Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Big Ben on front page (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=964)

BB2W 06-18-2005 02:15 AM

Big Ben on front page

Ben is on the front page at www.nfl.com and it sounds good.....

Improving Roethlisberger might throw more

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

(June 17, 2005) -- Entering his second season, look for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to throw the ball more this season.

Roethlisberger has informed Steelers coaches how much more comfortable he feels in Pittsburgh's offense, how much more of a grasp of it he has, and how he would like to open up the offense more than last season, when Pittsburgh ran the ball on 61 percent of its offensive plays. The Steelers now will consider throwing the football more on first and second down than they did last season, and much of their added aggressiveness stems from Roethlisberger's heightened confidence.

At a recent minicamp, Roethlisberger watched rookie first-round pick Heath Miller tentatively run through a pattern before turning to his quarterbacks coach, Mark Whipple, and asking, "Was I like that as a rookie?" Yes he was, but not anymore.

"One guy who has distinguished himself (at minicamp), who has improved the most from last year to this year is Ben," Whipple said. "If I look back at my notes, I think that would be the one. Everyone played at a high level, but especially Ben."

Prosdo 06-18-2005 02:33 AM

Re: Big Ben on front page

Sounds very promising. I'm really excited about all the additions to the team. Miller and McFadden are looking very good from what I hear. I'm pumped for this season.

BlitzburghRockCity 06-18-2005 07:37 AM

Image that, Big Ben on the front page of a another website or publication? :rofl:

Im anxious to see what Heath can do and how long it takes him to crack the starting lineup!

Stlrs4Life 06-18-2005 09:47 AM

I believe Ben will be fine. I'm more worried about our OL.

RoethlisBURGHer 06-18-2005 10:42 AM

I'm not worried about Ben at all.The problems last year were fatigue,having such a small percentage of the playbook to use,being unable to read defenses,and the fact we were so predictable.

Yes,they better open up the offense some more than last year and throw more on first and second down.When you get too predictable you begin to lose.

BlitzburghRockCity 06-18-2005 06:21 PM

Our OL was the main reason we had so much success last year. They gave Ben time, gave the RB's holes to run through. When they stay healthy as a group, there's no one else I'd want. But we lost alot of depth this year, so it'll be interesting to see who steps up in camp behind the starting 5.

clevestinks 06-18-2005 06:22 PM

The big positives about Ben are That he is smart, and mature. With a full playbook this year, I think he will be improved.

bigbensgirl7 06-19-2005 09:42 AM

Man...I can't wait for this season to start...I'm going crazy. I am so excited to see how Ben has matured, everything I have heard seems incredibly positive. I think now that he is able to utalize the full playbook, we are going to see great things happening this year.

BB2W 06-19-2005 10:57 AM

I know exactly how you feel Bensgirl. I am really looking forward to pounding the Bengals this year. I hope Carson struggles again......so I can rub it in. :D There is a big Bengals movement where we live......fans are coming out everywhere, and they are all talking trash. I just want to get that game over with and shut them up.

I do love what I hear about Ben, and how he looked in Mini-camp. Hopefully it carries over to Traning-camp, and the regular season. When Kordell was the QB we heard this stuff every off-season, and come game time nothing changed. I honestly beleive Ben is destined to be great......what a rookie year! He has always been improving his entire career, and I don't thinks it stops here. It may take a few seasons, but I think he will be great.

bigbensgirl7 06-19-2005 10:59 AM

Hey BigBen...you better be up at Damons this year...I have a feeling it's just going to keep getting worse with these Fair weather fans around here. I missed you in the Playoffs...it got pretty ugly up in there!