Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Redskins name change? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96462)

The_Joker 02-09-2013 11:16 PM

Redskins name change?
 
Say it ain't so. My vote goes to NO. It'll always be the Redskins, why change it because a handful of whiners don't like it. (Fact, Redskins was a term invented by the Natives themselves to distinguish themselves from Whites.)

I live in DC so this is pretty big new here.

aa14 02-09-2013 11:34 PM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackjack (Post 1084621)
Say it ain't so. My vote goes to NO. It'll always be the Redskins, why change it because a handful of whiners don't like it. (Fact, Redskins was a term invented by the Natives themselves to distinguish themselves from Whites.)

I live in DC so this is pretty big new here.

Many native american "whiners" find it very offensive as it has been used as a derogatory term against them for a long time. I honestly don't know what it's origins are but I grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada and I witnessed a boy fight another boy in school for being called that exact name. He was being bullied and it lit a fuse. It is a sore spot and for you to write them all off as "whiners" is quite frankly ignorant.

aa14 02-09-2013 11:34 PM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
double post

Lady Steel 02-09-2013 11:54 PM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
I don't care what they do. Doesn't affect my team.

aa14 02-09-2013 11:57 PM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Steel (Post 1084625)
I don't care what they do. Doesn't affect my team.

Exactly. It doesn't affect anyone except, albeit understandably, Redskins fans. If a little more education and discussion was made more public I don't think many people would get defensive over what they perceive to be over-sensitive minorities.

Lady Steel 02-10-2013 12:03 AM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aa14 (Post 1084626)
Exactly. It doesn't affect anyone except, albeit understandably, Redskins fans. If a little more education and discussion was made more public I don't think many people would get defensive over what they perceive to be over-sensitive minorities.

What are you dribbling about? It's "all be it." AHHHHH! I CAN'T GET THROUGH! :banging:

:laughing:

aa14 02-10-2013 12:04 AM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Steel (Post 1084628)
What are you dribbling about? It's "all be it." AHHHHH! I CAN'T GET THROUGH! :banging:

:laughing:

You're asking for it!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Lady Steel 02-10-2013 12:06 AM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
Just havin' some fun with ya, aa. :laughing: :hug:

GoFor7 02-10-2013 12:10 AM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
It is rather hypocritical by the NFL that they get pissed off no black GMs or head coaches are hired, yet they continue to ignore the issue about the Redskins.

So teams should feel ashamed that the guys they feel are right for certain jobs happen to be white, but it's okay to offend Native Americans? :noidea:

The_Joker 02-10-2013 12:24 AM

Re: Redskins name change?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFor7 (Post 1084631)
It is rather hypocritical by the NFL that they get pissed off no black GMs or head coaches are hired, yet they continue to ignore the issue about the Redskins.

So teams should feel ashamed that the guys they feel are right for certain jobs happen to be white, but it's okay to offend Native Americans? :noidea:

:banging:

HOW IS IT ANYMORE OFFENSIVE THAN THE CLEVELAND BROWNS?

Or what about the Chiefs! That's a Native name! Or how about the Jets? 9/11?

90% of natives don't care about the name, look it up. As many Natives care as white people.

No way a team older than us changes their name.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum