Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2013 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Do We Take Barkley if He's Available? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96303)

SteelersCanada 02-01-2013 01:31 PM

Do We Take Barkley if He's Available?

I'll keep it short and to the point - say we're drafting in the second round this year and, for whatever reason, Matt Barkley is sitting on the board. Say he has a bad combine and less than impressive pro-day to help this situation along. Since we have an obvious and glaring need for not only a back up to Roethlisberger but a potential replacement, would we spend a second round pick on this kid? His stock went into a complete tailspin and sitting out the final game and the Bowl Game certainly didn't help it back up.

This is the only scenario in which we take a Quarterback in my opinion. I know he's from USC and their last few Quarterbacks have been less than impressive to say the least, but I'd be willing to take that risk for Barkley. I think sitting behind Ben for a few years would ultimately help his progress and make him a potential replacement candidate for Roethlisberger.

So, if he's on the board in the second round when we're picking, do we take him?

MasterOfPuppets 02-01-2013 04:04 PM

Re: Do We Take Barkley if He's Available?

oh hell no

Justp94 02-01-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 1081944)
oh hell no

FACT!

Steel Glory 02-01-2013 05:15 PM

I would rather have mark sanchez than matt barkley. Seriously... that's how much I don't like him

SteelersCanada 02-01-2013 07:19 PM

He has flaws in his mechanics, sure, but those are teachable flaws. He's not as bad as what people are making him out to be, honestly.

cbrunn 02-01-2013 07:24 PM

No Thanks...

Bring back Denis Dixon , Josh Johnson ...

I would like to sign Pat White ... I read he was trying to make a come back , that kid was a baller

teegre 02-02-2013 01:40 AM

SteelCanada,
As we have discussed, this is not the year to take a QB.

BUT, I hear what you are saying.

In fact, I was discussing something similar, in another thread. If one of these "average" QBs is still there at 47, then it would be an interesting dilemma. Now, personally, I am more for waiting for a better draft class, but if Barkley or Wilson or Nassib is there... it would make one think for a second.

That said, obviously, none of those guys is a R1 QB (although, due to need, there will be a few who go R1)... and, NONE of them would have been drafted in R2 in last year's draft (although, last year's draft class was an anomaly: five HOF caliber QBs). So, actually, R2 is "about right" for these QBs.

Now... would i take one? Eh... I am leaning towards Alex Carder (in R6). He is just about as good (not much drop off from the #2 rated QB and the #10 rated QB)... and, most importantly, it addresses a need, without having to use a premium draft pick. Then, next year, draft a QB early.

Regarding Barkley:
He is good at throwing receivers open (a difficult trait to teach)... but, his arm is garbage. I live in SoCal, & watch a lot of games with SoCal fans... and these Homers do not even like him. They compare him to Philip Rivers: limited.

teegre 02-02-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrunn (Post 1081964)
No Thanks...

Bring back Denis Dixon , Josh Johnson ...

I would like to sign Pat White ... I read he was trying to make a come back , that kid was a baller

I... love... Pat... White.

Although, I do not see him as a starting QB (to small). BUT, he is a winner (the only QB in NCAA history to win four bowl games as a starter).

kan_t 02-02-2013 03:03 AM

No. This year the QB class is just bad. Not a year to pick a QB early.

Steeldude 02-02-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1081933)
I'll keep it short and to the point - say we're drafting in the second round this year and, for whatever reason, Matt Barkley is sitting on the board. Say he has a bad combine and less than impressive pro-day to help this situation along. Since we have an obvious and glaring need for not only a back up to Roethlisberger but a potential replacement, would we spend a second round pick on this kid? His stock went into a complete tailspin and sitting out the final game and the Bowl Game certainly didn't help it back up.

This is the only scenario in which we take a Quarterback in my opinion. I know he's from USC and their last few Quarterbacks have been less than impressive to say the least, but I'd be willing to take that risk for Barkley. I think sitting behind Ben for a few years would ultimately help his progress and make him a potential replacement candidate for Roethlisberger.

So, if he's on the board in the second round when we're picking, do we take him?

Why? He isn't a good enough QB to waste a 2nd round pick on. Also, the Steelers don't need a QB in the early rounds.