Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Open letter to Niners fans (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96358)

lloydwoodson 02-04-2013 01:45 AM

Open letter to Niners fans

Dear Niners fans,

I was really hoping your favourite team was going to beat the Ravens. Hope you get back there next year- you always seem a step closer than the year before. If it is any consolation the "Superbowl Champion T-Shirts" are going to clothe tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. That should give you time to grieve without feeling guilty for a lapse in social activism. Throw some organically grown, fair-trade tomatoes at Culliver if you see him for the rest of us. Better luck next year, Yuppies!

Sincerely,
A Steelers fan.

http://i49.tinypic.com/9is6eq.jpg

BleedPurple 02-04-2013 02:07 AM

Re: Open letter to Niners fans

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloydwoodson (Post 1082664)
Dear Niners fans,

I was really hoping your favourite team was going to beat the Ravens. Hope you get back there next year- you always seem a step closer than the year before. If it is any consolation the "Superbowl Champion T-Shirts" are going to clothe tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. That should give you time to grieve without feeling guilty for a lapse in social activism. Throw some organically grown, fair-trade tomatoes at Culliver if you see him for the rest of us. Better luck next year, Yuppies!

Sincerely,
A Steelers fan.

http://i49.tinypic.com/9is6eq.jpg

Since they won't let me make an account on their forums I will post it here: to all 9ers fans crying about the hold in the endzone on the punt with ~12 seconds left. . . got news for ya, there were 8-9 holds on that play. John told the entire TEAM to hold, because guess what offensive holding in the endzone is. . . A SAFETY! AND IT DOESN'T STOP THE CLOCK!

Geeze just pisses me off because they were all crying over it. . .

MasterOfPuppets 02-04-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedPurple (Post 1082665)
Since they won't let me make an account on their forums I will post it here: to all 9ers fans crying about the hold in the endzone on the punt with ~12 seconds left. . . got news for ya, there were 8-9 holds on that play. John told the entire TEAM to hold, because guess what offensive holding in the endzone is. . . A SAFETY! AND IT DOESN'T STOP THE CLOCK!

Geeze just pisses me off because they were all crying over it. . .

but why wasn't it called ?

BleedPurple 02-04-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 1082666)

I'm curious as well, but it could be it wasn't called because it didn't make any difference. Honestly, there should have been lots of laundry on the field.

Stu Pidasso 02-04-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 1082666)

NOTHING was called in that game.

#29 for the Ravens hit a referee, kept yelling at him, had to be physically pulled away from him, all with his helmet off, and there WASN'T EVEN A FLAG, let alone him being thrown out. At that point I knew the Ravens were going to win. What if that was Harrison?

steelerchad 02-04-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedPurple (Post 1082668)
I'm curious as well, but it could be it wasn't called because it didn't make any difference. Honestly, there should have been lots of laundry on the field.

Yeah. I knew it when I saw it that it was intentional holding by the entire team. Very smart call as there would have been no penalty for doing it. Still a little shock why they wouldn't throw the flag though. When the whole line is basically tackling or bear hugging their man right in front of all the officials and not one of them throws a flag makes you wonder what the hell they are even doing out there.

BleedPurple 02-04-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 1082725)
Yeah. I knew it when I saw it that it was intentional holding by the entire team. Very smart call as there would have been no penalty for doing it. Still a little shock why they wouldn't throw the flag though. When the whole line is basically tackling or bear hugging their man right in front of all the officials and not one of them throws a flag makes you wonder what the hell they are even doing out there.

Well, the really interesting thing would have been if Koch had thrown a pass out of the endzone at the end of the play (never in a million years would he, but just speaking hypothetically that would have made that play really controversial).

Thinking back, I believe if Koch had attempted/completed a pass after burning clock hiding behind the holds you would have seen the flags come out. As it happened, a flag was really not going to make any difference. By rule, they can't put time back on the clock for holding in the end zone. The penalty for holding in the end zone is already a safety, the 2 pts is supposed to be the punishment.

I think the competition committee may even take a look at this and make the penalty 2 pts OR put time back on the clock and make them rerun the play, which would take away the advantage of using a penalized hold to run out clock on 4th down. For this year though it was a great coaching decision by JH in my opinion, curious what you all think.

lloydwoodson 02-04-2013 07:43 PM

There were 12 seconds left on the clock when it came time for the punt. It really didn't matter whether JH told his team to hold or not- the game was over.

I thought the clock management by Baltimore to end the first half was atrocious.

One of the worst superbowls I can remember. The damn game would not end. It was like a 5 hour game.

Referees blow calls in every game. There is no conspiracy but the Ravens have been lucky with the calls they have received over the years.

dez09231 02-04-2013 08:44 PM

That lack of holding call made absolutely no difference. What would've happened? Time would've ran out a couple of seconds further into the kick off return?

tony hipchest 02-04-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedPurple (Post 1083060)

I think the competition committee may even take a look at this and make the penalty 2 pts OR put time back on the clock and make them rerun the play, which would take away the advantage of using a penalized hold to run out clock on 4th down. For this year though it was a great coaching decision by JH in my opinion, curious what you all think.

it WAS a great call by asshole #1 cause it showed he knew the rules and put thought into every possible scenario, and maximized every possible outcome in his favor. the worst thing that coulda happened was a kick return which coulda happened just as easilly on a punt.

im sure asshole #2 told him "good call" after the game (or today/tomorrow) as well.

the competition committee will have no choice but to look at it, but what is the solution? probably a safety and the opposite of the "15 second run-off" rule.