Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Italian Sausage And Pepper Kabob Sandwiches (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=9650)

lamberts-lost-tooth 08-18-2006 04:48 PM

Italian Sausage And Pepper Kabob Sandwiches

For all you out there preparing for the TAILGATE!!!

Use large diced red and green bell peppers and quarter small yellow onions. Slice Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage into 1/2 inch coins. Soak wooden skewers in water about 15 minutes. Take a skewer and alternate peppers, sausage and onions, being sure not to make them longer then the bun you are going to be using. Spread marina sauce inside your favorite bun or roll. When kabobs are done, place in bun. Hold bun firmly keeping sausage and peppers in place while removing the skewer. Add a slice or two of provolone or mozzarella cheese and serve.

83-Steelers-43 08-18-2006 05:01 PM

Re: Italian Sausage And Pepper Kabob Sandwiches

Posted this once before.

If your going with Italian sausage and your in the Pittsburgh area, here is the best Italian sausage in Pittsburgh; http://www.riccisausage.net/

It also helps if you have homemade sauce. While I enjoy other people's Italian sausage with peppers and onions, it doesn't taste the same as homemade. I make it the night before a Steeler game, reheat it in the morning and bring to every tailgate, good stuff.

They are good people also.

floodcitygirl 08-18-2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Posted this once before.

If your going with Italian sausage and your in the Pittsburgh area, here is the best Italian sausage in Pittsburgh; http://www.riccisausage.net/

It also helps if you have homemade sauce. While I enjoy other people's Italian sausage with peppers and onions, it doesn't taste the same as homemade. I make it the night before a Steeler game, reheat it in the morning and bring to every tailgate, good stuff.

They are good people also.

Are you making this for all the games and tailgating? :bouncy:

83-Steelers-43 08-18-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
Are you making this for all the games and tailgating? :bouncy:

I try to make it for every home game. It all depends on the night before. :smile:

floodcitygirl 08-18-2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

I try to make it for every home game. It all depends on the night before. :smile:

Have I mentioned that I'll be in town for a home game this year??? :rolleyes: :grin:

83-Steelers-43 08-18-2006 05:23 PM

Well, if you like Italian sausage/peppers/onions with homemade pasta sauce, let me know when you are going. :smile:

floodcitygirl 08-18-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Well, if you like Italian sausage/peppers/onions with homemade pasta sauce, let me know when you are going. :smile:

What a great idea! So glad you thought of it! :bouncy:

Mamaduck43 08-18-2006 08:33 PM

I never thought about kabbobbing (is that a word?) this, but I have made something similar for years..... I grew up in Hampton Township and we used to get homemade hot sausage from Giel's market on Middle Road..... We would simmer them in beer for a while then add green and red peppers and onions..... A bit of homemade tomato sauce and a long slow simmer until the sauce reduced by half made them sooooooo good..... Served on a fresh Mancini's roll (do they still make them?) with a cold beer on the side and it is nirvana!!!!!!! I made this last year in Wisconsin for the Packer / Steeler game - - - - my Son in law insisted on Brats, but I wanted him to have some real Pittsburgh food, too - - - I noticed that he came back for seconds and thirds and there were brats leftover.....

Not only do the Steelers have the best fans, but we have the best game day food, too.....

floodcitygirl 08-19-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

BTW, If I like it???!!! If either of you are cooking Italian.....I'm there! :excited:

83-Steelers-43 12-23-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamaduck43 (Post 138325)
Served on a fresh Mancini's roll (do they still make them?)

Yes they do. Go there every Saturday morning. They are still selling bread out of McKees Rocks.

Btw, your recipe sounds damn good (only with Ricci's sausage). I'll try it some time. Thanks.