Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Defensive END play since Aaron Smith... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96395)

xbroughneck 02-05-2013 01:40 PM

Defensive END play since Aaron Smith...

has been sub par imo. No one has stepped up, and our linebacking corp has suffer for it.

Just saying.

steelfury02 02-05-2013 01:44 PM

Re: Defensive END play since Aaron Smith...

i wouldn't expect his old position to be one of strength for a while - our secondary and LB both at in and out to be a more urgent concern especially with what their roles will have to be to win a SB - that said, I hope after the San Diego game the effin' perimeter is fixed

GMU Steeler 02-05-2013 01:46 PM

Smith is one of the best 3-4 ends ever. Not saying Hood and Heyward can't be better but Aaron was one of the best at what he did. I do agree though and this could be contributing to the lack of pressure and sacks and turnovers in the past copule years. Hopefully, Heyward and Hood have big seasons in them because I think Keisel's on his last leg.

steelfury02 02-05-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMU Steeler (Post 1083310)
Smith is one of the best 3-4 ends ever. Not saying Hood and Heyward can't be better but Aaron was one of the best at what he did. I do agree though and this could be contributing to the lack of pressure and sacks and turnovers in the past copule years. Hopefully, Heyward and Hood have big seasons in them because I think Keisel's on his last leg.

yea its one thing when you aren't creating pressure but your secondary are full of ball hawks - when you don't have either you're gonna get lit up

GMU Steeler 02-05-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 1083314)
yea its one thing when you aren't creating pressure but your secondary are full of ball hawks - when you don't have either you're gonna get lit up

Perfect storm of frustration. Get the pressure back and we'll start the return to being the most feared defense in the league.

Atlanta Dan 02-05-2013 01:51 PM

Keisel probably had his best season in 2012 and has played at a high level for several seasons

OTOH Ziggy Hood has not played to the standard and Heyward needs to step it up in 2013 or be labeled a bust.

I know the party line is it takes several years to learn LeBeau's 3-4 but at some point time is up

Clark figured it out immediately while Hampton, Troy and Woodley were at Pro Bowl levels by their second seasons

steelfury02 02-05-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1083318)
Keisel probably had his best season in 2012 and has played at a high level for several seasons

OTOH Ziggy Hood has not played to the standard and Heyward needs to step it up in 2013 or be labeled a bust.

I know the party line is it takes several years to learn LeBeau's 3-4 but at some point time is up

Clark figured it out immediately while Hampton, Troy and Woodley were at Pro Bowl levels by their second seasons

couldn't agree with that comparison any more

I will say though - maybe some of these leaders in voice and example need to leave for them to feel like they can step it up though - just a thought :noidea:

Steelers5895 02-05-2013 01:57 PM

bring back Brentson Buckner and Ray Seals.

The steelers have tried to get more athletic DE's and they only succeeded with Aaron Smith. They need thumpers who are big bodies that can push the pocket and help the OLB's. Guys like theose 2, Kimo, Donald Evans, etc.

austinfrench76 02-05-2013 04:19 PM

GMU Steeler hit it on the head!!!! Comapring anyone to Smith is a disservice to them. Smith is one of the best 3-4 DT's to ever play the game. A 4th rounder no less which is where the Steelers make their money, later rounds I mean! Finding gems.

steeltheone 02-05-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinfrench76 (Post 1083366)
GMU Steeler hit it on the head!!!! Comapring anyone to Smith is a disservice to them. Smith is one of the best 3-4 DT's to ever play the game. A 4th rounder no less which is where the Steelers make their money, later rounds I mean! Finding gems.

Smith played on a defense full of Pro Bowlers...It makes a big difference. Smith was good, but when he went down ( a lot ) Hood filled in and the Defense did not skip a beat.

We don't have that level of talent now.