3 times a game from every team, every game - but because its "Lewis" it makes a top plays of the year reel. Some guys got flattened 5 yards behind the line, much more dynamic plays, and they don't even show up on these "lists".

As a linebacker : above-average to very good, no question. But there's plenty of guys who are, and who have in the past, wiped the floor with him at LB in comparison

I like Lewis but i'm really disagreeing with all this "best ever" stuff - by far.

That the biggest problem i have when listening to ppl talk about players like Lewis. A lot of "best ever" talk is overblown media-hyped fantasizing regardless of which player their talking about. It's all fun to make lists and stuff, but it doesn't mean much when it comes to football.

i82much 02-02-2013 06:56 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TRH (Post 1082019)
i don't disagree w/Chad.

As a team leader : second to none, a fantastic motivator
As a media darling: absolutely top notch, great for attracting publicity to the team and to the city (and to himself - nothing wrong with that). Look at ESPN's top plays of the year for 2012 (at least the list i watched on their highlight reel 2 days ago). Lewis comes through the line and tackles a RB one-yard behind the line of scrimmage. Nothing spectacular, nothing we don't see 2 or 3 times a game from every team, every game - but because its "Lewis" it makes a top plays of the year reel. Some guys got flattened 5 yards behind the line, much more dynamic plays, and they don't even show up on these "lists".

As a linebacker : above-average to very good, no question. But there's plenty of guys who are, and who have in the past, wiped the floor with him at LB in comparison

I like Lewis but i'm really disagreeing with all this "best ever" stuff - by far.

This is sugarcoated nonsense. There is no question Ray Lewis is an all-time great. No question. This is the equivalent of a Ravens fan saying Polamalu is overrated. Both examples of statements that are silly, stupid, and based entirely on personal feelings that have no basis in fact.

harrison'samonster 02-02-2013 07:56 PM

Re: Chad Brown calls Lewis overrated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by i82much (Post 1082044)
This is sugarcoated nonsense. There is no question Ray Lewis is an all-time great. No question. This is the equivalent of a Ravens fan saying Polamalu is overrated. Both examples of statements that are silly, stupid, and based entirely on personal feelings that have no basis in fact.

I think calling somebody an all-time great is silly, stupid, and based entirely on personal feelings that have no basis in fact.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum