Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored: (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96426)

StainlessStill 02-07-2013 03:17 PM

I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
Quick thought:

Haley is already shown to like the zone-blocking scheme for his running backs to run behind and with a new offensive line coach coming through, it's time to teach a VERY fresh and young offensive line the Steelers now own to learn things the right way in our approach. Not only can we establish a running mindset from a zone-blocking scheme, but I'd like to see Ben run an offense similar to how Denver ran theirs in the Plummer-era.

Of course it's nice for Ben to get it out of his hands quick, but his feet are nimble and he's athletic enough to get out of the pocket and make people miss. I'd like to see the same approach to spreading the ball around, but play-action is needed for Ben to succeed and take less hits, and we need less defenders around Ben as much as possible. Having a designed offense to roll Ben out of the pocket and create space could work wonders in our evolution.

I'd like to see a lot of roll-outs forming off of the zone blocking mentality, make the defense roll one way, rolling Ben out another, and having mis-direction routes for our receivers to get open on the opposite end of the field to create confusion and mis-match's for speedsters and scat like agility wideouts like Antonio Brown to manipulate.

This could also set up Ben putting up HUGE numbers in a no-huddle approach with a new wrinkle to implement. Points need to be scored.

Time for a different offensive approach and a new canvas for Bens game to operate, keys in hand.

harrison'samonster 02-07-2013 03:21 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
very good thinking. Even one thing we're going to need: A RB who is going to demand respect. You're getting me pumped up man!

Steelers5895 02-07-2013 03:27 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
I like it BUT doesnt that put Ben at risk for more hits?

We dont seea lot of the roll outs now as a lot of defneses are in the 3-4 and have fast OLB who can get to the QB. They may not sack him but will get their share of hits on him as he releases the ball. PLus he is getting hit at full speed which will make his hitting the ground a lot harder than getting sacked in the pocket.

ben is best in the no huddle. I think ben would be great if we ran that more and it will also make our speedy small receivers a little more dangerous.

i still think the least of our worries are the offense.

harrison'samonster 02-07-2013 03:30 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
I think moving Ben around is one way to help protect him, that way the Defense doesn't know where he's going to be.

Steelers5895 02-07-2013 03:31 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
when he rolls out, no real blocking in front of him. sounds dangerous.

StainlessStill 02-07-2013 03:36 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
Quote:

I like it BUT doesnt that put Ben at risk for more hits?
Not if we can bring in a SOLID feature back that not only is smart enough to create his own holes in a zone blocking scheme (our o-line is bigger and more athletic than some people think) but is quick enough to take advantages of the edges with an option for cutback lanes. That keeps aggressive defensive ends and backers to stay home and stay in their lanes, opening up a big QB with nice feet (like Ben) to widen out, create space and keep the defensive off balance into going after Ben, and if they do, if they crash, Haley loves the dump-off option to begin with for a security blanket in our back to slip behind them in the flat and gain significant amounts of yardage in open space.

Getting Ben more options in dump-offs is key as well. Haley loves establishing this. It makes most sense to me because Big Ben's magic happens out of the pocket to begin with. With a defense knowing this already and still having to protect a portion of the field when schemes are considered problematic to defend, makes Big Ben even more dangerous in what he's capable of doing when the field opens up with him booting out knowing the back will always be there for assistance to stay in to block, or slip out in coverage if nothings there.

harrison'samonster 02-07-2013 03:38 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
also, don't snap the ball every time when the play clock is on one. That and moving the pocket around will help protect him.

harrison'samonster 02-07-2013 03:39 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 1084062)
Not if we can bring in a SOLID feature back that not only is smart enough to create his own holes in a zone blocking scheme (our o-line is bigger and more athletic than some people think) but is quick enough to take advantages of the edges with an option for cutback lanes. That keeps aggressive defensive ends and backers to stay home and stay in their lanes, opening up a big QB with nice feet (like Ben) to widen out, create space and keep the defensive off balance into going after Ben, and if they do, if they crash, Haley loves the dump-off option to begin with for a security blanket in our back to slip behind them in the flat and gain significant amounts of yardage in open space.

Getting Ben more options in dump-offs is key as well. Haley loves establishing this. It makes most sense to me because Big Ben's magic happens out of the pocket to begin with. With a defense knowing this already and still having to protect a portion of the field when schemes are considered problematic to defend, makes Big Ben even more dangerous in what he's capable of doing.

Is this a style that Mendenhall would be good for? I know a lot of people want him gone, but if he's the best option how can we let him go?

StainlessStill 02-07-2013 03:47 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
Quote:

when he rolls out, no real blocking in front of him. sounds dangerous.
Not necessarily. Rolling Ben out doesn't automatically mean having the need for Roethlisberger to sprint out outside the tackles box. It's the depth that can work with the pass-protection working off the zone blocking scheme with Ben gaining depth in his dropbacks at certain angles and yardage, creating the most space possible between him and the line of scrimmage while still containing within the pocket. Different sets and combinations could work wonders if we can get Ben using his feet more to open things up downfield with mis-direction. If Heath was healthy, it would excite me more just thinking about it.

StainlessStill 02-07-2013 03:53 PM

Re: I'm thinking offense: New wrinkle that I'd like to see explored:
 
Quote:

Is this a style that Mendenhall would be good for? I know a lot of people want him gone, but if he's the best option how can we let him go?
That's the kicker. Ultimately, yes. Out of ALL the players involved when the announcement of Haley was made, Mendenhall was the one I was most excited to see break out. Finally, his vision to the outside could be complimented with him running behind a wall giving him the opportunity to turn on the jets and make the correct adjustments in stride.

Unfortunately, his injury stalled his progress and is too boneheaded to buy into anything long-term with his contract disputes. I always viewed Mendenhall to be a Reggie Bush type player, one who needs space at all times to create mis-match's in the second level. Problem for Mendy, is getting to the second level running behind an o-line built to run between the tackles in philosophy. We can QUICKLY make the adjustment.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum